• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 ManicSponge

ManicSponge

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Wenatchee, Wa.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

I spent some time googling around, trying to find decent reviews of the Pro AZ/EQG mount, and came up short.
I currently have a Atlas EQ-G mount, that was damaged in shipping. While waiting for the backordered replacement, I notied the Pro AZ/EQG mount, though a couple hundred dollars out of my comfort zone, would allow better visual use of the 8" F3.9 newt I plan to use on the EQ-G.
I plan to use the mount primarily for AP, but it would be really nice to be able to have the family look through the scope, without doing headstands.
$500 extra is a bitter pill, but I would not need another mount, for a very long time.
Just looking for some feedback. I am brand new to AP, so there will be a monumental learning curve as it is. I just saw the ability to use it as an Alt/Az, and wondered if this might be the perfect "Do it all" mount for my needs.
Any input appreciated.
Thanks, Kyle

#2 T1R2

T1R2

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

I think it would be a good choice to get the AZ/EQ, for visual use with the family, the OTA can be adjusted to give more comfortable views with the ep turn to the side, and not having to bend over and twist like on EQ mode, plus it still tracks and goto's,

#3 epdreher

epdreher

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Republic of Texas

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

Pull the trigger. It's a great mount, with most reviewed samples having lower PE than the older Atlas. Mine hits just under 15 arc/sec P-P. TimC on this forum has similar results.

You can Google the Skywatcher AZ/EQ6-GT. It's the same mount but has been out longer in Europe than Orion's version here. I haven't found a bad review yet.

Here's part one of three:

http://www.firstligh...iew-part-1.html

#4 ManicSponge

ManicSponge

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

T1R2, Eric, thanks for the input. Right after I made this thread, I started reading about the Skywatcher mount, and it really does look appealing.
There are so few "Do it all, AND do it well" products in this hobby, I am hoping to make the most expensive part of my setup do dual-duty. I realize the 8" astrograph won't be a perfect visual scope, but it sounds like it does a very good job, from some of the other members I have asked about it. When not using it for imaging, being able to mount my 120 refractor next to the newt, would be a lot of fun. My Father in law loves looking through our telescopes, but he is disabled enough that any acrobatics are out of the question. I have two teenagers, that are a foot different in height, which can also be challenging.
For a "Few dollars more" it does sound like the best of both worlds.
Really, my biggest hesitation comes from my own ignorance. I enjoy the feedback I get from these forums. I have yet to get truly bad advice, and a ton of stuff that has helped not only my learning curve, but helped preserve my wallet, at times!
Regards, Kyle

#5 CA Stargazer

CA Stargazer

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Milpitas, California

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

If you can afford the price difference, it is a great choice with some welcome upgrades over the original.
* AZ mode for visual EQ, for Astrophotography.
* Encoders on both axis, should your clutches slip after alignment.
* Upgraded counterweight bar.
* Belt driven gears.
* Additional saddle for dual scope operation in AZ mode.

I love mine, but there are a couple things that still bug me.
* No polar scope cover.
* The jack screw and clutch handle will sometimes snag on my USB cords if I don't tie my cables carefully.

Good Luck!

#6 Mike X.

Mike X.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

I agree with the friends, if you can go for the AZEQ6/Atlas Pro, i got it about a year ago and i'm more than happy with it.

#7 ManicSponge

ManicSponge

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:06 AM

Thanks, Mike. I placed an order with Orion tonight. It's a little more than I wanted to spend, but about 6 hours worth of reading convinced me it's the right choice. The ability to use it dual mode, combined with the more sophisticated electronics that allow the mount to be moved manually, without losing reference, was a winning combo.
I'd rather regret the extra $500, than regret NOT spending it later.
I'll update when I have more info to share. Right now, it's just an order confirmation!
Thanks again, to all.
Regards, Kyle

#8 MarkCPC11

MarkCPC11

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:00 AM

Kyle, congrats on the Pro choice, I also ordered the pro some time ago and eagerly awaiting shipping, seems they delayed the shipping dates 2 times, but the current ship date seems to be unchanged now for a week. I plan on taking pictures of the mount from box to setup. If you find any good Ideas on transporting the mount let me know, I can't seem to find a case specifically made for it... Good luck!!

#9 MarkCPC11

MarkCPC11

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

Hope you not planing on getting your mount anytime soon, Orion has changed the ship date to June 2014? Something tells me they don't want to sell these anymore?? The worse thing is they wait till the ship date is 2 days away to change it. I'm looking for alternatives.. Hell with Orion..

#10 ManicSponge

ManicSponge

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:06 PM

Hmmm...I just got off the phone with Orion. The lady I spoke with told me the June ship date was inaccurate, for orders already placed. She assured me mine would be on it's way, as of the 27 of Feb.
My first Atlas EQ-G mount was damaged in shipping, and the replacement was a day away, in transit, when I decided to upgrade to the Pro model.
Now the replacement Atlas is back with them, and the shipping date is changed for the Pro model.
I am sweating bullets here, hoping they are on the ball, and I just got one of the last orders in for the Pro.
This is the absolute worst experience I have had, in the last few months, dealing with damage, and the never-ending "Do you have the (Deity constructing a barrier to retain a body of water) thing to ship to me, or not??" question.
Getting really old, I'll tell you that.
I will certainly update this as it progresses. Good luck to you!
Regards, Kyle

#11 T1R2

T1R2

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

bad experience? when I got my CGE1100 I had everything but the OTA after checking the boxes, it was missing and it was a couple of days before I got it, I found out they had shipped it to Arizona instead of Arkansas.

#12 ManicSponge

ManicSponge

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

Yeah, that would be a stressful experience, to say the least!
One shipping problem, once in awhile, is to be expected, but sweating the whereabouts of that OTA must have kept you awake.
This is damaged unit number four, out of four attempts at having telescopes/ and or mounts shipped, in the last 3 months.
I'm just hoping the Orion Pro arrives in one piece, as there won't be any more until June...
Really looking forward to getting this, and learning how to use it!
Regards, Kyle

#13 MarkCPC11

MarkCPC11

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

I ordered mine more than a month ago, I will try giving them a call tomorrow.

#14 MarkCPC11

MarkCPC11

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

Just had a chat with them, you are correct. Past orders have been processed. :)))) Now I hope it comes in the correct number of pieces.

#15 ManicSponge

ManicSponge

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

I agree, MarkCPC. Two cardboard boxes, no dings, dents, holes, or gnawing teeth marks, please. I had the same conversation with them just an hour or so ago. Same answer. The current batch is sold out, but I made the cut by 2 days.
Maybe my luck is changing, it will be severely cloudy and snowy here for awhile. That should guarantee a perfect mount, right?
I'll take it, if that's the case.
Regards, Kyle

#16 epdreher

epdreher

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:01 PM

Post deleted by epdreher

#17 TMSP

TMSP

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:08 PM

Wow, disaster narrowly averted (we hope). Might be a bit early, but congratulations. Look forward to hearing about it.

I have been eyeing this girl up for a while and was hoping for another price decrease, but it sounds like they are starting to move some numbers. This also suggests they may be into a later production run so any issue may be more worked out. Maybe I need to pull the trigger! I have been keeping an eye on reviews and they sound uniformly good with only some small glitches that may be operator error. Clear Skies!

#18 ManicSponge

ManicSponge

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:33 PM

Thanks for the well wishes. I will certainly post the results after it arrives. I regret it wont be one of the deep technical reviews, as I am not at that knowledge level, yet. That said, I'll take some good pictures, and relate what I learn, as I go.
All my hopes are pinned on boxes that aren't smashed, and an average, or above example off the production line!
Regards, Kyle

#19 MarkCPC11

MarkCPC11

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

So I check my Orion order today for the pro and found it still in the backorder stage. I started a chat with customer service and they told me all shipments for this mount are delayed until 5/11/14. Not believing my ears I asked to have the manager call me directly. While speaking with the manager and explaining my problem he seemed to push a view keys and my problem was solved? So anyone who is waiting for this mount you better call again and make sure you're still on the list even though you were already told you were, do it again, there seems to be some confusion over there.

#20 ManicSponge

ManicSponge

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:48 PM

MarkCPC,
It seems to depend on who you talk to. I get the feeling that the first line phone responders, (if you will), have basically the same info we get from the website. I spoke with Rich Rothhouse, and he handled my situation very well, I felt. I believe the website is updated to reflect shipping dates at the exact time you visit it.
Looks like both of our mounts are on the way. I just got tracking confirmation. If the UPS primates do their job, this could be a good week, after all.
Best wishes on your shipment too. Trust me, I feel the pain!
Regards, Kyle

#21 MarkCPC11

MarkCPC11

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

lol, your in WA state, I'm all the way in NJ and it appears to be shipping out of CA, and its free ground shipping.. So I'm biting my nails at every transfer hub.

#22 epdreher

epdreher

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:52 PM

You'll be fine. I'm in a state of limbo right now, in the process of moving to another state. It'll be a few months before I can unpack my gear, so I'm looking forward to your first impressions and images. :)

#23 ManicSponge

ManicSponge

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

MarkCPC, tracking says tomorrow morning is Christmas in Wenatchee. I will be driving down to the UPS hub, to grab my boxes at 9am. Win/lose, I'll let you know what happens.
What an odd thing to get so stressed over, if I step back and third-person it for a second. Talk about the last thing I actually NEED, in my life, and yet I stress more over astro stuff arriving, than say, a new water heater.
Zero logic, pure emotion, is all I can figure.
Epdreher, good luck on the move. We are moving out of this armpit in two years, for sunnier, warmer climates. I am excited to get there, but not looking forward to the logistics of a long distance relocation. Hope you get your stuff unpacked sooner than you think!
Regards, Kyle

#24 epdreher

epdreher

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

Off-topic: Kyle, when your time comes, give U-Haul a call. They'll deliver U-Boxes to your house. Pack them and they'll pick them up and deliver to your new home. If you don't have one lined-up, they'll also store them in a warehouse until you're ready. Our total cost from So-Cal to Austin, TX is $2900 including the first month's storage.

#25 ManicSponge

ManicSponge

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:40 PM

Thank you, Eric. I haven't even started researching shipping our stuff, but I am sure I won't be doing the Bo and Luke routine with pickup trucks, like I did last time. I only moved 125 miles last time, but doing it one man style was not the ticket. I have good friends. Guys I have trusted my life to many times. That said, come moving time, there's a whole lot of "straight to voicemail", and dropped cell calls going on...
I don't blame them, I have spotty reception when they have to move too :)
Regards, Kyle

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics