• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Michal1

Michal1

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:57 AM

Wow, I have the first post in the resurrected forum! What a great honest for me! :grin:

Here you see my first attempt of a HDR film image of Milky Way. It is a combination a long and a short exposure. The longer should bring out the nebulae and te shorter to recover the colors of the bright star, the centers of which get saturated in long exposures.
Posted Image
200mm SMC, f/5.6, 92?min+20min, Kodak E200.

The greatest contribution of the short exposure was that I was able to replace the trailed stars from the long exposure by not-so-trailed stars from the shorter one. Here you can find the 8.5 Mpix version of the image.

#2 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:09 PM

gorgeous !!!

#3 Michal1

Michal1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

Thanks Mike!

#4 jimegger

jimegger

Apollo

• Loc: Palmer,Alaska

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:41 AM

Very nice ..... sublime beauty here !

#5 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Frostbite Falls

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:59 PM

Michal, this is really looking good from my perspective. I must agree that the star colours are nicely saturated and large stars are not bloated. This makes sense for what you are doing. Not sure of your sky fog limit, but I might suggest that 90 minutes could be a bit on the longer side even without push development. The reason I mention this is that I found that most everything nebula wise would not really gain much once a certain point was reached in my area typically around mag. 6.8. But my area seems to always have a very thin high layer of haze. Stars mag would go deeper, but this seemed to just add a "noise" to the background. Your use of the stars with 20 minutes is definitely the answer here - and keeps the image clean.

Keep experimenting Michal. This is really getting "there".

Igor

#6 Michal1

Michal1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

Thank you all!
Igor, you are right about the exposure time. I would never take a 90 min exposure intentionally. Maybe wrote down the exposure time incorrectly. Or I might forgot about the camera when I was looking into my scope. I should start using an alarm clock. I realized that I can process a single frame similarly to the HDR frame with great results. I don't have a lot of film for experimentation now. I seriously consider taking the rests of my E200 supply and use it up under the really dark skies of Austrian Alps this summer.

#7 bluesteel

bluesteel

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: KILM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:52 PM

Fantastic shot! :bow: I think I have found my new computer desktop background for a while! ...especially with all the clouds around here.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics