•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Show your Obs...From Space!

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#101 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:13 PM

Not a bad set up you have there, Christopher.

Keeps me busy day and night!

Do you occasionally get to use any of them?

Actually, yes.

We call 'em "engineering nights".

It's when we get the scope for a night to do engineering runs to test or troubleshoot scopes and/or various instruments or control systems.

Imagine having the Keck Twins for an engineering night?  Kind of like driving a Ferrari F4 down to the 7/11 for some milk and eggs.  ;-)

The Keck twins are rarely used together these days and mostly run independent observing schedules.  Due to NASA's decision to terminate funding, the Keck interferometer has been mothballed until further notice.  The other instruments on each scope are a bit different so there would be reasons why a researcher would want to use either Keck1 or Keck2.  And I can't think of a time in recent history that both scopes were scheduled for engineering nights at the same time. 

Keck has a large existing engineering team and so far has not needed my company to provide any engineering or technical services.

#102 rimcrazy

rimcrazy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Overgaard, AZ

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:17 PM

Actually, yes.

It's when we get the scope for a night to do engineering runs to test or troubleshoot scopes and/or various instruments or control systems.

Imagine having the Keck Twins for an engineering night?  Kind of like driving a Ferrari F4 down to the 7/11 for some milk and eggs.  ;-)

The Keck twins are rarely used together these days and mostly run independent observing schedules.  Due to NASA's decision to terminate funding, the Keck interferometer has been mothballed until further notice.  The other instruments on each scope are a bit different so there would be reasons why a researcher would want to use either Keck1 or Keck2.  And I can't think of a time in recent history that both scopes were scheduled for engineering nights at the same time. 

Keck has a large existing engineering team and so far has not needed my company to provide any engineering or technical services.

Too bad but still very cool all of the neat toys you get to play with.  I played a small, insignficant part on the startup of the Lowell DCT and got to be there first hand in it's construction and initial turn on.  Quite an amazing experience to be so close to such amazing technology.  Quite the engineering marvel.  

#103 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:49 PM

Actually, yes.

Too bad but still very cool all of the neat toys you get to play with.  I played a small, insignficant part on the startup of the Lowell DCT and got to be there first hand in it's construction and initial turn on.  Quite an amazing experience to be so close to such amazing technology.  Quite the engineering marvel.  

That would have been really cool to be there too.  I have seen lots of pics and a video of the construction.

#104 rimcrazy

rimcrazy

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:26 AM

If the video you saw happened to be a time-lapse that was mine.  I strapped my Canon 7D to a platform on the inside of the dome and shot continuous time-lapse images over a 3-4 month period.  If I remember I took one image every 3 minutes.  I had it figured such that every 2 weeks I would drive up and swap memory cards.  Lots of boring stills interspersed with very cool action when the cranes came in to load things in through the slot.  Very slick.

#105 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:06 PM

If the video you saw happened to be a time-lapse that was mine.  I strapped my Canon 7D to a platform on the inside of the dome and shot continuous time-lapse images over a 3-4 month period.  If I remember I took one image every 3 minutes.  I had it figured such that every 2 weeks I would drive up and swap memory cards.  Lots of boring stills interspersed with very cool action when the cranes came in to load things in through the slot.  Very slick.

Then I did see your video!  Way cool!

I would love to get an engineer's tour of that observatory some day.

And I can reciprocate on Mauna Kea!

#106 rimcrazy

rimcrazy

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:55 PM

Then I did see your video!  Way cool!

I would love to get an engineer's tour of that observatory some day.

And I can reciprocate on Mauna Kea!

Unfortunately I do not do anything more with the folks there but if you happen to be going out that way, I know the right person to put you in touch with and given your position, I'm sure you could work out some kind of very nice deal.  Send me a PM before you go and I'll get you the information.

#107 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Messenger

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:10 PM

10' geodesic dome.

Attached Files

• Attached File  SSO.png   412.42KB   5 downloads

Edited by Marc-Andre, 11 June 2016 - 04:24 PM.

#108 starquake

starquake

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 47.114740, 18.241846

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:25 PM

12.5' steel DIY dome.

Attached File  tmo.png   473.97KB   4 downloads

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics