CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wireless Control of Telescope Mounts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:50 AM

Wireless Control of Telescope Mounts

By Michael Wheeler
  • S Gazer likes this

#2 herrointment

herrointment

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NNW of New Auburn

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:42 AM

While I admire the author's tech savvy and would really enjoy cutting the cord there is more here than I would personally care to deal with.

I found the piece fairly easy to follow.....an accomplishment in my book!

#3 KevinS

KevinS

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:09 AM

Thanks Michael.

I have had good luck with "Wifi Scope". It is donationware from Main Sequence
http://www.mainseque...ducts/WiFiScope

It will translate ascom mount driver data to a UDP address that can be accessed over wifi or ethernet. I just use an old notebook PC in ad hoc mode and can drive the mount from Stellarium AND Sky Safari on my iPhone AND PHD dithering server simulanteously. No special hardware needed but a Windows PC with wifi. I made a battery/laptop power connector and can go 6+ hours in the field.
  • Kyron likes this

#4 Markovich

Markovich

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Ohio

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:00 AM

http://astrodevices....exus/Nexus.html

#5 TennDon

TennDon

Sputnik

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

You gotta be aware that most major star parties, e.g., Texas Star Party & Okie-Tex Star Party (and probably others), have almost banned wifi-controllers. They say they interfere with the on-field wifi and they are probably right. So if the venue wifi won't allow you to connect or you can't configure your set-up to connect to your telescope through the venue's existing wifi network you may just be out of luck. :tonofbricks:
Look up the scoop on TSP's web site and you'll get the gist.

#6 herrointment

herrointment

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NNW of New Auburn

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

Very interesting reading about bluetooth etc interference on the TSP website.

The website itself is something else...I'd never heard of too many people at a star party prior to reading their registration rules..

#7 Kyron

Kyron

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:31 PM

Thanks Michael.

I have had good luck with "Wifi Scope". It is donationware from Main Sequence
http://www.mainseque...ducts/WiFiScope

It will translate ascom mount driver data to a UDP address that can be accessed over wifi or ethernet. I just use an old notebook PC in ad hoc mode and can drive the mount from Stellarium AND Sky Safari on my iPhone AND PHD dithering server simulanteously. No special hardware needed but a Windows PC with wifi. I made a battery/laptop power connector and can go 6+ hours in the field.

Not unlike KevinS, I set myself up with a Serial2TCP repeater using a very compact (and cheap) setup (whilst retaining all flexibility a full fledged OS can bring...especially W.R.T. "banned WiFi").

<The following was (partially) posted on another forum but I think it is _very_ pertinent to this thread. Someone posted how to set up a TCP2Serial daemon using a Raspberry PI>:

It inspired me into documenting my first 'SkyPi' setup (here:  http://wiki.neuralbs...index.php/SkyPi) and it seems to work quite fine with SkySafari Pro 4 (I have a youtube video demonstrating it working but I won't post it publicly unless requested ...forcing me to actually remove audio and my stupid comments + add annotations).

So, now that I have :
[SkySafari]:iPad -> (AP mode WiFi) -> RPI -> USB2Serial -> SynScan -> EQ6
I would love to see if it would be possible to do this:
[SkySafari]:iPad -> (AP mode WiFi) -> RPI -> [indilib in some sort of mode] -> USB2Serial -> MAX323 -> EQ6
OR (even better?)
[SkySafari]:iPad -> (AP mode WiFi) -> RPI -> [indilib in some sort of mode] -> [Direct TTL control from RPI's I/O ports] -> EQ6

And, from what I see above, the following might be one step closer to this goal:
[SkySafari]:iPad -> (AP mode WiFi) -> RPI -> [A linux equivalent to WiFiScope]+[indilib in ASCOM(ish) mode] -> USB2Serial -> MAX323 -> EQ6

Although, for the above, I would definitely prefer to forego the USB2serial and have it direct-TTL controlled ;)

I am quite sure I am not the only trying to dream up this setup (while keeping SkySafari in the loop).
The next setup I might try is kStars running up directly from an RPI2 + remote desktop on an iPad (since I doubt there will be a decent Xserver that runs off an iPad).

The end goal is quite 'simple':
- have an iPad app to control the scope (important for buy-in of kids and GF)
- have less wires (moahr simpler)
- do cool techno stuff :D
- reduce scope setup time
- reduce equipment kludge

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics