TAAA 60th Anniversary Celebrated

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

It was 60 years ago that Tucson Astronomy and Astronautical Association formed. (Now, officially called Tucson Amateur Astronomy Association.) And, last night, we celebrated the occasion at the Michael J. Drake Building near downtown Tucson and the campus of the University of Arizona.

Liz and John Kalas are commended for organizing a wonderful program. The club was treated to a superb venue that houses one of the finest private collections of meteorites in the world, as well as Lunar and Planetary Lab offices, and headquarters for OSIRIS-REx Mission to Asteroid Bennu. Blue House Catering put together a delightful buffet for the attendees.

Dr Tim Hunter was one of the MCs who kicked off the night with a presentation of the club's history. Then, Dr David Levy shared an inspiring poem with a time-lapse comet video running on the 2 screens. Next, Dolores Hill, ambassador for OSIRIS-REx, described the first US mission designed to capture and bring back 60 grams of material from carbonaceous asteroid Bennu. The night culminated with a wonderful history of The Steward Observatory by Dr Thomas Fleming, from its beginning with A. Ellicott Douglass's efforts (when Arizona was still a territory) to present day astronomy at the University of Arizona.

If you are a club member and were in Tucson, but didn't go, you really missed a beautiful event. But, I'm sure the club will soon be posting pictures and descriptions of the night on their web-site. Happy Birthday "T Triple A"!

Paul

#2 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:34 AM

Nice summary, Paul. I have to thank my wife who worked nightly for many months assembling the sixty years of photo submissions from members, reducing countless contributions into the 200 that were on the rolling Powerpoint display, hunting down names of members from long ago until the present to identify the individuals in the images.

It was a great way to relive the history of the club, and astronomy in Tucson.

#3 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

I was unfortunately unable to attend. This year is my tenth anniversary as a member - I joined just after the TAAA 50th birthday bash.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics