PE logging with Metaguide?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

I have been using PHD for guiding and measuring PE of my mount by turning off guide commands. I am thinking of using Metaguide but saw no way to turn off guide commands. How does one log the PE?

#2 diurnal

diurnal

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alabama

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

PecPrep is a free program that will take phd logs and show you your PE.

also there is like 6 videos on youtube to show you how to use it.

#3 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

Thanks I will search some more. I have used PECPREP with PHD. I was wanting to record the data using metaguide. Thanks again.

#4 freestar8n

freestar8n

Soyuz

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:11 AM

I am thinking of using Metaguide but saw no way to turn off guide commands. How does one log the PE?

Hi-

MG works very well for guide logging - with or without guiding enabled. It records logs in three different formats, one of which works directly with PECPrep from the EQMod project.

It is different in several ways because it uses video to calculate the centroid accurately, and it logs values every second, regardless of the guide period or exposure.

The simplest way to record a log is just to connect a video camera, enter the focal length and pixel size, and then press "Log". It will then begin a dump of output files with the pixel x,y locations and the locations in arc-seconds.

If you want to record a log with guiding enabled, just press the Calibrate button and it will calibrate on a star in about 1 minute, then press Guide, and then press Log.

Each file is annotated with the information about the setup so that you can relate the values to what it assumes about the focal length and other parameters.

The full log records the current settings for values like aggressiveness, so you can study them to determine the best settings.

More details can be found in the docs, and by looking at the headers of the log files that are output.

Frank

#5 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:06 AM

Thanks a bunch. I only had a brief opportunity to use it. I only logged my guided info. It looks like a very nice program for a video camera user.

#6 calypsob

calypsob

Viking 1

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:39 AM

so does it work better than phd? I downloaded this and FlexRX, and have been meaning to try them out.

#7 freestar8n

freestar8n

Soyuz

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:41 AM

MG came out many years ago and was designed from the start to take advantage of video features to reduce the impact of seeing on centroids that impact autoguiding, collimation, and PE logging. It is easy to use, also partly because everything is "live" with video - but ease of use wasn't the main goal. The main goal was to experiment with novel video approaches to guiding, logging, and collimation to achieve better results.

When people record PE logs with updates every 3 seconds and a blurred star spot, the log will lose resolution that would reveal gear noise that is important to guiding. With MG you get updates every second with an accurate centroid, less affected by seeing, and the result can tell you more about the mount.

It works directly with PECPrep to study the gear terms - or the detailed log outputs, with 30-40 columns, can be used for custom analysis.

When used in combination with FlexRX, you have a unique solution based on free tools to compensate for flexure in a guidescope guided image - by plate solving and dynamically shifting the guidestar. I don't know anything else that does this.

Frank

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics