Photo

Explore Scientific 127ED on a iOptron ZEQ25?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mickey_C

Mickey_C

Ranger 4

• Loc: AZ

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

Is the explore scientific combination of weight and length going to be too much for the ZEQ25? Alternately, I am considering the Skywatcher 120ED on the same mount... any experience with this combination?

Thanks!

#2 calypsob

calypsob

Viking 1

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

It handles my RC8 with ease so I don't think it will give you any problems.

#3 Dan Finnerty

Dan Finnerty

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Pasadena, CA

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

Is the explore scientific combination of weight and length going to be too much for the ZEQ25? Alternately, I am considering the Skywatcher 120ED on the same mount... any experience with this combination?

Thanks!

I found it to be a bit shaky with my ES127ED CF, which is lighter than the aluminum tube version. It took several seconds to damp out vibrations when focusing. Workable but annoying. Of course I got spoiled with the 127 on my G11. That is a rock-solid combo. I can keep my fingers on the focus knob and not see any vibration.

I think the issue is the length/moment arm of the refractor as much as the weight.

#4 calypsob

calypsob

Viking 1

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

The 2" tripod dampens out vibrations very well. And yes a G11 which is rated for almost twice the weight of a zeq25 is much more solid, also much heavier, and much more expensive.

#5 Mickey_C

Mickey_C

Ranger 4

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:21 AM

FWIW - I got the mount. Tested it with a Sky-Watcher Pro 120ED, and I think the mount is struggling. It's too much refractor - and that one is lighter than the ES 127.

I've had so many G11's in the past, I can well appreciate the stability of that mount, but the only thing I don't like is the weight and setup time.

I am contemplating moving to the smaller ES102 triplet with CF tube instead. The mount is very nice... playing with makes me extremely worried about the chinese goal of landing on Mars. They might just do it...

#6 Mickey_C

Mickey_C

Ranger 4

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

I played with it some more - I think I'm having issues balancing it correctly... this doesn't balance the same way as a gem. With a GEM once balanced I can unlock the RA & DEC axis & move the scope anywhere i want and it doesn't move. This one returns to the Z balanced spot. Is that just a function of the mount?

I also discovered that it works better loosening those tension screws. Jury is still out. A taller tripod would be better however.

#7 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

Is the explore scientific combination of weight and length going to be too much for the ZEQ25?

Yes. I believe either is going to be too much. You need to go up one mount level for either IMHO.

#8 T1R2

T1R2

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

yep, usually one can tell by looking at the scope on the mount and see if its too big, I always go by looks and never listed weight capacity, Ioptron shows the WO102 f/7 scope on it and I think its about as large as a refractor that one would want to use on it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics