Photo

Whats missing on my Losmandy polar finder?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hottr6

hottr6

Vanguard

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

I picked up this used Losmandy polar finder, and there seems to be a missing piece that prevents it from threading on to my G8 RA axis. What would you call the missing piece?

I'll call Losmandy and order the part, but I'll sound like an idiot if I say "I need this part, a piece that connects the polar finder to the 'scope... y'know, the thingamy..."

Attached Files

#2 MarioHummer

MarioHummer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

Hottr6,

You need a ring that sits right between the illuminator (the cylindrical part that sticks out to the side and on top of which an LED can be mounted) and the thread that can be seen on your picture of the polar scope (PS).

If you look at their page, http://www.losmandy.com/access.html, and scroll down to "PS", you'll be able to see it. It is not apparent in their enlarged jpg but the ring has an internal thread that, after you insert the PS into the polar axis bore hole, will fit the external thread at the end of the RA mount tube and secure the PS to it. You'll actually have to not tighten it too much in order to allow it to be turned as you adjust the RA axis towards the pole.

Hopefully you're confused enough by now... ;-)

Good luck!

#3 hottr6

hottr6

Vanguard

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

Confused? I'm always confused. :lol:

Best description that comes to mind is a coupler ring. I'll shoot Losmandy the photo. Thanks for suggestion.

#4 MarioHummer

MarioHummer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

Yup, that'd be a good name alright. Losmandy doesn't seem to offer the piece by itself but if you ask for or email Scott, he'll know.

#5 hottr6

hottr6

Vanguard

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:54 AM

Scott says it is an AP-made polar finder, from when Losmandy did not supply AP.

#6 Jeff Crilly

Jeff Crilly

Lift Off

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

Are you sure the "large exposed threaded part" does not unscrew from the polar scope part?

I bought a used ap900 once, came with a polar scope. At one point I upgraded the polar scope, and discovered the new one seemed to not fit. Then the folks at ap explained that there was this ring that needed to be removed from the old polar scope.. It was actually part of the mount.
It was really tight, bit did come loose.

Now if this was is clearly machined on... Then it's a different beast I suppose.

#7 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

Guess I'd call it the female threaded PS retaining ring.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics