Photo

Which plate for mounting lens on a VX mount?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MarioHummer

MarioHummer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, which is a great source of valuable info and also a place to give back to others what one may be able to.

I need a piece of advice, if possible. What kind of plate would be needed to use a DSLR camera lens mounted on the Celestron VX? I'm seriously considering buying a VX mount for my Canon 500mm f/4 and would like to know how to attach the lens to the VX. Celestron wasn't able to provide me with the answer.

I have an Arca Swiss-style plate (P-50) for the lens and I wonder if the VX would take such a plate. I also have the Losmandy Star Lapse gear, my current system, which comes with some plates of its own. I also wondered whether having the lens AND the optional 5" f/6 Newtonian would be an option...

Thanks for any pointers!

#2 nodalpoint

nodalpoint

Apollo

• Loc: FEMA camp

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

The mount will accept a Vixen style dovetail bar and onto that bar you would mount your camera.

ADM makes a lot of things that would help you mount your camera.

#3 MarioHummer

MarioHummer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

nodalpoint,

Thanks for the tip. Appreciated.

Would using a scope + guider to train the mount's PEC, then use the mount + lens only?

Thanks again.

#4 MarioHummer

MarioHummer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

Ops, I meant:

"Would using a scope + guider to train the mount's PEC, then use the mount + lens only be feasible?"

Thanks.

#5 nodalpoint

nodalpoint

Apollo

• Loc: FEMA camp

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

Sure, you could record PEC. But 500mm is a pretty long focal length and probably a minute or maybe two would be the limit unguided assuming good alignment and balance. If you have a guider why not run that when the camera is mounted?

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

Orion and others sell a Vixen compatible dovetail with a 1.25-inch bolt (like on a photographic tripod) that will allow you to attach a camera or a camera + ballhead.

#7 MarioHummer

MarioHummer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

Sure, you could record PEC. But 500mm is a pretty long focal length and probably a minute or maybe two would be the limit unguided assuming good alignment and balance. If you have a guider why not run that when the camera is mounted?

A valid comment indeed. The fact is, I am not/was not sure I can use both the camera+lens AND a telescope+guider *simultaneously*. Hence my asking about first training the PEC, then using the lens. Is THERE a way to have these two at the same time on the VX mount?

Thanks.

#8 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

The fact is, I am not/was not sure I can use both the camera+lens AND a telescope+guider *simultaneously*. Hence my asking about first training the PEC, then using the lens. Is THERE a way to have these two at the same time on the VX mount?

There are a couple of ways to do that.

#1 (this is how I do it) is to get a dovetail bar that is something like 7" long or longer, then on one end attach a camera ball-head or any other 1/4-20 bolt device to secure the camera. On the other end of the bar attach a finder scope base so you can mount a 50mm finder-guider. This gives you a small/compact equivalent of a Side By Side mount.

#2 would be to use a telescope as your guide-scope that is large enough to allow the camera to Piggyback on the scope. This depends a bit on what scope you have and how it connects to the mount (rings? built-in dovetail? etc) but is fairly easy. The whole setup will likely end up being heavier and certainly bulkier then #1 but may be easier to do with what you already have.

#9 MarioHummer

MarioHummer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

Orion and others sell a Vixen compatible dovetail with a 1.25-inch bolt (like on a photographic tripod) that will allow you to attach a camera or a camera + ballhead.

Thanks for the hint, Rod. I guess I could then attach either the lens' foot (the camera 'hangs' from the lens' end) or the Wimberley head to the dovetail.

#10 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:28 PM

This is what I am talking about.

This is not on an AVX, but it uses the same Vixen type dovetail so it applies. Also as I often have this thing loaded with two cameras, two 300mm camera lenses and a 50mm guide scope it is more complex and beefy then yours would need to be. Still - you get the idea. Bar across, camera on one side, guider on the other. (I have a red-dot finder in the middle right now to make it easier to do the initial go-to calibration at startup)

Depending on how wide your camera lens is you might be able to use just one of these Astrotech 7" Universal Dovetail. There is a proper sized hole in each end that will let a 1/4-20 screw through as well as a 1/4-20 threaded hole so using a 1/4-20 cap **** can mount your camera lens' tripod collar to one side easy enough, and one of these finder scope mount bases for the other end. Assuming you already have a 50mm finder-guide scope total cost is only $50 or so. :)

ADM Accessories does have rather a lot of nice gear though. Spend a bit extra there and you will have no problem coming up with various options to do the same trick in more flexible ways.

Attached Files

#11 MarioHummer

MarioHummer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:13 PM

The fact is, I am not/was not sure I can use both the camera+lens AND a telescope+guider *simultaneously*. Hence my asking about first training the PEC, then using the lens. Is THERE a way to have these two at the same time on the VX mount?

There are a couple of ways to do that.

#1 (this is how I do it) is to get a dovetail bar that is something like 7" long or longer, then on one end attach a camera ball-head (...) to secure the camera. On the other end of the bar attach a finder scope base so you can mount a 50mm finder-guider. (...)

#2 would be to use a telescope as your guide-scope that is large enough to allow the camera to Piggyback on the scope. (...)

Thanks for sharing, Sean.

Wrt #2, my lens is a little beast; with the camera (40D), it is over 4 kg (~9 lb), so maintaining this coupled to the finderscope/guider might perhaps be less stable than #1.

In fact, your suggestion #1 sounds already pretty good, if one manages the balance and the relative rigidity well (which seems feasible).

Thank you again for your ideas.

#12 MarioHummer

MarioHummer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:24 PM

This is what I am talking about.

(...)

ADM Accessories does have rather a lot of nice gear though. Spend a bit extra there and you will have no problem coming up with various options to do the same trick in more flexible ways.

Your 2nd msg arrived as I was editing my quote above. Thanks for the details. Yup, I sort of had interpreted your suggestion #1 right... But your pic and comments surely helped! Indeed appreciated.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics