By John MacDonough

#2 Husbyggarn

Husbyggarn

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

Thanks for the report!
I have the Skywatcher HEQ5 = Sirius. But non-goto version. So my hand-paddle only have slow-mo buttons.
I find it very stable and sturdy, and it works well.
I can carry it out with my scope and counterweights on, saves lots of time.
My only gripe is the lack of polarscope illumination on my model, but this seems to have been added in later models. And a bubble-level would be nice also... of course one can DIY this. Overall i'm happy with it.

#3 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Mariner 2

• Loc: Southwestern Indiana

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:39 AM

John you have done an excellent job describing the pros and cons of the Orion Sirius EQ-G  Computerized Mount. I found your instructions for polar alignment very informative. Thanks for including the link to astro-baby's rebuilding instructions; I only wish I would have had this information available when I tweaked my Sirius mount last winter.
A super cool alternative to using the hand controller is The EQMOD Project http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/ , which I find to be a most valuable tool when coupled with Orion's  Starry Night Planetarium software. I simply click on an object on the Starry Night planetarium screen and it directs the mount to slew to it.
Comprehensive and easy to understand, your article was a pleasure to read, keep up the good work Sir. Clear skies and remember to,"Keep looking up!"
Bill

Edited by PhaedrusUpshaw, 09 August 2014 - 11:47 AM.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics