Alpine Rille

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:07 AM

I normally don't do moon sketches, I leave that to the professionals. It's pretty tough. So this is officially my second one.

But, tonight the Alpine Rille was the best I have ever seen it, so I had to share it.

Seeing was about 8/10, transparency was good. 8 Feb 1200UT at 320x with 6mm TMB II.

Attached Files

#2 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

Norme, that's not an area I'm familiar with. Amazing 3D effect, here! You should consider doing more of these. I like how your digital medium works with this kind of subject. Best of all is that sweeping reflection at the bottom/center of the image. Nicely done, bro.

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

Thanks, Jason. You know, the pencil sketch looked like a total mess. This is cleaner.

I have a habit of trying to note every detail. It turns out even though the shadows might change a bit, at least the darn things doesn't rotate. So, there's time, but it gets very busy very quickly.

I might try sketching the moon more often, get more familiar with it. It took a while at the eyepiece, but doing it up in this paint program was a snap, really...

The darker albedo is just parts I ignored...and the sweeping background looks like a lady riding a horse (ref to the ink blot thing.)

#4 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

Norme,

Terrific capture and it is easy to tell you had very good skies to sketch. I can see tthe details very nicely.

#5 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

Wow, thank you, Jay. Yea, it was a good night. Unfortunately it never cleared, again.

Man, nothing worse than 8/10 seeing above a low overcast cloud layer. Well, going to be with overcast skies and waking to clear blue ones is a close second. :lol:

#6 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

Norme,

Wonderful sketch. It speaks volumes to the quality of your scope and the talent you have for digital sketching.
Your Jupiter sketches are likewise the same highest quality.
This is a frequent target of many sketchers that I have avoided until I get that evening of perfect seeing to do justice to the rille down the center of the Alpine Valley.
I can clearly see it my 18 inch scope but not in recent years because of poor seeing at the ideal light and shadow time.

Frank :)

#7 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

You should do more moonsketches.

#8 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

Nice work Norme,

I like it very much. Always plenty to see on the Moon.

Ken

#9 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

Wow the alpine rille, the holy grail of lunatics. I have often tried to observe this my 6" achro , but it has never revealed itself to me, the best I can do is see the dark shadow defining the valley's walls, again great catch, great sketch, sharp eyesight, superb seeing and a very sharp MCT.

#10 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:22 PM

Frank, yea, I've been impressed with the scope. It's a keeper. The biggest thing is excellent seeing, cooled and collimated. Wow, the combination offers views that exceed my wildest expectations. But, yes, it's not always visible due to seeing. This is only my third sighting in many, many attempts.

I appreciate your take on the sketch and technique. When I first drew it, I chuckled to myself because I though it looked silly. But, I wanted to illustrate the rille. It grew on me and it turned out okay.

Jef, I always find lunar sketching rather difficult in that there is so much detail (more than the sketch lets on.) But, it seems you have time as it does not rotate like Jupiter. So, maybe it's not as difficult and I want to try more sketches.

Ken, you got that right. Maybe I will spend more time with the moon.

Tommy, you bet. It's a holy grail. For the longest time I figured it could not be done in a 6" aperture, I was shocked when it appears it can be - if conditions are exactly perfect. Last night, I think the valley was about 2 days out from the terminator, maybe that's a key point in lunar observation.

What was interesting was the soft bright wall and the soft dark shadow defining it. Then the rather sharp edge to some apparently darker albedo that seems to define it, as well. After doing some research, it turns out that section near the center of the valley is the widest at about 1k and deepest part of the rille. That adds confidence to the sighting.

Thank you all...

#11 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:49 PM

Norme this is excellent and very well illustrated. You are too hard on yourself. I'm wondering if this isn't mirror reversed though?

Excellent - Ive seen the morse code effect somewhat like yours but nuts been a while.

This is very nice .

Pete

#12 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:55 AM

It should be mirror reversed, it pointed basically to the left in my FOV...away from the terminator to the right. When I look at the moon naked eye, the terminator is to the left and Alpine would point to the right (or west, I guess.)

I was viewing on the western side of the meridian, now I am confused...but that's how it looked so it has to be right. (LOL) In fact, I had to flip images to see what I was seeing correctly, but were they mirror reversed and mine is not. :shrug: :lol:

Mine should be reversed north and south while east and west are the same with a diagonal, but that changes with diagonal rotation. *BLEEP*, it's right, Pete... LOL :foreheadslap:

#13 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:28 PM

Nice one Norme.

Andre

#14 Tamas Bognar

Tamas Bognar

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Hungary, Zákány

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:36 AM

Norme = master of the digital drawing! :)

It also drew a mouse?

#15 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

Norme,

Good sketch of Alpine Rille :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#16 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Apollo

• -----

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:27 AM

Great sketch and catch! The Alpine Rille is one of my favorite lunar holly trail subjects.

CM

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics