Photo

Spectroscopy / Photometry / Radio Astronomy Forum?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 old_frankland

old_frankland

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

Admittedly the posts containing spectroscopy, photometry and radio astronomy are not that numerous, but there has been a bit of an uptick in interest in spectroscopy. It would be nice to have all of the spectroscopy related posts, be it solar, lunar, planetary, stellar or deep sky, posted in one place. Perhaps it is time to look at a forum separate from the predominantly visual variable star observing.

My 2 cents....

#2 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:01 AM

Jim - for most amateurs spectroscopy is a forbidding 'black-hole' so uptake will always be small. It's a shame as spectro gives a great insight into filters and camera spectral response etc.

As for another forum - isn't CN trying to rationalise these currently:-)

#3 btieman

btieman

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

My thoughts have always been more along the line of renaming this forum to be more inclusive of all science techniques.

For a while photometry for measuring exoplanet transits was a hot topic here. Now spectroscopy seams to be a hot topic. Often spectroscopy and photometry go hand in hand as with super novas. Photometry is also useful for determining asteroid periods. And there's a lot that can be done with radio astronomy and meteors as well.

If you break all these out into separate forums you're talking a lot of forums. Given how many of the skills and techniques overlap seems we'd be better served with a Scientific Astronomy forum encompassing all.

#4 old_frankland

old_frankland

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

I'd like to see it where we can post a spectra of sun, moon, planets, stars and nebulae without the moderator sending off the spectra to what she/he thinks is the more appropriate respective observing group. It would make more sense to me to keep spectroscopy related posts all in the same forum.

And I am only suggesting a single group for spectroscopy/photometry/radio astronomy. As 'biteman' points out, spectroscopy and photometry quite often go hand in hand.
  • sound chaser likes this

#5 old_frankland

old_frankland

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

Jim - for most amateurs spectroscopy is a forbidding 'black-hole' so uptake will always be small. It's a shame as spectro gives a great insight into filters and camera spectral response etc.

As for another forum - isn't CN trying to rationalise these currently:-)

Indeed, you're right, its still a pretty small group pursuing spectroscopy. Certainly there are more doing photometry, but still a relatively small number. I've not seen much activity in amateur radio astronomy....but I don't get out that much.

Still, the Star Analyzer SA100 and RSpec software are intersting folks that never would have considered spectroscopy a few years ago. I'm a good example of that.....

#6 Terry Bohlsen

Terry Bohlsen

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:21 AM

Hi All
I would also like there to be a spectroscopy forum. As stated it could easily be this one with spectroscopy added to the name. There is an increasing number of amateurs taking spectra. I have lots of spectra of V1369 Cen etc and could contribute on this forum as well as the other forums dedicated to spectroscopy.
Cheers
Terry
Australia

#7 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

I like the idea of an "all science" forum. Photometry (variable stars, minor planet light curves, etc.), spectrometry, astrometry (minor planets, doubles, etc.). But, there are specialized forums dedicated to these needs: AAVSO, CALL, ARAS, to name a few. Would such a forum have enough posts to be worth the effort? Perhaps just renaming this forum something like "Amateur Research" might create enough traffic to do the trick.
Ed
  • HKDA and sound chaser like this

#8 mostlyemptyspace

mostlyemptyspace

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:33 PM

Still, the Star Analyzer SA100 and RSpec software are intersting folks that never would have considered spectroscopy a few years ago. I'm a good example of that.....

Hi Jim. I watched a recent episode of Cosmos and NDGT talked about spectroscopy. That got me going down the rabbit hole and I stumbled upon the SA100.

What do you think of it? Is it fun? Have you come up with good results?

I have a Celestron Nexstar 8SE, and I'm planning to either get a Celestron Neximage 5 or a ZWO ASI120MC. Once I get the cam, I plan to get the SA100 and RSpec. It seems like a lot of fun to be able to see what different stars are made of, especially because typical stars are boring to look at otherwise.

I'd love to hear your experience so far.

#9 drollere

drollere

Surveyor 1

• Loc: sebastopol, california

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:15 PM

i think the CN 3.0 is supposed to have a better search functionality (at least, lousy search performance was one of the reasons cited for making the upgrade). if it materializes then that would make all spectroscopy posts visible regardless of their location in the various threads.

#10 Peter Z

Peter Z

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

Jim, I'm in absolute agreement with you!

Luckily the folks at SolarChat have "seen the light" and dedicate a forum to (mostly) solar spectroscopy (albeit including magnetometry and other techniques as well).

I would love to see a stellar spectroscopy equivalent (which encompasses solar, etc..).

Cheers.

Peter.

Edited by Peter Z, 25 August 2014 - 10:33 AM.

#11 astroMakemake42

astroMakemake42

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:40 PM

I agree, with all the posts on exoplanet photometry and spectroscopy   a spectroscopy/photometry/radio astronomy forum makes perfect sense to me.

#12 HKDA

HKDA

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Valley Center, CA

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:34 PM

I like the idea of an "all science" forum. Photometry (variable stars, minor planet light curves, etc.), spectrometry, astrometry (minor planets, doubles, etc.). But, there are specialized forums dedicated to these needs: AAVSO, CALL, ARAS, to name a few. Would such a forum have enough posts to be worth the effort? Perhaps just renaming this forum something like "Amateur Research" might create enough traffic to do the trick.
Ed

Ed, I agree with the " Amateur Research" name or something like that.   After the SAS conference in June I started a SAS group on yahoo just for that purpose.  Cross-posting with the other groups, sharing our results, and helping each other with issues will allow us to each more people.  Sadly with spectroscopy we are not as large in numbers in the U.S. as elsewhere in the world. I'm hoping we can change that.  Putting all the areas of amatuer science into one topic area here might increase the activity and draw in more viewers and posts.

Kevin

#13 btieman

btieman

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:23 PM

Ed

Ed, I agree with the " Amateur Research" name or something like that.   After the SAS conference in June I started a SAS group on yahoo just for that purpose.  Cross-posting with the other groups, sharing our results, and helping each other with issues will allow us to each more people.  Sadly with spectroscopy we are not as large in numbers in the U.S. as elsewhere in the world. I'm hoping we can change that.  Putting all the areas of amatuer science into one topic area here might increase the activity and draw in more viewers and posts.

Kevin

What do we need to do to change the forum name to "Amateur Research"?

There are, indeed, specialized forums such as AAVSO, CALL, ARAS, etc...but this is where I find contradictions within the "hobby".  Partly because those forums attempt to raise the activity of backyard astronomy to something other than a hobby.  That's not a knock on those outlets, but the contradiction I see is that most local clubs have realized the best way to generate interest is to go out to where the people are--and so do outreach in local parks or on the streets.  The science side of the hobby still seems to expect people to come to them.

Some will...I have...but others don't know what they don't know.  There's a current thread[1] in Solar System Observing that's a case in point.  Many of the initial responses are quite niave...and why wouldn't they be?

Having a forum dedicated to amateur research of all forms here on CN would be going to where the people are.  Those in the broader community with the itch for something scientific would have a first place to go to learn and collaborate and be directed to the more specialized forums that they might not normally come across.

Now that we seem to be safely on CN 3.0, what is the process to petition for something like this to happen?

[1] http://www.cloudynig...-a-nexstar-8se/

#14 gavinm

gavinm

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland New Zealand

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

Ed

Kevin

What do we need to do to change the forum name to "Amateur Research"?

There are, indeed, specialized forums such as AAVSO, CALL, ARAS, etc...but this is where I find contradictions within the "hobby".  Partly because those forums attempt to raise the activity of backyard astronomy to something other than a hobby.  That's not a knock on those outlets, but the contradiction I see is that most local clubs have realized the best way to generate interest is to go out to where the people are--and so do outreach in local parks or on the streets.  The science side of the hobby still seems to expect people to come to them.

Some will...I have...but others don't know what they don't know.  There's a current thread[1] in Solar System Observing that's a case in point.  Many of the initial responses are quite niave...and why wouldn't they be?

Having a forum dedicated to amateur research of all forms here on CN would be going to where the people are.  Those in the broader community with the itch for something scientific would have a first place to go to learn and collaborate and be directed to the more specialized forums that they might not normally come across.

Now that we seem to be safely on CN 3.0, what is the process to petition for something like this to happen?

[1] http://www.cloudynig...-a-nexstar-8se/

+1

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics