• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OLDTIMER77

OLDTIMER77

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

Hi Everyone
I understand that one of the original engineers/consultants of the fabled Astro Physics and Paramount ME/MX classy range of Mounts was Rob Miller, who before emigrating to the USA, had been building high quality instruments for many years in this Country.
I came to know of this brilliant engineer back in the 1990's.when I was buying eyepieces from David Hinds who in those days had a factory and show rooms in Tring Hertfordshire………At this time Rob was producing Mounts/'Scopes at his factory and having seen examples of his work I contracted to buy his portable, precision PM1 equatorial head, with the QS5 dual axis stepper motor drive and hand controller………..At that time I also ordered a 10inch f4.3 Newtonian System. When these instruments were completed Rob very kindly personally delivered the Mount, scope and equipment to my home, some distant away.
Although the Newtonian mirror requires re-aluminising the PM 1 Mount still functions well, so I would be very interested to hear from anyone who acquired/ purchased one of Rob Miller's superbly engineered equatorial mounts complete with setting circles and regularly uses this gear.
Clear skies to all….(rather hopeful statement ivo the appalling weather for the last month or two)
OldTimer

#2 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:06 AM

I would sure like to be one who regularly uses his gear. My understanding is the only way for that to happen is to buy used.

#3 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

I have one of his tripods. They are awesome. It's 8lbs and will hold my 100lbs of gear no problem. And this is for imaging.

I just wish he was still selling them.

#4 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

Not a PM1 mount but this is my 215mm F/5 Newtonian made by Rob Miller.

Attached Files

#5 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

Gee... i thought someone had finally heard from him.

i'm kicking myself for not buying one of his tripods a couple years back.

#6 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

I have one of his tripods, it's fantastic. I wish I had bought the leveling feet with it.

#7 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

Hi Everyone
I understand that one of the original engineers/consultants of the fabled Astro Physics and Paramount ME/MX classy range of Mounts was Rob Miller, who before emigrating to the USA, had been building high quality instruments for many years in this Country.
I came to know of this brilliant engineer back in the 1990's.when I was buying eyepieces from David Hinds who in those days had a factory and show rooms in Tring Hertfordshire………At this time Rob was producing Mounts/'Scopes at his factory and having seen examples of his work I contracted to buy his portable, precision PM1 equatorial head, with the QS5 dual axis stepper motor drive and hand controller………..At that time I also ordered a 10inch f4.3 Newtonian System. When these instruments were completed Rob very kindly personally delivered the Mount, scope and equipment to my home, some distant away.
Although the Newtonian mirror requires re-aluminising the PM 1 Mount still functions well, so I would be very interested to hear from anyone who acquired/ purchased one of Rob Miller's superbly engineered equatorial mounts complete with setting circles and regularly uses this gear.
Clear skies to all….(rather hopeful statement ivo the appalling weather for the last month or two)
OldTimer

Can you supply us with some pictures? I'd love to see more of his work. Has ANYBODY heard from Rob recently?

As an aside since I keep getting asked, Yes, I have the two tripods I reviewed; No, I did not receive any sort of special pricing other than the introductory price available to everyone who ordered at the time; No, I am not dead yet so they are NOT FOR SALE!

#8 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

No, I am not dead yet so they are NOT FOR SALE!

That can easily be solved. :mrevil:

#9 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

No, I am not dead yet so they are NOT FOR SALE!

That can easily be solved. :mrevil:

:grin:

#10 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

Would you post a link to your hometown newspaper?

Thanks awfully!

#11 OLDTIMER77

OLDTIMER77

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

I will certain post some pictures when I learn how to transfer them /upload them from my Laptop file 'My Pictures'
OldTimer77

#12 OLDTIMER77

OLDTIMER77

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

Greetings all Rob Miller fans.
My pathetic attempts to upload a photo of my old PM1 Mount have resulted in uploading a picture to my Gallery.
Please go to View Users Profile, then click on Users Posts then to the right click on Gallery.
Hopefully this should take you to the uploaded photo.
Goodluck
OldTimer

Attached Files

#13 OLDTIMER77

OLDTIMER77

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

Oh Dear, managed to transfer photo to my last post
OldTimer

#14 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:24 PM

Greetings all Rob Miller fans.
My pathetic attempts to upload a photo of my old PM1 Mount have resulted in uploading a picture to my Gallery.
Please go to View Users Profile, then click on Users Posts then to the right click on Gallery.
Hopefully this should take you to the uploaded photo.
Goodluck
OldTimer

Looks pretty interesting. Once can sure see the commonalities between this and the early Astro-Physics line-up!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics