Here's what's new in SkySafari 4 for Android
- New look-and-feel, app icons, and artwork.
- Complete rewrite of compass code for much smoother and more accurate motion tracking.
- Google Maps integration: choose your location from a built-in Maps view, under Settings -> Location.
- Improved method for obtaining time zone and daylight saving time rules when you switch to a location other than "current location".
- Animated meteor showers, with complete viewing information and spectacular graphics.
- New horizon panoramas: Yerba Buena Gardens in downtown San Francisco, Uluru (Ayers Rock) Australia, and the top of Mauna Kea on Hawaii's Big Island. Or add your own!
- Plus & Pro - Completely reinvented scope control panel. Up/Down/Left/Right controls only appear when the scope is connected, and big enough to be useable.
- Plus & Pro - Objects lists under Search are now sortable by name, number, magnitude, RA, Dec, and many other properties.
- Plus & Pro - New Advanced Search options let you find objects using properties other than their name. For example, you can find all objects of a certain type, within a certain constellation, brighter than a certain magnitude, etc.
- Plus & Pro - New Advanced Time settings let you enter a date & time thousands of years in the past or future, to the nearest second, or using Julian dates.
- Plus & Pro - New Telescope Equipment settings let you enter a list of all your telescope equipment. Select different combinations of eyepieces and telescopes to display field-of-view automatically. Set up a separate camera and auto-guider FOV. All FOV indicators can be labelled in the sky chart.
- Plus & Pro - New Observing list features. Now log observations of objects directly from the Object Info view, or show all your observations of any object at once. With any observation, you can now include the equipment you used to observe the object, the location you observed from, and the observing conditions (seeing and transparency).
- Plus & Pro - New Variable Stars list, containing the brightest and best-known variables in the sky.
- Plus & Pro - Added hundreds more descriptions for solar system objects. Every moon in the solar system now has a description, as do dozens of well-known asteroids and comets. Many existing object descriptions updated and rewritten. The brightest satellites now have descriptions, too, and the ISS and HST have 3D models.
- Plus & Pro - Default solar system database updated with the latest data, including Pluto's 5 moons, asteroid orbit data from Lowell observatory, and comet orbits from JPL (current Nov 2013). Pro now contains 630,000 asteroids!
- Plus & Pro - Deep sky database contains numerous bug fixes reported by users. M106 now has an image in the sky chart.
- Pro only - All full screen images in Object Info now include hi-res versions for the iPad.
- Pro only - Database now contains Guide Star Catalog 2.x stars to magnitude 15 - total 25 million (up from 15 million in SkySafari 3 Pro).
- Pro only - Database now includes the complete General Catalog of Variable Stars and Washington Double Star catalogs.
Bill & Tim