How bad did I hurt my ZEQ25???

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Seanem44

Seanem44

Apollo

• Loc: Woodbridge, VA

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:58 PM

Imaged the Horsehead tonight for about three hours. Forgot to back off both tension knobs. They were locked down. I didn't slew much at all, but still... Worried that I may have damaged it. Am
I ok???

#2 Dwight J

Dwight J

Viking 1

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

As far as I know, tension knobs have to be tightened for GOTO to work. This mount may be different but I doubt it.

#3 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

If you can slew in DEC and RA without getting Overcurent errors, you should be Ok.

#4 Seanem44

Seanem44

Apollo

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:07 PM

Thanks Mike. Not used to steps like this, and as mentioned, it's an odd design feature indeed. No odd sounds or grinding, tracking seemed fine as well. Got lucky I think.

#5 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:09 PM

As far as I know, tension knobs have to be tightened for GOTO to work. This mount may be different but I doubt it.

This one is different. You tighten the knobs then back them off a quarter turn or so.

#6 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

Sean,

With the knobs tightened down all the way I'm surprised you didn't get Overcurent errors on the HBX.

Mike

#7 nine44

nine44

Mariner 2

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:23 PM

Sean--the overcurrent error will protect your ZEQ--that's what it is there for. If you had them tightened all the way down, and it slewed fine, then you probably achieved the lowest possible backlash. I think you are just fine.

#8 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: USA

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:02 PM

Sean, it didn't hurt anything; just the best practice to back-off a bit, that's all. Regards

#9 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:03 PM

You're way okay Sean. It means your encoder motors have enough oomph to track even with the bare minimum worm to gear clearance.

If the gear or worm were even .005 out of round, the mount would have triggered 'overcurrent' messages as noted by the others.

You have a 'keeper'...grats.

Best...Paul

#10 calypsob

calypsob

Viking 1

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:27 AM

Sounds like you are a ok, I have never left mine locked down all the way but I have accidentally left the tension knobs too loose, I lifted the mount and moved it a few feet and the RA axis cammed out and made the most gut wrenching grinding sound I have ever heard. I am still praying that everything is ok as I have not tested it since this mistake. Always pay the closest attention to the tension knobs with this mount!

#11 Seanem44

Seanem44

Apollo

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:39 AM

Paul,

Thanks for the input. It might be possible my light load helped as well. Nice to know that there is a fail-safe with the RA current overload to protect from sever damage, whether intentional or not.

It still worked like a champ last night imaging.

#12 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cumbria, England 54.5ºN 2.5ºW

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

I don't quite get what those tension knobs do, because when I was playing about last night assembling my mount for the first time, I couldn't tell the difference between them tight or loosened, other than I couldn't release the gear switches without loosening them first.

#13 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Lewiston, Maine

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

Sean, I'm glad the ZEQ25 can survive a bit of real life use and maybe misuse. I'm impressed by this mounts ability to preform in real world conditions. I was really concerned with the amount of tweaking that people are doing to tune their mounts until I realized that the AVX mount did not seem to allow for owner tweaking and that is a little disconcerting for me. I think that if I were to order my new mount today the ZEQ25 would be the likely winner but increased health care outlays have delayed any equipment purchases for a while but it's nice to have the opportunity to study different mounts as they are assimilated into the astro community.
Be Well
Grey

#14 Tony Finnerty

Tony Finnerty

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada City, California

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:27 PM

Hi Sean. The ZEQ25 is double protected from damage while tracking. First, the spring-loaded worm 'cams' if the axis reaches some kind of resistance, e.g., running the scope into the tripod. If you have overtightened the tension knob, the worm will not be able to lift above the worm wheel teeth.

In that case, the second protection mode will kick in. The motor will draw too much current and will shut down. Your mount will not be damaged.

By the way, camming puts lots of little dents in the top of the brass worm spiral thread. The top surface of the worm thread does not contact the worm wheel teeth, only the sides of the worm thread do, so the denting from camming does not affect tracking. It's a good idea to avoid camming, though.

#15 Seanem44

Seanem44

Apollo

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:06 PM

I have come to realize these mounts are resilient little buggers. I carry my complete setup, OTA and Guider, out to my deck with ease. I have no doubt if I want a bigger OTA, I can still use the ZEQ to image, provided it is not monstrously huge.
This thing is a champ. I really am impressed. I was worried at first, but those worries were baseless.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics