AmScope T490B

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 astronomylife

astronomylife

Viking 1

• Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, California, US

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

I just bought a AmScope T490B off ebay for a song ($65). How well does it perform? What should I expect to see through this? Here is a link to the listing. How does the scope check out? I see a little rust here and there. Here is the amazon link.

#2 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

• Loc: Bay Area, California

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:52 PM

It sounds like you hit the jackpot. I have a lower quality Amscope B100B, and am very impressed with the quality of my microscope. See my other thread in this forum for photos I've taken through my scope.

The only caveat I have with used Amscopes is they won't sell you the binocular or trinocular heads separately, so if you buy one with a damaged head, you're SOL.

#3 astronomylife

astronomylife

Viking 1

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:33 AM

The picture you took are amazing. How did you manage to get the pine needle? Is the view through the eyepiece the same as your pictures? Or does the DSLR manage to capture more detail/clarity?

#4 astronomylife

astronomylife

Viking 1

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:35 AM

BTW, where did you get that blue DSLR adapter?

#5 FAB

FAB

Stargeezer

• Loc: Blythe, CA USA

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

I have the Amscope T490A. Please see the photo area of my Facebook pages as I've posted hundreds of images there. It's under Floie Barrows. FAB

#6 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

The pine needle slide came in a commercially prepared box of 25 slides that came with my microscope when I bought it. The box is labeled Amscope, but various companies sell similar teaching sets.

The blue 2" camera adapter came in a box of adapters I bought when I got into astronomy a decade ago. It bears no identification or labeling other than a plastic label saying "2 RECEIVER." It's basically a 2" ID tube with 3 set screws on the top end to hold 2" telescope eyepieces. The bottom end has three long set screws that I clamp on the microscope's eyepiece holder. It works both on my Amscope compound scope and my Olympus stereo scope, even though the Amscope uses 22 mm eyepieces and the Olympus uses 30 mm eyepieces.

I use a regular commercial 2" telescope eyepiece T-mount adapter on my DSLR. I insert the telescope adapter into the blue 2" receiver, and use the microscope's eyepiece as a projection focuser. This method magnifies the microscope's image quite a bit. Photos taken with the compound scope @40X look more like the eyepiece views @100X.

#7 astronomylife

astronomylife

Viking 1

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

I might buy the box of slides from amazon. In your opinion, what is the best specimen provided in the box?

I probably need to get some blank slides and coverslips, but I'm unsure because I see two types of coverslips, plastic and glass. Is there any optical difference between the two?

For now I'll stick to visual, but later I might get into imaging.

Thanks for your help!

#8 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:09 AM

I like the honeybee mouthparts from the animal slides, and the pine needle x.s. from the plant slides. Your interests may differ. I took a lot of science classes in college, and all of these slide collections (12, 25,50, 100, 200 slides) all remind me of the slides I studied in college. If my slide collection had embryology, or sea urchin gastrula and blastula slides, those would probably be my favorites.

I don't have any experience or knowledge of plastic cover slips, but it should certainly be possible to make optically similar plastic cover slips without the hazard of broken glass fragments. Just be sure to buy 0.17 mm thick cover slips, assuming the last number on all your microscope objectives is 0.17.

I've gotten more satisfaction out of my home mounts of insects, spiders, and catchment water than I have from commercial slides, so I encourage you to buy those slides and cover slips.

#9 astronomylife

astronomylife

Viking 1

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:47 AM

I bought the 25piece amscope set and coverslips on amazon. They'll arrive before the microscope, so I'll have to wait a few days to post a report.

#10 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:21 AM

I'm anxious to hear how the new scope works out for you.

#11 astronomylife

astronomylife

Viking 1

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:52 PM

I got the microscope today. It was a little dirty, but after I cleaned it up, the views through it were absolutely stunning. Unfortunately, it seems that UPS dropped the box because there is a giant crack in the bases that wasn't there in the pictures of the posting. This crack doesn't affect the views at all, but I don't want it to expand (I highly doubt it will). I'll try to get the seller to file a claim against UPS.

#12 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

If you don't like it, I'll buy it from you for $67 ;). I'd see if a welder can repair the crack. Fallback would be to epoxy it. You got a great deal. Enjoy.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics