Crater Epigenes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:04 AM

Ok, this time I was able to find the crater name. Scanning along the terminator, man, one crater was really bulging out into the darkness. You really get a feel for how huge it is. But, it was far too complex to attempt.

So, I settled for Epigenes, a quite interesting crater almost due north of Plato. Looks kind of weird, but that's what it looked like to me...in that lighting. Plus, I wanted to practice some technique, see if I could get the hang of putting down digital paint and make it look right.

Clouds rolled in as I was finishing up the southern (left) section, or I would have included a bit more. Again, I was at 320x in about 7/10 Pickering on 10 Fed about 1200UT.

Attached Files

#2 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

Norme,
This one is very interesting. Nice shadows. I like it.

Ken

#3 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

Norme,

Very nice sketch of Crter Epigenes :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#4 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:44 PM

Ken, my girlfriend said it looks like a guitar. It does. It has that bent shadow and a straight wall, then opposite it's lit rim is more tear dropped. Not sure if the 'neck' is part of the crater or not, but it looked associated. It is weird looking at this angle, no doubt, being near the pole and sun lit in this way.

Thanks, Tom.

#5 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

You know what - you've got this signature style Norme. Id keep with the lunar drawings .

Pete

#6 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:13 PM

You sure it isn't this one by Bond?

Pete

Attached Files

#7 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:29 PM

Thank you for figuring out the name this time. :lol:

Looks like my daughter's ukulele. :grin:

Okay, enough joking around here. Looks quite good. I feel like you are starting to come up with repeatable techniques for the shading. I really like this.

#8 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:40 PM

Pete, I dunno where Bond is, but it has to be Epigenes. It just has features that match what I saw. Darn it, I forgot to check SS, need to remember that. I wonder if it shows the shading, too. That would be great. :)

Yea, I will claim this style and run with it and maybe even try some media Tamas recommends.

Jason, man, identification among the thousands can be difficult. I get lost on the moon, embarrassed to admit that. :grin:

Yea, maybe technique is coming around, still it produces weird looking renditions. Like a ukulele. :lol:

#9 Tamas Bognar

Tamas Bognar

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Hungary, Zákány

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:34 AM

Norme,
This one is very interesting. Nice shadows. I like it.
Ken

Yes. This is very unique. The shadows are very delicious. It is almost ethereal.
In contrast there are craters. It's like glow.

I like your drawing! This is very good. Norm is a master of the digital drawing?

Bother me one thing only. Too "pure" of the drawing. :) It bothered me when I drew it. This is due to the drawing technique. But this is no longer philosophy and drawing. :)

#10 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:34 AM

What the heck? When I took a hiatus a couple of weeks ago, Norme was sketching Jove. I come back and you're already well into Lunar mode :D

I like 'em!

:grin:

-stray-

ps--I've done some experiments with he lunar surface in Paint.net & Gimp. Nothing quite like this though.

#11 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:02 AM

Tamas, yes there is a bit of pure cleanliness to the sketch. It is almost too pure, lacking the roughness and dusty appearance.

Thanks, Mark, but the Plato challenge kind of swerved my interest for the time being. I am becoming a bit of a lunar-tic. May just run with it, see where it goes...

#12 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:37 AM

Norme,

You take this idea of lunar sketching and run with it. Your skills developed drawing the planets are working perfectly on the Moon too.

Frank :)

#13 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

I appreciate the encouragement, Frank...you know, the one above is a bit elongated, but that'll come. I am trying to dirty them up a little...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics