• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 ManicSponge

ManicSponge

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Wenatchee, Wa.

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

Success! The Atlas Pro arrived undamaged. My SSAG also came in, which I wasn't sure would ship at the same time.
I'll throw up a couple of pics in a little while, my camera battery is on the charger at the moment. I must say this mount was packed much more securely than the Atlas EQ-G I received previously. Double boxed, and packed very tightly in foam. Not the breakable styrofoam, but whatever that other stuff is, that feels more like a camping sleeping pad. The foam is of such good quality, I plan to build a lightweight wooden crate for the mount, to transport it, and use the factory foam to line it with.
Now I have to do some serious reading, and up my grade level a bit, to figure out how all these new gizmos talk to each other.
There will be a whole lot of mock setups going on, in the comfort and light of my living room, before I venture out into the dark with this rig.
While I wait for the 8" astrograph to ship, I plan to try the setup out with my Omni 120XLT OTA. There are some nice images on Astrobin taken with that unit, so why not try it out?
I am definitely the limiting factor now. I can't blame anything on the equipment!
Pics soon.
Regards, Kyle

#27 MarkCPC11

MarkCPC11

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

Sounds optimistic Kyle, hope they packed them all that way, I have a March 6th delivery date. I was thinking about picking it up instead of UPS handling it again... I already picked up a mount extension and ordered the GPS only because I like wasting money as much as possible... O and don’t forget the pictures in the box before you remove the mount!!

#28 MarkCPC11

MarkCPC11

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

I ordered a Pelican 1600 Case for the Atlas Pro mount, I was able to fit the Atlas Pro with the pier extension attachment very nicely with room to spare for the hand controller, cables and counterweight extension. Fine case for the money and not to heavy.. :)

#29 epdreher

epdreher

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Republic of Texas

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the tip.

#30 LateViewer

LateViewer

Apollo

• Loc: Pelham NY

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

Pictures please!

#31 MarkCPC11

MarkCPC11

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

As you can see there is still room for some smaller parts, I'm going to spray it with 3m 77 , this will lock it in permanent. I winged it, if I had to design it again, I may have changed the position of the hand controller. I'm going to clean it up a bit, reattach some foam here and there before I spray..
:cool:

Attached Files

#32 Mike X.

Mike X.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

If it helps i used some of the foam that came with the mount boxing and made a wooden case for the mount.It's pretty easy to make and quite inexpensive and lihgt.Here are a couple of photos.(sorry about the mess in the garage)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#33 MarkCPC11

MarkCPC11

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

The Pelican 1600 case is waterproof and airtight and very strong hatches on four sides. It’s built like a tank using unbreakable composite. The handle is very strong and wide, this makes it very comfortable to carry. Yours look like a very nice DIY project...

#34 Mike X.

Mike X.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:55 AM

Thank you Mark,
Well the pelican is ideal for a mount case of course.I did mine for fun mostly.It serves it's purpose ;)

#35 ManicSponge

ManicSponge

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:36 PM

Both of those look very nice. I sold a lot of Pelican cases over the years, working in the gun business. Super quality.
I don't think I have one of those in the budget, so I think I am going to go the same route Mike did. That factory foam should last years, with reasonable care, and I might even have enough scrap and misc. parts laying around to build a case like that. Thanks for the pics guys!
Regards, Kyle

#36 MarkCPC11

MarkCPC11

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

Kyle, I tried that Dec fix you gave me, I was unable to get the entire slope out of the dec axis. Without the scope on the mount it’s very tight, but the AR152 is around 25lb loaded and around 42 inches long. The mount is rated for 44 lb. I'm uncomfortable messing with it too much; don't want to kill it before I use it... I may run it by Orion and get there input. :( :confused: :crazy:

#37 SkyHound

SkyHound

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies Il.

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

Mark,
been using mine in this configuration for a year now...Imaging is a breeze with out so much as a hickup in that time

Attached Files

#38 ManicSponge

ManicSponge

Messenger

• -----

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:05 AM

Mark, I am in the same boat, but it does not seem to be a problem, at this point. I have very little experience with telescope mounts, but a lot with machines in general. I suspect there may well be a "break in" period, just like an engine, before all the mechanical components settle down. I have a little slop in both DEC and RA, but I have been able to take 4 minute exposures, with no funky stars, so I am not going to worry about it for awhile. This was taken a couple nights ago. It's an unedited stack of M51, 4 minute exposures, guided with PHD, and using BYEOS.
It won't be gracing any magazine covers, but the point was to show that even with a little slop, and without PEC training (yet!), in the hands of a total caveman, these mounts do well!
Regards, Kyle

Attached Files

#39 MarkCPC11

MarkCPC11

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

That’s really nice!

I have spoken to Orion about the problem, they said some slope is normal, but it depends on the amount. You don't want the scope to bind by making it too tight. I have no RA slope at all. After following the procedure again, I have found a happy medium with no binding and smooth movement.

#40 ManicSponge

ManicSponge

Messenger

• -----

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:50 PM

Good deal, Mark. I plan to adjust mine when it starts to show in photos, and not sweat it so much. Sounds like you are set for some great nights ahead with the new mount. Have you had much of a chance to use it yet? I have had mine out 3 times, and spent hours gazing out the window at clouds, or hideous winds, since it arrived!
Regards, Kyle

#41 MarkCPC11

MarkCPC11

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:55 AM

No, I have not used it under the sky yet, rain/snow/clouds/cold here in NJ since I received it. Having a public sky-watch next week with the club, so I'm hoping I can get it out then. But I have been studying up on initial proper setup of an EQ mount; much more involved than I thought. There is a 5 part setup video on YouTube that's been helpful, I'll PM you the link. I think you may find it useful too.

#42 ManicSponge

ManicSponge

Messenger

• -----

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:24 AM

That would be great, Mark. I have yet to do the PEC routine in the hand controller. I also need to make myself an aircraft style checklist, to help me slowwww down, and get everything perfect.
My Goto accuracy isn't amazing, so far. I'm guessing it's me, and not the mount. The simplest thing can make a difference, like forgetting to finish centering stars for the alignment by using UP and RIGHT on the keypad.
It sure is fun to play with, though!
Regards, Kyle

#43 MarkCPC11

MarkCPC11

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:08 PM

PM sent..
Based on what I have read, if you do a 2 star alignment you must have very good polar alignment and you should have adjusted the ring mount to reduce cone error. The 3 star alignment will compensate for cone error. Also a Illuminated reticle eyepiece is a good Idea to get better goto accuracy. The link I sent you shows you how to adjust the mount for good home position and accurate polar alignment among other things.

#44 wpage66

wpage66

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: on the yellow brick road

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

Come on share the links for us all to see that are considering a Pro AZ/EQG

#45 MarkCPC11

MarkCPC11

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:10 PM