Photo

Questar Power Cord

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Orion68

Orion68

Lift Off

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:05 AM

I just purchased a Questar Duplex and the cord sent with it will not fit the receptacle on the bottom of the scope. The cord that came with the scope looks to be a computer laptop cord.

Does anyone know if there is an after market cord that will work. I need the un-polarized cord, which I don't believe is available from Questar and longer.

Thanks for any suggestions.

#2 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:58 AM

Welcome on CN and congratulations on getting a Questar Duplex!

Questar will service any scope they ever made. They will likely have a new power cord for your Duplex. Questar works best when you give them a phone call and ask for Jim Reichert. You can also have yourself listed as the new owner of the Duplex. Questar keeps a record of all their scopes.

Now even without a proper cord, the Q is still a very enjoyable scope, so make sure you get out under the stars and have some fun with it.

#3 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Aurora

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

The cord is a typical one used on TV's in the 60's and 70's. The common name is a "cheater cord" . Here is listing on Ebay for one that looks the same as mine. http://www.ebay.com/...4612-6-ft-Po...

- Dave

#4 Orion68

Orion68

Lift Off

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

Hi Erik,

Thanks much for responding to my post and for the contact name at Questar. I believe the person I bought the scope from is going to contact Questar on my behalf.

The Questar website indicates that the old style, non-polarized power cord is no longer available and the new polarized cord requires a change-out of the receptacle in the base of the Q. I was hoping to simplify the process by finding an old style power cord through some other source. Probably a long shot to find a similar cord.

Thanks again. Clear skies to you and warm regards,
Tim

#5 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Aurora

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

Tim,
Did you miss my post ? The non-polarized ones are called "Cheaters" and are available on Ebay. See the link I provided. The cord in the listing is the same one that came with my 1961 Questar and is non polarized. You just need to replace the 110 volt plug end and that will cost about $2.

- Dave

#6 Orion68

Orion68

Lift Off

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

Dave,
So sorry, I did miss your post. Thanks much, I'll check it out.
Take care, Tim

#7 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

....... I need the un-polarized cord, which I don't believe is available from Questar and longer.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi Tim. Are you sure you need an "UNPOLARIZED" cord ?

Here is a photo showing the base and the cord of our 1971 Questar. The two pins in the base are a different size, and so are the plug prongs; that says "polarized" to me.

Attached Files

#8 Orion68

Orion68

Lift Off

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:47 AM

Hi Mike,

You are correct, the base in the picture is polarized. This is interesting because the Questar I bought is a 1978, but has the base plug with the prongs the same size, which would mean it is unpolarized.

I had better look again to make sure. Thanks for the great picture.

Tim

#9 Orion68

Orion68

Lift Off

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:55 AM

Mike,

I just looked again and both prongs are the same size. Curious that the earlier version is polarized, I would think it should be the other way around.

Wonder if anyone knows when Questar made the switch.

Thanks again, Tim

#10 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:35 AM

I have a Questar Instruction Book dated April 2000. It describes the Powerguide and our older Synchronous Electric Drive systems. On page 22 this note appears.....

" NOTE: The electrical plug is polarized and goes in only one way. If your cord becomes loose you can repair it by squeezing plug with pliers to close holes. "

I removed the base cover on our Q for a look, and both wires going into the motor housing are the same color, black.
Unless you have an electrical tester, you might want to give Questar a call at 1 (215) 862-5277

Attached Files

#11 Orion68

Orion68

Lift Off

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:50 PM

Thanks for the helpful information Mike. I believe a cord and receptacle is on the way from Questar with instructions on how to make the upgrade. I'm hoping the instructions will tell how to identify which wire goes to which prong.

I'll post the results once I've finished the install.

Thanks and best wishes, Tim

#12 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:17 AM

You can rely on Questar for your scope needs.

Clear skies.

#13 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

You can rely on Questar for your scope needs.

Clear skies.

+1 :waytogo:

#14 Orion68

Orion68

Lift Off

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:01 PM

Thanks to all on this forum for the good advice.

What I have found out is that there are tow options. You can get old power cords on eBay that will work with Questars that have the un-polarized plug. They are $12 and you will have to cut off one end and install a common lamp cord plug. Total cost about $15.

The other option is get a replacement cord setup from Questar for about $16 plus shipping. This includes a polarized cord and a replacement plug assembly that needs to be installed in the base of the Q in place of the non-polarized plug assembly. Based on the picture that was shown in this forum thread, it should be very simple to replace the plug in the base of the Q.

The second option is probably the best from a safety point of view, but either approach will work.

Thanks again to all who answered my initial question, clear skies!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics