Photo

Can't Post My Gallery.Embarrassing to ask Help?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:13 AM

To any or all

It's been awhile since I have posted any new images to my gallery. Last time I had trouble simply posting to the forums or the monthly competition. Now it is the old gallery apparently too full of old images and out of memory, I presume?

I remember a moderator telling me some years ago that our galleries have limited space. So I just eliminated two old images thinking it would free up space for a new image to post. It didn't work. It posts only a thumbnail symbol that says "Thumbnail Not Available" ??? :question:

My question is, am I not uploading into the proper parameters? A 99.1 Kb image at 800 X 600 pxls should be acceptable from what I recall. Is it just that there is not enough available gallery space for one more image?

I'll look forward to anything that any of you can advise, (I have written the moderator several times in the past months but receive no response to help.)

Thank you,

Mark

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:27 AM

I don't remember the formats accepted, surely you would have been warned if it was wrong. But you can check to see if it's one the gallery accepts, it likes .jpeg and not .png files, for example. Other than the tings you mentioned, that's about the only easy fix I've had trouble with.

#3 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:48 AM

Thanks Norme

Yes as far as I know, I am doing everything I always did to post in the past. Or is it possible that in my older age I am forgetting things now? I hear the first sign of old age has three warning signs: The first is loss of memory... and I cannot remember the other two... :question: :foreheadslap: :tonofbricks: (that was a joke I remember from a morning radio DJ our parents played at the breakfast table before we went off to high school every day in the late 1960's.)

Anyway, I wrote to the moderator two or three times to ask and I get no reply after a month. :foreheadslap:

I will check all the other parameters of the simple JPG image file I am trying to upload and try it again, or wait to see what others might suggest. I seem to remember that our CN galleries are very limited on space. Hence why so many just post a link to another photo hosting site.

Thanks again for your quick reply tonight.

Mark

#4 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

Hey Mark, I'm stumped, but then I only partly understand. Are you referring got the CN gallery specifically? I gave up on using that years ago and converted to linking, like you suggest. Is there a reason you don't want to use an external site for linking? I'm not trying to sound pedantic either. If I can help your goal I'll definitely brainstorm. I'm just digging for additional pieces of info.

#5 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

Hi Jason

Yes, it is baffling but what I find worse is that I cannot get a response from the moderators when I write for help. I get the idea that they don't like me. One of them a few years ago was nice about it. That was Jeremy. He wrote back and told me that the Gallery Space at CN is very limited on storage space and that I'd have to eliminate old images before I could add new ones- that's fine I said. So I did that. Now as I free up space in my gallery again, it still does not allow me to upload new images. They come up with a response floating icon where the image should be- it instead reads after the upload "Cannot Display Thumbnail". Again, as I said yesterday, maybe I'm getting old and forgetting the procedures about how to upload. My image files are the same as always. Jpg's reduced to under 100 kb and approximately 800 pxl in perimeter size.

I still feel guilty a few months ago that I accidentally re-discovered how to upload to the sketch competition and won again to break the site all-time records and against the photographers again too at the mid-month but I don't feel that my work was up to par. So maybe someone at the site is taking this out on me for winning again and one final note- I have never received a CN T-shirt. Remember when they stopped the competition a few years ago to research why the T-shirts were not being sent out as gifts to the sketch competition winners? That was never resolved either.

Anyway I still love this site and everyone here as it is the best thing going in the world for astronomy sketch artists and overall great communications. I am really not complaining as I have enough designer clothes and don't really need a CN T-shirt- I was just admiring the fact that they would acknowledge the error of what happened to the T-shirts failing to mail out.

I'm just looking for some clear skies soon as I have to lecture again to a large University here and need to produce a new work before the 1st of March. I may be on the road for over the next two weeks to attend the John Dobson memorial in Hollywood Feb 23rd, then for the same event in San Francisco on ISAN night March 8th.

Thanks to everyone here,

*PS- Jason et al- here is the gallery site, as you can see the last post to it at the 1st page, there is just a little photo icon symbol after clicking on the image spot "Thumbnail Not Available" >
http://www.cloudynig...&cat=500&amp...

Cordially,

Mark

#6 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

Hi Mark,

I've contacted the admins and they are looking into both issues for you. As soon as I hear something I will get back to you.

#7 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:06 PM

Thanks Jay

I appreciate your help and quick response, :)

Mark

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics