G2 nodeling question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kbastro

kbastro

Viking 1

• Loc: Running from Clouds

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

do you need to do modeling? the old G1 unit I just slewed to 3 objects on one side of the meridian and did the usual align and the then last two additional alignment,,
If you have to do modeling on the G2 I don't understand why?? I almost never flip the scope from one side of the meridian to the next,,
I don't see an additional alignment command,, just alignment and synchronize...
any thoughts?
kb

#2 gdd

gdd

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA (N/O Seattle)

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

There is just an alignment command, do it as many times as you wish for additional alignments. That builds and refines the model. With G2 you build separate models for east and west. Not sure what that means when a star crosses the meridian.

Gale

#3 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

there is a setting in the driver called "sync sends additional align" or something similar. this means when a program talking to the driver does a sync, this causes the driver to translate it to an align command, which refines the model.

that basically lets you build a model using software that does not know anything about the special "align" command.

you don't need to do modeling; i never do. i just use astrotortilla to solve and sync, iteratively, until the target is close enough to the center.

G2 has separate models for east and west of the meridian. i'm not sure if the modeling affects tracking but if it does then i suppose it switches between the east model and the west model while pointing at a position that crosses the meridian.

rob

#4 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:58 PM

Itterative plate solve and sync triggers some bugs including corrupt models. These are some of the few remaining bugs.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics