What did you watch last night?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 Abhat

Abhat

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Maryland, USA

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

Today 5-7 AM - Crescent Moon, Boilng Venus over neighbors roof, Blurry Mars and good view of Saturn. Slipped on snow but was lucky not to get hurt and damage the scope.

#27 rnc39560

rnc39560

Vanguard

• Loc: MS coast

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

Abhat- ditto! Just no snow or falling.

#28 npc

npc

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

What did you watch last night? How was it?

Nothing remarkable last night (3/25), but the night before last I took the scope out to a fairly dark sky site (high quality green site, bordering on blue). The highlight of the night was clearly seeing the zodiacal light for the first time. I'm pretty sure I've spotted it before, but on this night the site was chosen to provide a good view of it this time of year, the best time to view it after sunset. It was pretty spectacular, stretching further up into the sky than I had expected.

I then spent some time hunting for some obscure NGC open clusters that had eluded me this winter in Gemini, Monoceros, and Puppis. Found a bunch, but many still eluded me, and I probably need a darker site or more aperture to find the rest on my list.

I sketched a wide field view of the sword of Orion complex, including views of NGCs 1977 and 1980. I couldn't quite also get NGC 1981 in the same field of view. There's a lot going on there that warrants still further study. The sketch isn't great, as I messed up some of the perspective, but it required me to examine each component carefully, which, for me, is the real purpose of sketching. Nobody is going to find any scientific or artistic value in my sketches.

Of course there were views of many Messier objects, but most of the evening was devoted to more obscure objects. Of the Messier targets, the one I enjoyed the most was M104, as with averted vision I believe I could pick out the dust lane, which is the first time I've done so with this telescope.

Then I spent most of the rest of the evening looking for NGC galaxies in Leo, Ursa Major, and Sextans. Of these, I found NGC 3521 in Leo to be a surprisingly fine galaxy. I see it listed in some object lists, such as the RASC guide's suggested NGC objects list, but based on my limited observations it deserves a lot more attention than it seems to me it gets. It's a better object than a significant number of Messier Virgo galaxies, for example. How something like NGC 147 makes the Caldwell list and this doesn't I'll never understand.

The transparency was very good, but the seeing was quite remarkable, maybe rating an 8 on the Pickering scale, which made this a really good night for observing. It did get cold enough to require a jacket over my sweatshirt and light gloves, but that's what I expect this time of year at this site. Overall, it was an excellent night of observing, thanks for asking!

#29 patg43

patg43

Mariner 2

• Loc: Hoodsport, Washington

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

Star Trek, It's still an awesome movie. SeaWolfe, you should have been outside at 8:20 to 8:22, it was clear as a bell!

#30 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• Loc: SE MN

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

tv

#31 Dadadee

Dadadee

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Near Montreal, Qc, Canada

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:32 PM

I had a nasty day at the office. Once my kids were in bed, i had documents to read to get ready for 3 meetings tomorrow which will likely be worst than today... But I had put my scope out at 7pm, just in case...

Before going to bed, i had a look outside. Ok, before getting the scope in, i will have a look at Jupiter. It was the best moment of my day! Seeing was just ok. Colors were great. Nice spectacle! 272x and 240x were acceptable but best view was with my barlow 12mm Delos. Gosh, I love that eyepiece!

Being in Gemini, why not have a peak at M35? Second best moment of my day. I could see the smaller NGC cluster just beside. Extremely pretty.

After 40 minutes, it was time to get in. I will sleep better. Astronomy is good for my stress. :)

#32 T1R2

T1R2

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:35 AM

Grizzly Adams

#33 pstarr

pstarr

Gemini

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

My wife made me watch survivor. Today she is making me take her to see Noah. I refuse to watch American Idol. Married life is great.

#34 seawolfe

seawolfe

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

I saw Mars again but only for a brief moment....the clouds found the whole in the sky and corrected their mistake. :lol:

#35 ve1drg

ve1drg

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:44 AM

I went out last night to look at M49 in Virgo.
I was using only my binoculars. Couldn't stay long as the bugs/mosquitoes were too strong for me. So back in the house and another movie on the TV.
But nice to get out often which I do here in Florida.

#36 pstarr

pstarr

Gemini

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

I was using only my binoculars. Couldn't stay long as the bugs/mosquitoes were too strong for me. So back in the house and another movie on the TV.

Bugs?, we have 6" of snow coming tonight. Bugs sound good about now.

#37 Dadadee

Dadadee

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Near Montreal, Qc, Canada

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:10 AM

M38, M36, M37 in Auriga
M35 in Gemini
Castor, alpha Gemini, split the double star
M44 in Cancer
M67 at the bottom of Cancer, first time I ever saw that cluster in a telescope
Iota Cancer, a nice blue/golden double star. Another first for me. :-)

I finished with Jupiter and Mars. I did not see anything on Mars...

#38 Escher

Escher

Apollo

• Loc: Fenton, MI

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:32 AM

Dexter on Netflix... Cloudy...

#39 rowdy388

rowdy388

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

It has been a windy, rainy past three days. Last night late it finally settled down and I went outside before turning in and the sky was great. I turned the house lights off and just spent an hour naked eye reacquainting with the dim constellations as my eyes adjusted. Leo Minor, Lynx, Cancer, Sextans, Crater, and the beautiful big Coma Cluster which was nearly overhead. I slept well.
Dave Y

#40 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

First clearish night for awhile so took a couple of shots of M82 and its fading SN 2014J -now a pretty orange and nearby M81 Bodes gxy then NGC 2436 feable gxy in Draco before cloud over. Posted M82 pic from obsy moments later onto CN - good fun:-)

#41 gene 4181

gene 4181

Surveyor 1

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

Bugs?, we have 6" of snow coming tonight. Bugs sound good about now.

i would take a whole swarm of muffleheads too.

#42 seawolfe

seawolfe

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:18 AM

Cleared up yesterday night...Tuesday April 1. Only a few clouds near my horizon. Was out from 8:00 PM to 10:30PM when I had to pack everything inside in order to get ready to go to work.

BUT.... did get to see Jupiter and Mars; practiced imaging...not very good yet. Did get some pix of the crescent Moon, very nice! Got out the binoviewers and my 3X barlow to get some pretty nice views of Jupiter and Mars.

Attached Files

#43 patg43

patg43

Mariner 2

• Loc: Hoodsport, Washington

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:01 PM

also watched half of a documentary about a guy named kenny shopsin who has a restaurant in greenwich village. watching the end right now. he's a nutcase. kind of of like the soup nazi. will not seat a party of 5, for whatever reason.

"I like Killing Flies" is the name of that movie. It really is a great movie, thanks for reminding me of it, Noisy. I will probably need something to look at, other than the sky, for a few days. Perhaps Tuesday we will get some clear!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics