Jump to content


Photo

Cherry Spirngs Star Party 2014

  • Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#26 George N

George N

    Mercury-Atlas

  • *****
  • Posts: 2761
  • Joined: 19 May 2006
  • Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

Well, 3 weeks to go!!

There is no info on the CSSP website about speakers, prizes, and vendors.....

...but there is a list of all 3 on their FaceBook page: FaceBook page

There's no info on a food vendor..... so pack your lunches! :)

#27 star drop

star drop

    contra contrail

  • *****
  • Moderators
  • Posts: 71055
  • Joined: 02 Feb 2008
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

From the Facebook page.

An email will go out to those who are registered containing updated information on speakers and vendors.

Did anyone get that yet?

#28 George N

George N

    Mercury-Atlas

  • *****
  • Posts: 2761
  • Joined: 19 May 2006
  • Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

From the Facebook page.


An email will go out to those who are registered containing updated information on speakers and vendors.

Did anyone get that yet?


Not me..... but I'll copy and post what was said on their FaceBook page in a following message.

#29 George N

George N

    Mercury-Atlas

  • *****
  • Posts: 2761
  • Joined: 19 May 2006
  • Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

The following is copied from the CSSP FaceBook page; I have no direct knowledge of any of this:

SPEAKERS LIST:

Jerry Bonnell, Ph.D., NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
"Day Trips in the Universe"

Steve Germann
"The design and development of the SkyStopper Equatorial Platform for Dobsonians"

Chip Harrison, Pennsylvania DCNR
Updates on CSSP

Maxine Harrison, Cherry Springs Park Dark Sky Fund
Dark Sky Fund Updates and CSSP

Jason Kendall, William Paterson University
"Breaking News, Yes, the Universe Really Did Begin 13.798 Billion Years Ago."

Roxanne Kamin, Conrad Weiser, Astronomical Society of Harrisburg
“The Development and Activities of the Edward L. Naylor Observatory”

Don Pullen, Hamilton, Ontario, Astronomical Society
“Cosmic Doom - Some of the Ways that the Universe is Out to Get You.”

Larry McHenry, Kinski Amateur Astronomers
"The Herschel's and Their Catalog"

Mike Snider M.D., Ph.D., Astronomical Society of Harrisburg
"Your Eye - a User's Manual for the Amateur Astronomer"

BIOS:
Jerry Bonnell : Dr. Jerry Bonnell received a Ph.D. in astronomy from the University of Maryland in 1987. He has since enjoyed working on a variety of astrophysical satellite projects at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center including the Cosmic Background Explorer, the International Ultraviolet Explorer, the Compton Gamma Ray Observatory, and the Fermi Gamma-ray
Space Telescope. While his research interests have wandered across the entire electromagnetic spectrum, since 1992 they have focused on the time histories and spectral evolution of cosmic gamma-ray bursts.

Author of popular books, reviews, and magazine articles on astronomy and high-energy astrophysics, Dr. Bonnell is also a founding editor and author of the Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) website, begun in 1995.

Steve Germann - Steve Germann is President of Ekasilicon Technology Ltd, Makers of the SkyStopper Equatorial Platform

Chip Harrison - Chip Harrison is the manager of Cherry Spring State Park. He will report on the latest developments and activities at Pennsylvania’s Dark Sky Astronomy Park.

Jason Kendall - Jason Kendall is on faculty at William Paterson University in Wayne, NJ. He is the Astronomy Liaison Coordinator, specializing in public outreach and astronomy education. Last year he told us about urban astronomy in the New York Metropolitan Area."

Roxanne Kamin - Roxanne Kamin is a Trustee of ASH and a small telescope owner who enjoys public education activities including public star parties and serving as an instructor in our Introductory Observational Astronomy Course, now in its 43d year.

Conrad Weiser - Conrad Weiser is an ASH Trustee who designed and led the construction of our new imaging observatory, the “Conrad Weiser Observatory”.

Don Pullen - Don Pullen was a child of the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo years, and avidly followed those programs. However he only became "seriously" interested in the hobby of astronomy in the late 90's with the arrival of 2 bright comets. He's been an active member of the Hamilton Amateur Astronomers since the early 2000's and has served in numerous capacities. He particularly enjoys doing public outreach and presentations, including programs for kids and adults. Several of his other titles include "Tour of the Universe", and "Amateur Radio Astronomy".

Larry McHenry - Larry McHenry has been active in amateur astronomy for over 30 years, and is a member of the Kiski Astronomers, near Pittsburgh. His favorite astronomical activities include solar observing, video astronomy, drawing his impressions at the eyepiece and studying the mythology of the night sky. Larry has been a regular presenter at the Star Party, speaking last year of the history of Venus Transits, and earlier on Solar Observing and Astronomical Myths & Legends.

Mike Snider - Mike Snider is a past president of ASH and is a long-time visual observer and imager of the Planets and Moon. He has over 50 years of experience in amateur astronomy and regularly participates in outreach events.㭡

#30 George N

George N

    Mercury-Atlas

  • *****
  • Posts: 2761
  • Joined: 19 May 2006
  • Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

More from the CSSP 2014 FaceBook page:

ADM Accessories, Skies Unlimited, Camera Concepts, Dark Skies Apparel, Sky Stones, Hands On Optics, Wood Wonders, Teeter's Telescopes, AstroGizmos, Software Bisque, and Ekasilicon Technology LTD will all be attending the star party.

and....
FOOD VENDOR: This year we will have the Green's catering for the star party. They provided 2013 CSSP astronomers with great meals and 24 hour service. We are pleased to have them catering this years star party as well.

#31 Howie Glatter

Howie Glatter

    Vendor

  • -----
  • Vendors
  • Posts: 866
  • Joined: 04 Jul 2006

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:55 AM

> ADM Accessories, Skies Unlimited, Camera Concepts, Dark Skies Apparel . .

I'll be there too, with discounted prices.

#32 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

    ISS

  • *****
  • Moderators
  • Posts: 35674
  • Joined: 08 Apr 2002
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:54 AM

The monthly ASH general meeting took place on Monday night. It looks like we'll be having a record number of vendors and door prizes this year. Preregistration figures are the highest ever.

Dave Mitsky

#33 George N

George N

    Mercury-Atlas

  • *****
  • Posts: 2761
  • Joined: 19 May 2006
  • Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:28 PM

Next week!

Long-range weather forecast makes Thursday seem like the best night, Friday 'just OK', Saturday 'go home early, or get wet'..... but as everyone knows, you can *never* depend on forecasts for Cherry Springs, even those put up the same day! :)

#34 TonyDralle

TonyDralle

    Apollo

  • *****
  • Posts: 1186
  • Joined: 17 Aug 2006
  • Loc: Bethel Park, PA

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

If you go home early on Saturday, you won't be there for the raffle drawings after the talks!

#35 Howie Glatter

Howie Glatter

    Vendor

  • -----
  • Vendors
  • Posts: 866
  • Joined: 04 Jul 2006

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

"Long-range weather forecast makes Thursday seem like the best night . ."

Well, you can always hang out in the vendor's tent if it's cloudy or raining.
Of course, I have no ulterior motive for this suggestion.

#36 George N

George N

    Mercury-Atlas

  • *****
  • Posts: 2761
  • Joined: 19 May 2006
  • Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

"Long-range weather forecast makes Thursday seem like the best night . ."

Well, you can always hang out in the vendor's tent if it's cloudy or raining.
Of course, I have no ulterior motive for this suggestion.


Ya.... right Howie..... :roflmao:


In the past, on cloudy, rainy nights, my friends and I have set up a laptop under a canopy tent to watch astro videos. On one of those occasions we had RobertN, the editor of Sky & Tel sit with us - commenting on all of the errors in the video! :cool:

No, we didn't electrocute ourselves, but it was fun watching the rain drip down next to the laptop, speakers, etc..... :p

#37 George N

George N

    Mercury-Atlas

  • *****
  • Posts: 2761
  • Joined: 19 May 2006
  • Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

BTW, Maxine (park director's wife) just posted in the CSSP Yahoo Group that the ticks are bad on the field this year, so .... as the Scouts say..... Be Prepared... bug spray, long pants, check yer bod for ticks.... etc.

Also, she notes Maxine's Maxims.... of observing field use:

"....think about where you place your stuff,,, confine your site to one as small as possible, don't be a "field hog" no matter how big you think your club is because there will be lots of people attending...be courteous of others....."

On that score: You guys with tiny little scopes (like some of mine): If you show up and see a big Dob already in place, remember: the thing swings thru a very large arc, and attracts lines of observers who will be climbing a ladder.... so leave plenty of space around such. For example, my Obsession 20 sweeps a circle 12 feet in diameter and often needs the ladder moved outside that arc. I've had people with SCTs, etc, show up and set up their scope, tent, RV, etc, right next to my scope! Then they grew grumpy when I asked if they had not seen the big Dob sitting there, and how they expected me to use the scope with their stuff right were the scope needs to swing.

#38 George N

George N

    Mercury-Atlas

  • *****
  • Posts: 2761
  • Joined: 19 May 2006
  • Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

If you go home early on Saturday, you won't be there for the raffle drawings after the talks!


Tony..... right on!! Can't miss that raffle! ...since I'm gonna win everything! :cool:

Both at Cherry Springs and at Stellafane, when faced with 100% chance of rain on Saturday, I've sometimes packed everything up..... ready to roll.... and sat thru the talks and raffle, and then afterwards, gotten in my vehicle and headed home. One year at Stellafane, that meant leaving at 9pm just as a big boomer hit, and then spending 2 hours driving dark Vermont mountain roads pulling a trailer thru an endless series of storms. I got home at 2:30am. Maybe I should have just stayed until morning.

#39 Peter D.

Peter D.

    Mariner 2

  • *****
  • Posts: 216
  • Joined: 09 Feb 2012
  • Loc: Central New York

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

Both at Cherry Springs and at Stellafane, when faced with 100% chance of rain on Saturday...


What is this, there's no such thing as 100% rain!! 100% clouds, that's another story... :crazy:

Despite the looming slow cold front it doesn't mean even 50% chance of rain; more like only 20 or 30%. Heck, at Cherry Springs there's a 20% chance of rain even when there's not a cloud in the sky. With the lousy weather last year we're due for decent weather this year.

Seriously, I'm counting on a great time no matter what the weather does. :jump:

#40 George N

George N

    Mercury-Atlas

  • *****
  • Posts: 2761
  • Joined: 19 May 2006
  • Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

Both at Cherry Springs and at Stellafane, when faced with 100% chance of rain on Saturday...


What is this, there's no such thing as 100% rain!! 100% clouds, that's another story... :crazy:

Despite the looming slow cold front it doesn't mean even 50% chance of rain; more like only 20 or 30%. Heck, at Cherry Springs there's a 20% chance of rain even when there's not a cloud in the sky. With the lousy weather last year we're due for decent weather this year.

Seriously, I'm counting on a great time no matter what the weather does. :jump:


That time at Stellafane there was a warning for a line of thunderstorms approaching, and a tornado warning about 20 miles away.... not to mention the year with two hurricanes that weekend! - still saw M-13 for the 15 minutes it was clear.

Last year at CSSP - I spent 5 nights on the field:

Tue: beautifully perfect night

Wed: so crummy that I just sat in a chair and looked thru sucker holes with binocs.

Thur/Fri: endless driving rain, high wind, fog, etc

Sat: Cleared up around dusk.... just as I shorted out the dew controller on my 20" Dob... with no fuses. :p
...but a friend lent me some rubber bands, and I used those to attach hand warmers to my secondary and eyepieces..... and it worked.

This year *has* to be better! :cool:

#41 ischua

ischua

    Under the Radar

  • *****
  • Posts: 3211
  • Joined: 17 Jul 2008
  • Loc: Below Snow Plop WNY

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:15 PM

Seriously, I'm counting on a great time no matter what the weather does. :jump:


My plan too. :waytogo: :waytogo:

#42 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

    ISS

  • *****
  • Moderators
  • Posts: 35674
  • Joined: 08 Apr 2002
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

The star party page on the ASH website is now pretty much up to date.

http://astrohbg.org/

Dave Mitsky

#43 Howie Glatter

Howie Glatter

    Vendor

  • -----
  • Vendors
  • Posts: 866
  • Joined: 04 Jul 2006

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:11 PM

". . I'm counting on a great time no matter what the weather does."

The forecast is looking quite a bit better right now.

#44 George N

George N

    Mercury-Atlas

  • *****
  • Posts: 2761
  • Joined: 19 May 2006
  • Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

". . I'm counting on a great time no matter what the weather does."

The forecast is looking quite a bit better right now.


The 'weather gurus' have pretty much zeroed in on Wed being boomers, and Thurs night being 'mostly clear'.

Fri/Sat/Sun nights: pick your poison - the forecasts range from rain to partly cloudy to even clear for all three nights. None of the weather guys agree on any one of them.

I suspect that Thur will 'be the night', and we'll at least see something on the other nights, but with dewy and wet conditions, and some rain too.

With that Wed forecast, I'm now waiting until Thurs to go, and will 'play it by ear' on when I'm going home - staying maybe as late as Monday morning.

#45 Howie Glatter

Howie Glatter

    Vendor

  • -----
  • Vendors
  • Posts: 866
  • Joined: 04 Jul 2006

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

"None of the weather guys agree on any one of them."

I'd go with the ones who aren't anthropogenic global warming deniers.
It seems a majority of corporate media weather guys are, while the overwhelming majority of actual climate and earth scientists are not.

#46 kfrederick

kfrederick

    Gemini

  • *****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Joined: 01 Feb 2008

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

Howie With your van you be dry, it is the others in tents need to worry!

#47 Howie Glatter

Howie Glatter

    Vendor

  • -----
  • Vendors
  • Posts: 866
  • Joined: 04 Jul 2006

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

". .With your van you be dry. ."

That's true Kevin, but we paid our dues for 13 years in a tent. The oversize tarp/rainfly that Pok Sun designed and deployed kept us dry most of the time, but Cherry Springs deluges sometimes breached even that.
Now I pay those dues monthly, but in another form, for that wonderful Mercedes Sprinter home away from home.

#48 star drop

star drop

    contra contrail

  • *****
  • Moderators
  • Posts: 71055
  • Joined: 02 Feb 2008
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

The star party page on the ASH website is now pretty much up to date.

http://astrohbg.org/

Dave Mitsky

:jump: :thewave: :bounce: :flexible: :whee: Wait a minute.
:scratchhead: I was planning on going without knowing all of that.

#49 TonyDralle

TonyDralle

    Apollo

  • *****
  • Posts: 1186
  • Joined: 17 Aug 2006
  • Loc: Bethel Park, PA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:16 AM

Does Accuweather have an astronomer on its staff? They offer "stargazing" forecasts:

stargazing

#50 Howie Glatter

Howie Glatter

    Vendor

  • -----
  • Vendors
  • Posts: 866
  • Joined: 04 Jul 2006

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:33 AM

Visit Weather Underground's astronomy page. They're not in denial :
http://www.wundergro...4&TheLon=-78...






Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics