SkySafari 4 for the Android is here

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#26 swsantos

swsantos

Mariner 2

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:13 PM

I saved the settings on one device with a unique name then copied the file to the other device and voila all the settings moved over including the equipment inventory. I was afraid that file would contain device specific configuration and not play nice on the other device but that does not seem to be the case. Yay!

#27 skysurfer

skysurfer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NL, N 52 E 6

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:25 AM

I want to download and install SS4 Pro, but I have SS 1.8.5 Pro. Should I uninstall SS 1.8.5 first and leaving the skysafari folder with the current settings first so I can use my existing skysets ?

#28 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:32 AM

You don't need to uninstall 1.8.5 when you install SS4.

#29 skysurfer

skysurfer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

You don't need to uninstall 1.8.5 when you install SS4.

Which means that the data of 1.8.5 will be overwritten by 4 ?
Or are there two versions installed separately ? That takes a lot of sdcard space so I don't need both.

I'd prefer to install 4.0 only with the skyset settings and horizons which I have currently. Is that possible ?

#30 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

They are separate apps, each with their own settings and observing lists. If you want your SS1.8.5 settings and observing lists in SS4, you will need to manually copy them.

#31 skysurfer

skysurfer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

Indeed that worked but it seems a huge amount of space (1.2GB) appears to be wasted.
There is an installer file main.401.com.simulationcurriculum.skysafari4pro.obb of 1.2GB and when I remove that file, there is still almost 2GB used by Skysafari. But then Skysafari complains that this file is missing despite it is only an installer.
So it required 3.2GB of storage space ?

#32 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

I don't know where you are seeing wasted space. I suspect this is an Android bug in reporting how much space is used.

You have to have the .obb file. This is where all the data is. There are no other big files used by the app. Pro requires about 1.3 GB for the full install, not 3.2 GB.

#33 skysurfer

skysurfer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

Thanks, it is indeed something with cache or similar things.

I uninstalled SS4Pro completely, rebooted the device and reinstalled it and 'gained' 1GB while it keeps working and uses the .obb file. Probably cache cleared or still the caches from SS1.85Pro which I uninstalled earlier.

Thanks for your quick reply.

One more question: how do I remove telescope / eyepiece, etc. ? I can only add /edit it.

#34 Fimpster

Fimpster

Vanguard

• Loc: Aprox. 1 AU from Sun

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

Is there a feature comparison?

THIS PAGE has just a small paragraph on the differences. I am hoping for something more substantial.

Looking to finally purchase this highly regarded app but wondering if Plus is adequate or should I spring for Pro?

What are other CN'ers thoughts on Plus v Pro?

#35 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

Is there a feature comparison?

THIS PAGE has just a small paragraph on the differences. I am hoping for something more substantial.

Looking to finally purchase this highly regarded app but wondering if Plus is adequate or should I spring for Pro?

What are other CN'ers thoughts on Plus v Pro?

If you look at the menu on the left hand side of that page, there is a "Version Comparison" item. That should have the info you need.

#36 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:53 PM

One more question: how do I remove telescope / eyepiece, etc. ? I can only add /edit it.

Tap the edit button (or label) at the top of the screen. Select the item you want to delete and tap the Trash icon at the bottom. You can also move items up and down in the list while in edit mode.

Note: There is a bug where you can't delete Cameras right now. We have this find and will be in a new release in a couple of days.

#37 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:53 PM

Post deleted by richard7 It was identical to the above post.

#38 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

Guys, I want to remind you that this is *not* Simulation Curriculum's support forum. I will try to answer a few question here, but really you should ask at our Yahoo Group or at:

http://support.simul...ncurriculum.com

Bill

#39 sparkyht

sparkyht

Vostok 1

• Loc: 43N 89W

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

Who here has SS4 successfully running on Android 4.4 aka Kit Kat and on what device? I'm asking because it won't on my Galaxy S3. I had to go back to 4.3 Jellybean to get it to load. Strangely enough, 1.8.5 worked fine on AOSP 4.4.

#40 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

We have had lots of people on 4.4.x. Probably half our beta testers were on it. The main Android devices I develop on, Nexus 7 and Galaxy Tab 10.1 are on 4.4. There is not a general 4.4 problem.

#41 Fimpster

Fimpster

Vanguard

• Loc: Aprox. 1 AU from Sun

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

If you look at the menu on the left hand side of that page, there is a "Version Comparison" item. That should have the info you need.

Haha, oops, should've spent more than 60 seconds looking at it. :o

Thanks, Bill!

#42 skysurfer

skysurfer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:31 AM

@btschumy, Thanks ! The equipment items can now be deleted..

Another issue : the Moon is VERY dark, sometimes even invisible when it is a narrow crescent. But even a large gibbous Moon is dark gray instead of white.

Forthermore, great work done and the app is blazingly fast on my Note 2 !

Attached Files

#43 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:07 AM

Who here has SS4 successfully running on Android 4.4 aka Kit Kat and on what device? I'm asking because it won't on my Galaxy S3. I had to go back to 4.3 Jellybean to get it to load. Strangely enough, 1.8.5 worked fine on AOSP 4.4.

I have a Nexus 7 (2013) Tablet and a Nexus 5 phone, both are running Kitkat, SSPro 4 runs great on both of them.

Jon

#44 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:11 AM

Bill:

I am really liking the compass in Sky Safari 4. With the Nexus 5 and probably the 7 too, it seems to be right on the money.. :goodjob:

Jon

#45 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:41 AM

Thanks Jon,

Ask you may know, the compass code was rewritten in SS4 to use "sensor fusion", whereby the compass and gyro are both used. The gyro readings are used to stabilize the compass readings.

Although it works well on all our devices, we still get reports of bad behavior on some customer devices. It is hard to know what to make of these reports. Maybe that device has bad sensors or maybe it is something else. We are pretty sure the basic code is correct.

Bill

#46 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

Thanks Jon,

Ask you may know, the compass code was rewritten in SS4 to use "sensor fusion", whereby the compass and gyro are both used. The gyro readings are used to stabilize the compass readings.

Although it works well on all our devices, we still get reports of bad behavior on some customer devices. It is hard to know what to make of these reports. Maybe that device has bad sensors or maybe it is something else. We are pretty sure the basic code is correct.

Bill

Bill:

There are so many android devices out there in so many different forms, the fact that it works at all is amazing...

My house and backyard is setup within a degree or two of north-south/east west, I know when the compass is 10 degrees off without looking at the sky.. Sky Safari 4.0 Pro seems like it is within a degree or two..

Jon

#47 Edd Weninger

Edd Weninger

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

I have a different compass program on my Samsung Tab2. It works much better when I remove the accessory case. It has a magnetic closing latch ;-)

Cheers,

#48 thebigeast44

thebigeast44

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:24 PM

Can the app be moved to the SD card? I'm thinking of going for Pro but don't have enough room unless it can be moved to the SD card. I'm using a Galaxy Note 2 with Android 4.3. Thanks!

#49 Shneor

Shneor

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:00 AM

Can the app be moved to the SD card? I'm thinking of going for Pro but don't have enough room unless it can be moved to the SD card. I'm using a Galaxy Note 2 with Android 4.3. Thanks!

With 4.2.2 at least, and Links2SD, it won't work - only a small (relatively tiny) percentage can be moved to the SD card, and none of the (encrypted) data. There's FolderMount, an app that may allow SSF4 to be moved to the SD card, but I have not tried it; I have plenty of free space on my internal card.

The app has only one quasar in the database, and while it is the brightest, it is far from the most interesting. I repeat: the database should include the Double Quasar in Ursa Major, which I have observed several times, and Einstein's Cross, which I have yet to observe (but will continue seeking).

But this is a terrifc app, even though I will never use it to control my 22".

#50 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

Finally got SS4Pro for Android purchased and installed, a quick run thru during the past couple of days, it looks like an incremental upgrade instead of any major changes/addition imo. The Telescope Equipment settings is a nice addition, but it's still a clunky process to make any changes or toggle it on the main screen (likewise when you want to flip Hz/Vert for ep view, you have to drill down menus, and there's no on-screen indication to show which axis you've flipped). imo unless you need the extra catalogs, $40 (current price) is a little steep to jump from the previous Southern Stars version. Won't get it for my iOS devices for now.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics