Celestron AVX mount and AC adapter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shaunavon

Shaunavon

Explorer 1

• Loc: Wauwatosa, WI, USA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

I have a Celestron Advanced VX mount and it comes with a Celestron 12V DC Car battery adapter which I use with a Power tank.
I did purchase the Celestron AC adapter (2.5 amp) but it doesn't fit tightly on the mount. I like the fact that on the 12V DC car adapter there is a threaded barrel which allows the adapter to fit tightly on the mount power head but this is not on the 2.5 amp AC adapter.
I recently came across the Celestron AC Adapter for the CGE Pro and CGEM mounts which is a 5 amp AC adapter and it
has the threaded barrel on the adapter. Now according to Celestron the AVX mount is very sensitive to more or less amperage going to the mount and I don't want to risk damaging my mount, but is there any one who has tried this 5amp AC Adapter on his/her Celestron AVX mount and it works properly?

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

The 5 amp supply works fine and is sold for use with the mount by Celestron. You can't hurt a piece of equipment by "too much" current capacity in the power supply. The device will _only_ use what it needs. Too little current, however, can make goto mounts at positively squirrelly. ;_

#3 Shaunavon

Shaunavon

Explorer 1

• Loc: Wauwatosa, WI, USA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

In that case, I will head on over and make that purchase now. Thanks.

#4 headlight_fluid

headlight_fluid

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: North GA, US

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

I've been using a 12V power supply instead of buying the Celestron power cable:

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0012BL8LG

It costs less and you can use it for other stuff.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics