Meade LX850

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:43 PM

I wonder if it is possible for STX to respond to any post in less than 500 characters. :)

No way, that is why I can't even use Twitter!

:roflmao:

#27 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:52 AM

I don't care about manufacturer guarantees. Real users have stated that the Mach 1 can handle well over it's stated weight limits. That's more than enough reality for me. I've also seen this mount in person being used by several different people and it's a literal work of art. I'll take that over any Chinese mount any day.

#28 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:10 AM

Many thank for your replies. My budget is $7000 for the mount only. Which other mount would you consider. I have got nothing against Chinese made mount but I am concerned about their quality issues.
Vince

Vince, I would look at iOptron's CEM-60, coming out soon, and possibly, if you increased your budget, GM1000HPS from 10Micron. Both are encoded. More on encoder discussion here...; my suggestion, don't buy anything until you have understood encoders at somewhat technical level; after that you can buy anything, encoded or not. Unguided imaging up to 10min are becoming a reality with encoded mounts. Regards

#29 hungerford

hungerford

Messenger

• -----

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:45 AM

Many thanks for your excellent feedback. The LX 850 is top of my list.
Vince

#30 gary-sue69

gary-sue69

Messenger

• Loc: Maybee MI.

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:29 AM

Many thanks for your excellent feedback. The LX 850 is top of my list.
Vince

You will love it Vince, :bow: :cool:

#31 alrosm

alrosm

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:28 PM

How old is this mount, early 2013 ?

Perhaps a little bit too early to judge but why not.

#32 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

That time frame is about right, early 2013.

Quite a few of the 14" models have been sold, however that is a number up for debate. The Meade haters put the number very low; others have a high number. We will never know, since Meade is not a public company. I do know talking with Woodland Hills they have sold quite a few LX850s. And there are more dealers than Woodlands Hills out there.

Very few complaints out there for the LX850. We did discuss on CN Meade4M community issues, but virtually all issues were caused by the users. Some concerns about ASCOM, but to be honest I think there are many issues with ASCOM (for me - "Just say no!" to ASCOM). When the dust settles in the next couple of weeks I will be starting the chatter in the community working on something better than ASCOM. I haven't seen any complaints about the LX850 on CN.

My one year anniversary on the LX850 comes up in early May. So far mine has worked perfectly. I think I have had 50 nights of use with my LX850 and it works wonderfully. Like I said, I am very pleased it is holding up very well outdoors when used in combination with the Telegizmos 365 cover. When I am set up for a multi-day observing run (let's say 10 days) all I need to do is take off the cover, remove the lens covers, turn on the LX850, do the ARC function, and I am good for the night. The only pains for me - the weather (though not as bad as for some of you folks) and the bright Moon.

#33 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:54 PM

That time frame is about right, early 2013.

Agreed. Mine arrived, I believe, in March. I know it was here before NEAF in April because I spoke to the Meade guys there about having one.

I haven't managed anywhere near 50 sessions with this one but it hasn't broken yet. ;)

#34 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:00 PM

Agreed. Mine arrived, I believe, in March. I know it was here before NEAF in April because I spoke to the Meade guys there about having one.

I haven't managed anywhere near 50 sessions with this one but it hasn't broken yet. ;)

Yeah, for all my griping about the weather and Moon in New Mexico (plus travel), I have been lucky. If I was using the LX850 in Michigan I think I would have gotten maybe 3 days in?

IF the weather cooperates in New Mexico in March I should be able to get 12 more days in.

You need to take a tour down in New Mexico (or Arizona) John!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics