Photo

Jan14 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Jan14 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll! (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Which image/sketch is our winner?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:55 AM

Welcome to the January 2014 Cloudy Nights Imaging/Sketching Contest poll!

Each month the best images selected from the individual Cloudy Nights Imaging and Sketching forums will be presented for the userbase to vote on. The winning entry will be posted on the front page of the CN website for all to admire! At the conclusion of the poll, the entry with the highest total will be the winner of the contest..

Please choose your favorite from the entries below. The poll will remain open through February 20th at midnight.

Here are the entries for January!

Film Astrophotography's Finalist - Michal1

Posted Image

Hello, here is my submission for January.

Bigger (2.1 Mpix) and biggest (3.2 Mpix) versions.
Milky Way in Perseus and Auriga. Photographed by Michal Bilek (Michal1) near the Votice town in the Czech Republic.
Setup: Pentax 6x7 camera, EQ6 mount, Kodak E200 film 120 format, Takumar 105mm lens @ f/4, exposure time 40 min (continuous), scanned on Nikon 9000 Coolscan at 2500 DPI.

CCD Imaging & Processing's Finalist - alpal

Posted Image

Eta Carinae NGC 3372

Full frame.
55 minutes total integration time.
1 x 10 minutes Ha as Luminance binned 1x1 blended 50%.
3 x 5 minutes each of RGB binned 2x2.
FWHM under 3.5 arc seconds.

Location - outer suburb of Melbourne Australia 29th Jan 2014.
8" f6 Newt, NEQ6 modified mount, QHY9 mono camera.
Astronomik 2" CLS-CCD filter in front of all 2" filters.
PHD guiding with Lodestar & TS9 OAG, Baader RCC coma corrector,
DSS, FITS Liberator, PS CS5.

Larger version on flickr - 1,920px × 1,453px, 3.0 MByte.
see here:

http://www.flickr.co...074866/sizes/o/

Sketching's Finalist - Asbytec

Posted Image

Here's my entry for Jan 2014 sketching contest.

I chose this one because it was the most unique so far this season. The Io transit shortly after opposition was amazing in that I suspected being able to observe Io eclipse it's own shadow. It was also faintly visible against the SEBn.

The festooning was pretty nice, but the cloud features in the north were quite nice even if LRS-1 was missed. Some of the rifting in the SEB was unique, as well, in that it's not often observed. Neither are the ovals in the SSTeB preceding the GRS. It was a great night worthy of sharing.

This sketch was made beginning 1700UT on 8 Jan from Luzon in the Philippines. Seeing was good to excellent, transparency was average. Equipment used was a 150mm MCT on an undriven EQ mount. Magnification was 240x with 8mm TMB II.

I'd prefer to submit the sketch in my avatar, it is more detailed and maybe a little better rendered. This one is more unique, so it was a tough choice. I hope I chose well. The write up is here.

Good Luck to all our finalists!

#2 alpal

alpal

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne Australia.

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

Congratulations to Norme - a fine sketch.

cheers
Allan

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:26 PM

Allan, thank you. Your image is stunning, as well.

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

Terrific work guys.

The uncanny sight of Io projected above Jupiter like that resting in its own shadow has a unique 3D effect that's quite captivating. How often its no where near its shadow and can be lost in the mix as it transits.

Pete

#5 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:56 PM

Pete, that's what made Io amazing. The shadow was not steady in modest seeing, but it did appear elliptical instead of round quite often. This gave me the impression Io was eclipsing its shadow so I interpreted it that way. The sketch is static and too clear in that way.

I could not see Io so much as just able to tell where it was. It's hard to convey that in a sketch, but I tried. At times, I thought it might peak into the EZ south. However, seeing where Io was and it's shadow were very close together. If the shadow were further out, I am sure Io would have been much more difficult to locate. The perceived elliptical behavior of the shadow actually aided in locating it, if that makes any sense. "Oh, yea, Io is right there. Right next to it's shadow. Cool! Is it overlapping this far past opposition? Man, hard to tell, but maybe it is."

Doing the math as to whether the eclipse of it's own shadow was possible turned out to be very close and inconclusive either way. It just might have covered a small edge of it's shadow. Maybe someone with better skill at ephemeris can say better whether it actually was or not.

In any case, it's an interpretation of what looked to be a very slight overlap and not an image proving it either way. I really think it was, though. That was the impression I was getting without knowing in advance, only knowing Jove was past opposition. It was a nice sight, regardless, and worthy of a sketch.

#6 Michal1

Michal1

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

Congratulations Norme! Nice images of you both!

#7 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

Thank you, Michal. Your image was just as nice.

#8 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

Great work here from everyone. Congratulations Norme. Your sketches are awesome.

Dean

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics