iOptron CEM60 unboxing & initial setup.

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

I received my CEM60 on Monday and quickly shoved my wife and kids out of the door to have a quiet hour to shoot an unboxing video.

Initial impressions?
Looks amazing! Lots of good stuff packed into this little mount.

Light weight! A lot lighter than I actually considered. I honestly expected it to weigh 10 pounds more. Seems so small for its weight capacity.

Seems very stable! I will have no qualms about installing my 11" EdgeHD on this! Max capacity of 60 pounds? Seems like that would be insane but heck, I'll try anything twice. Stay tuned!

AS requested I have taken the time to shoot the unboxing and setup video. I spent about an hour, took a few breaks along the way to deal with the dog and people knocking on the door but I've managed to cut out most of that.

Here is the footage broken up into three parts.

Enjoy!

Part 1: Click here to view Part 1 of 3

Part 2: Click here to view Part 2 of 3

Part 3: Click here to view part 3 of 3

#2 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:59 PM

Dealing with people, dogs knocking on the door, have they no respect for mount greatness!!!

Cool stuff! Can't wait to see how it works under the stars. Congrats!

Paul

#3 sewhite

sewhite

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:55 PM

Micheal

Thanks for the videos. Good luck with the testing and clear skies.

Stan

#4 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

Thanks very much for the videos!

If it is like the iEQ45, there will be an extra menu selection of "Park Scope to Zero Position" just after the "Park Scope" position, which will place the scope back in the position of pointing North. The "Park Scope" seems to be a relic of the Alt-Az mounts, and is a real hazard for those of us with long OTAs.

Nice to see that they have a decent saddle with this - it should not be necessary to get an ADM after-market. Also, the CW shaft looks decently long - an extension should not be needed with my 30 lb. , 48" long Newt.

#5 John Miele

John Miele

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

Michael,

Two things...

1. Make sure your saddle will not allow the scope dovetail to accidentally seat in a canted position. Paul discussed this in the Zeq25 thread.

2. It sounds like they actually forgot to put springs under your tension knobs. There are supposed to be springs there on the Zeq25 mount and I bet they should be there on this mount as well. I would call ioptron about that...

The mount looks like a beauty overall! Good luck!...John

#6 germana1

germana1

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

Thanks also I see what you mean with the vibration with the knobs! really like the way my IEQ 45 spins when balancing makes it a lot easier .
Again thanks nice vids.
Pete

#7 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

Michael,

Two things...

1. Make sure your saddle will not allow the scope dovetail to accidentally seat in a canted position. Paul discussed this in the Zeq25 thread.

2. It sounds like they actually forgot to put springs under your tension knobs. There are supposed to be springs there on the Zeq25 mount and I bet they should be there on this mount as well. I would call ioptron about that...

The mount looks like a beauty overall! Good luck!...John

Yah I was wondering about springs or some type of bushings. I am waiting to hear back on what they have in mind.

#8 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

Fantastic!

What happened to the Pacman sound?

#9 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: USA

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:52 PM

Congrats Michael!

#10 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:12 PM

I trained my pet fish to never knock on the door when I open a new mount.

Congrats on new gear

#11 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:18 PM

Fantastic!

What happened to the Pacman sound?

I want to know the same thing! I just re-watched the video that Paul posted a while back in the "not a rumor anymore" thread and noticed that 1) that mount was quieter as it didn't have the rattle sound when it starts and stops and 2) mine doesn't have the pac-man r2d2 whatever sound. I am kinda disappointed.

#12 cloudywest

cloudywest

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:16 AM

Thank you for putting the video up, fantastic!

The mount is very impressive and full of good features. If it performs as promised, it will be a killer.

I think you have found which way is north. :jump:

#13 PatHolland

PatHolland

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Clever, Missouri

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:21 AM

Thanks for recording your experience and sharing it. That mount looks like a winner. Keep us posted on the springs.

#14 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:32 AM

One thing I like about their mounts is that they provide a nice case to go with them. I don't know why other manufacturers can't do the same at least as an option. The only other manufacturer I know who does this is 10u

#15 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:40 AM

Regarding the springs. iOptron says this design doesn't have or require them. They are going to update their quick start guide to recommend less than 1/4 turn out. I can't wait to get under stars and do some imaging!

#16 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:46 AM

The springs are present on the ZEQ25 as they are what actually press on the worm block to mesh it with the wheel.

If my memory is not faulty, and it could be, the CEM60 does not use springs that physically press on the mount, but rather uses magnets. Given that it is no surprise the CEM60 lacked springs on the lock screws (though the rattle is something I hope they are able to change).

#17 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:51 AM

Exactly right. The CEM60 doesn't use springs as the worm block is held against the main gear via magnets. Really slick btw. The worm then rides smoothly along. I feel there is room to improve the way the knob rests when engaged and I excited to see how things go. iOptron has been very responsive to my feedback so far. :)

Hopefully the clouds will clear, my 11" EdgeHD will arrive this week and I can start doing some actual testing.

#18 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:52 AM

I'm glad there is no PacMan sound, and my neighbours will also be pleased.

It is not what they want in the middle of the night, and if was ever cute, it would get old real fast.

#19 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:53 AM

I wonder how that impacts the little compass used to find north. Kind of like a dog chasing its tail with the magnets pulling the compass and constantly telling you to turn the mount left till eventually your head explodes from stress. I'm telling you, it's a conspiracy

#20 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:54 AM

Pac-Man needs to be something you can turn on and off in the hand controller. I mentioned that. From what I heard they worked really really hard to kill pac-man before they shipped these. lol

#21 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: USA

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:04 AM

So Michael, the noise you heard during slewing was just the bolt rattling, not the gears, correct?

#22 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:50 AM

So Michael, the noise you heard during slewing was just the bolt rattling, not the gears, correct?

That sounded ugly.

#23 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:49 AM

In your experimentation with the mount, can you see if you can find a way to check how secure that CW shaft mounting mechanism is? I am interested in the mount once it is past beta, but I am uncomfortable with the adjustable counterweight shaft, looks to me like a source of flexure.

#24 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:40 AM

I remember some of the atlas mounts sounding like that?

#25 tjugo

tjugo

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

Exactly right. The CEM60 doesn't use springs as the worm block is held against the main gear via magnets. Really slick btw. The worm then rides smoothly along. I feel there is room to improve the way the knob rests when engaged and I excited to see how things go. iOptron has been very responsive to my feedback so far. :)

Hopefully the clouds will clear, my 11" EdgeHD will arrive this week and I can start doing some actual testing.

Thanks for the review, the mount looks nice.

The clutchless design is nice but you need to be very careful when disengage the worm wheel because it is very easy to damage the worms. I had a ZEQ25 and I didn't like the idea of disengaging the worm wheels just for balancing the mount.

Another issue with this design is that every time you engage/disengage the periodic error profile is modified. I have no clue how the CEM60 is affected by this cause it uses magnets to keep the right tension of the worm.

Cheers,

Jose

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics