• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:43 PM

After many months of hard work, Simulation Curriculum would like to announce the release of SkySafari 4 for Android. This is a major new release and is not a free upgrade from SkySafari 1.8. However, to help you to move to the new version, SkySafari basic, Plus and Pro will be half price until April 21st.

Here's what's new in SkySafari 4 for Android
  • New look-and-feel, app icons, and artwork.
  • Complete rewrite of compass code for much smoother and more accurate motion tracking.
  • Google Maps integration: choose your location from a built-in Maps view, under Settings -> Location.
  • Improved method for obtaining time zone and daylight saving time rules when you switch to a location other than "current location".
  • Animated meteor showers, with complete viewing information and spectacular graphics.
  • New horizon panoramas: Yerba Buena Gardens in downtown San Francisco, Uluru (Ayers Rock) Australia, and the top of Mauna Kea on Hawaii's Big Island. Or add your own!
  • Plus & Pro - Completely reinvented scope control panel. Up/Down/Left/Right controls only appear when the scope is connected, and big enough to be useable.
  • Plus & Pro - Objects lists under Search are now sortable by name, number, magnitude, RA, Dec, and many other properties.
  • Plus & Pro - New Advanced Search options let you find objects using properties other than their name. For example, you can find all objects of a certain type, within a certain constellation, brighter than a certain magnitude, etc.
  • Plus & Pro - New Advanced Time settings let you enter a date & time thousands of years in the past or future, to the nearest second, or using Julian dates.
  • Plus & Pro - New Telescope Equipment settings let you enter a list of all your telescope equipment. Select different combinations of eyepieces and telescopes to display field-of-view automatically. Set up a separate camera and auto-guider FOV. All FOV indicators can be labelled in the sky chart.
  • Plus & Pro - New Observing list features. Now log observations of objects directly from the Object Info view, or show all your observations of any object at once. With any observation, you can now include the equipment you used to observe the object, the location you observed from, and the observing conditions (seeing and transparency).
  • Plus & Pro - New Variable Stars list, containing the brightest and best-known variables in the sky.
  • Plus & Pro - Added hundreds more descriptions for solar system objects. Every moon in the solar system now has a description, as do dozens of well-known asteroids and comets. Many existing object descriptions updated and rewritten. The brightest satellites now have descriptions, too, and the ISS and HST have 3D models.
  • Plus & Pro - Default solar system database updated with the latest data, including Pluto's 5 moons, asteroid orbit data from Lowell observatory, and comet orbits from JPL (current Nov 2013). Pro now contains 630,000 asteroids!
  • Plus & Pro - Deep sky database contains numerous bug fixes reported by users. M106 now has an image in the sky chart.
  • Pro only - All full screen images in Object Info now include hi-res versions for the iPad.
  • Pro only - Database now contains Guide Star Catalog 2.x stars to magnitude 15 - total 25 million (up from 15 million in SkySafari 3 Pro).
  • Pro only - Database now includes the complete General Catalog of Variable Stars and Washington Double Star catalogs.

Sincerely,

Bill & Tim
Simulation Curriculum

#2 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:18 AM

Great work guys!!

What is the eta for the OSX release? With bluestacks I guess you could also say you're windows compatible too!!

Al

#3 Sgriffith62

Sgriffith62

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:21 AM

Using the new Sky Safari Pro on my ASUS TF700T 32GB Tablet. Works Flawlessly. This team did an amazing job. Strongly recommend this ptogram.

#4 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:42 AM

Great work guys!!

What is the eta for the OSX release? With bluestacks I guess you could also say you're windows compatible too!!

Al

I will start work on the Mac upgrade soon. Unfortunately, there is another project we have that will suck away some of my cycles. Expect the Mac version in a couple of months.

#5 weezy

weezy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: East of the sun-west of the moon

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:07 AM

What happens if you don't have Google maps but just use GPS?
I rooted phone and deleted maps years ago.

#6 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:28 AM

Using Google Maps is just another option now. All the old ways of entering your location still work.

#7 tezster

tezster

Viking 1

• Loc: Missisauga, Canada

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:04 AM

Just downloaded it last night - I haven't played with it too much yet, but it looks good so far. Real test will be when I connect it to my BT-enabled scope for push-to capability. I love that there's an 'always-on' mode now to prevent the tablet from going to sleep.

#8 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:26 AM

Fainter included stars is the primary lure for me.

#9 PJ Anway

PJ Anway

Double-Star Observer

• Moderators
  • Loc: North Coast

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:18 PM

Wondering if my one pet peeve has changed? I have SkySafari Pro 1.8 and I like the natural look of a Monochrome chart and the "Translucent" horizon.
Here is my question:
In the "Color" chart the horizon line and cardinal points are brighter and easy to see; however in the "Monochrome" chart the horizon line and cardinal points are dim and difficult to see. Has this changed in SkySafari 4?

Thanks for a great product.

#10 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:41 PM

No, nothing has changed with respect to this. Have you mentioned this to us before?

#11 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Aurora

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:01 PM

I just bought the pro version for IOS last night and used it right away on my phone and iPad. Don't know why I waited so long. Really full featured. It was expensive as far as iOS apps go, but inexpensive compared to features offered even compared to PC, so great work. Highly recommended as it was very intuitive.

#12 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for supporting us. Be sure to read through the Help to learn some of the more advanced features in the app.

#13 gillmj24

gillmj24

Aurora

• Loc: PA

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:25 PM

Loving the new android app!

I saw that the moon turned red for the recent lunar eclipse. Is there a way to calculate eclipses inside he program, without going to wikipedia to find out which date to enter?

For total eclipses is he moon's shadow visible on earth in orbit mode? I love how jupiter shadow transits are accurately predicted so this would be similar.

also I purchased the satellite app as well. Any chance to add iridium flare prediction here? Integration of both apps if both are purchased? Thanks!

#14 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:04 AM

I saw that the moon turned red for the recent lunar eclipse. Is there a way to calculate eclipses inside he program, without going to wikipedia to find out which date to enter?

Look at the Object Info on the Moon. It tells when the next eclipse will be.

For total eclipses is he moon's shadow visible on earth in orbit mode? I love how jupiter shadow transits are accurately predicted so this would be similar.

Yes, in orbit mode you will see the Moon's shadow on the Earth during a total *solar* eclipse. Try it.

Any chance to add iridium flare prediction here? Integration of both apps if both are purchased?

We have talked about adding Iridium flare predictions. No, there is probably zero chance the two apps will be integrated.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics