Photo

Look what came with my 1972 C8

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 sqrlman

sqrlman

Vostok 1

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:54 PM

I really would like to know where those two C8's have been all these years. There are probably good stories they could tell, if only they could speak. It's a shame that such wonderful, expensive telescopes were not kept in better condition. :bawling:

The problem you see in these early C8's was caused by the primer. There was an incompatibility between the green primer and the paint. The primer is bleeding through the paint. After this happens the paint feel sticky to the touch.

Steve

#27 AustinAstronomer

AustinAstronomer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

I really would like to know where those two C8's have been all these years. There are probably good stories they could tell, if only they could speak. It's a shame that such wonderful, expensive telescopes were not kept in better condition. :bawling:

The problem you see in these early C8's was caused by the primer. There was an incompatibility between the green primer and the paint. The primer is bleeding through the paint. After this happens the paint feel sticky to the touch.

Steve

Interesting. I didn't know that.

The metal parts appear to be heavily corroded, too. Were they painted?

#28 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

Never saw a three tone in person. I do have an early 74 and it has the only acceptable C8 optics of the "cough" few I've owned or borrowed.

#29 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

That's a beauty. Id give my eye teeth to have it!!!

If it were me, Id have the corrector and mirrors recoated with the best, something like Spectrums MaxR. The tube -Id sand and repaint and flock the heck out of the entire inside, baffles etc. Id do my best to match the original exterior color.

Its a beauty - truly.

Pete

#30 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:09 AM

Uh, thank you! Thats a beautiful old scope. Keep it running!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics