Photo

What are the crosses in "21st Century Atlas" for?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Saint Aardvark

Saint Aardvark

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:54 PM

Hi all -- I've just received my copy of "21st Century Atlas of the Moon" by Charles Wood. I'm enjoying it immensely, but there's one thing I can't figure out: What are all the crosses for on the plates?

For example: On plate 2 ("Crisium 2"), there are crosses on the plate at Cannon, Condon, Watts, Tebbutt and Shapley crater (not to mention Schubert, Banachiewicz, Nobili and Jenkins). These are separate from the crosses marking the landing sites of Luna 20 and 24. There are a lot of other plates marked this way, too.

I can't figure out what's special about these craters, and I can't find anything in the book explaining what it's for. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

#2 moonnerd

moonnerd

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:50 AM

Could those photos been taken by the Apollo astronauts? Their photos had cross hairs so they could measure features in the images or know more about how the image was taken.

If the photos in question were not from the Apollo missions, I have no idea. I'm glad you like the book. Did you get it from Amazon a couple of days ago? I was about to select the last copy, but when I got to the check out cart it was already gone.

#3 Saint Aardvark

Saint Aardvark

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:50 AM

Could those photos been taken by the Apollo astronauts? Their photos had cross hairs so they could measure features in the images or know more about how the image was taken.

I know the crosses you mean, and no, that's not it. If you look at the sample images on the LPOD wiki, you can see what I mean if you squint:

• On chart 9, right-hand side, there are crosses on Hooke and Carrington.
  • On chart L2 (East Limb), there are crosses on Peek, Tacchini, Respighi, Liouville, Nobili, Jenkins and Behaim.

I'm glad you like the book. Did you get it from Amazon a couple of days ago? I was about to select the last copy, but when I got to the check out cart it was already gone.

Yes I did, and that might well have been me. Sorry. :)

#4 Mare Nectaris

Mare Nectaris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toijala, Finland

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

I'd guess the crosses simply cartografically specify a given name with a given crater if there is a possibility for a mix-up.

Be well!

#5 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:08 PM

I'm guessing just "indicators" for smaller craters.

#6 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

Yep, they are all in craters which might not be clearly identified by the placement of the name alone.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics