Atlas EQ-G Polar Scope Alignment

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tclehman1969

tclehman1969

Ranger 4

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:01 PM

Just had a quick question. As it is raining here in California -- FINALLY! I know, it kills the sky, but we need it! -- I decided I would take a look to see how the polar scope alignment was holding with the mount since I bought the mount last year. When I got it I didn't have to make any adjustments at all, so one of the few that have been lucky on that count.

So, I was just looking through the scope, lining up the circle in the reticle with a fixed object. I spun the RA axis and noticed the circle in the reticle stayed aligned with the point I put it on. But something I noticed was that the entire image rotated with the rotation of the RA axis. Anyone else ever notice this and could this impact the alignment of the polar scope with the mounts' polar axis?

Thanks!

#2 DrDispatch

DrDispatch

Ranger 4

• Loc: Spf, Mo

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:23 PM

make sure I understand you. when you rotate mount on RA axis, the etched big dipper etc turns too?
this is NORMAL. In fact the key to good polar alignment is rotating the scope so the small circle where you place polaris is in proper place for current time/date

#3 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

I think he means the entire field of view kind of wobbles even though the center spot stays on whatever it is aligned on. Yes I see that too and have been able to adjust it until that wobble is very small and then I use the alignment protocol anyway when doing my PA.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics