Photo

Which plate for mounting lens on a VX mount?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MarioHummer

MarioHummer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, which is a great source of valuable info and also a place to give back to others what one may be able to.

I need a piece of advice, if possible. What kind of plate would be needed to use a DSLR camera lens mounted on the Celestron VX? I'm seriously considering buying a VX mount for my Canon 500mm f/4 and would like to know how to attach the lens to the VX. Celestron wasn't able to provide me with the answer.

I have an Arca Swiss-style plate (P-50) for the lens and I wonder if the VX would take such a plate. I also have the Losmandy Star Lapse gear, my current system, which comes with some plates of its own. I also wondered whether having the lens AND the optional 5" f/6 Newtonian would be an option...

Thanks for any pointers!

#2 nodalpoint

nodalpoint

Apollo

• Loc: FEMA camp

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

The mount will accept a Vixen style dovetail bar and onto that bar you would mount your camera.

ADM makes a lot of things that would help you mount your camera.

#3 MarioHummer

MarioHummer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

nodalpoint,

Thanks for the tip. Appreciated.

Would using a scope + guider to train the mount's PEC, then use the mount + lens only?

Thanks again.

#4 MarioHummer

MarioHummer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

Ops, I meant:

"Would using a scope + guider to train the mount's PEC, then use the mount + lens only be feasible?"

Thanks.

#5 nodalpoint

nodalpoint

Apollo

• Loc: FEMA camp

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

Sure, you could record PEC. But 500mm is a pretty long focal length and probably a minute or maybe two would be the limit unguided assuming good alignment and balance. If you have a guider why not run that when the camera is mounted?

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

Orion and others sell a Vixen compatible dovetail with a 1.25-inch bolt (like on a photographic tripod) that will allow you to attach a camera or a camera + ballhead.

#7 MarioHummer

MarioHummer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

Sure, you could record PEC. But 500mm is a pretty long focal length and probably a minute or maybe two would be the limit unguided assuming good alignment and balance. If you have a guider why not run that when the camera is mounted?

A valid comment indeed. The fact is, I am not/was not sure I can use both the camera+lens AND a telescope+guider *simultaneously*. Hence my asking about first training the PEC, then using the lens. Is THERE a way to have these two at the same time on the VX mount?

Thanks.

#8 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

The fact is, I am not/was not sure I can use both the camera+lens AND a telescope+guider *simultaneously*. Hence my asking about first training the PEC, then using the lens. Is THERE a way to have these two at the same time on the VX mount?

There are a couple of ways to do that.

#1 (this is how I do it) is to get a dovetail bar that is something like 7" long or longer, then on one end attach a camera ball-head or any other 1/4-20 bolt device to secure the camera. On the other end of the bar attach a finder scope base so you can mount a 50mm finder-guider. This gives you a small/compact equivalent of a Side By Side mount.

#2 would be to use a telescope as your guide-scope that is large enough to allow the camera to Piggyback on the scope. This depends a bit on what scope you have and how it connects to the mount (rings? built-in dovetail? etc) but is fairly easy. The whole setup will likely end up being heavier and certainly bulkier then #1 but may be easier to do with what you already have.

#9 MarioHummer

MarioHummer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

Orion and others sell a Vixen compatible dovetail with a 1.25-inch bolt (like on a photographic tripod) that will allow you to attach a camera or a camera + ballhead.

Thanks for the hint, Rod. I guess I could then attach either the lens' foot (the camera 'hangs' from the lens' end) or the Wimberley head to the dovetail.

#10 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:28 PM

This is what I am talking about.

This is not on an AVX, but it uses the same Vixen type dovetail so it applies. Also as I often have this thing loaded with two cameras, two 300mm camera lenses and a 50mm guide scope it is more complex and beefy then yours would need to be. Still - you get the idea. Bar across, camera on one side, guider on the other. (I have a red-dot finder in the middle right now to make it easier to do the initial go-to calibration at startup)

Depending on how wide your camera lens is you might be able to use just one of these Astrotech 7" Universal Dovetail. There is a proper sized hole in each end that will let a 1/4-20 screw through as well as a 1/4-20 threaded hole so using a 1/4-20 cap screw you can mount your camera lens' tripod collar to one side easy enough, and one of these finder scope mount bases for the other end. Assuming you already have a 50mm finder-guide scope total cost is only $50 or so. :)

ADM Accessories does have rather a lot of nice gear though. Spend a bit extra there and you will have no problem coming up with various options to do the same trick in more flexible ways.

Attached Files

#11 MarioHummer

MarioHummer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:13 PM

The fact is, I am not/was not sure I can use both the camera+lens AND a telescope+guider *simultaneously*. Hence my asking about first training the PEC, then using the lens. Is THERE a way to have these two at the same time on the VX mount?

There are a couple of ways to do that.

#1 (this is how I do it) is to get a dovetail bar that is something like 7" long or longer, then on one end attach a camera ball-head (...) to secure the camera. On the other end of the bar attach a finder scope base so you can mount a 50mm finder-guider. (...)

#2 would be to use a telescope as your guide-scope that is large enough to allow the camera to Piggyback on the scope. (...)

Thanks for sharing, Sean.

Wrt #2, my lens is a little beast; with the camera (40D), it is over 4 kg (~9 lb), so maintaining this coupled to the finderscope/guider might perhaps be less stable than #1.

In fact, your suggestion #1 sounds already pretty good, if one manages the balance and the relative rigidity well (which seems feasible).

Thank you again for your ideas.

#12 MarioHummer

MarioHummer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:24 PM

This is what I am talking about.

(...)

ADM Accessories does have rather a lot of nice gear though. Spend a bit extra there and you will have no problem coming up with various options to do the same trick in more flexible ways.

Your 2nd msg arrived as I was editing my quote above. Thanks for the details. Yup, I sort of had interpreted your suggestion #1 right... But your pic and comments surely helped! Indeed appreciated.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics