New Book Acquisition - Not for the field

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

• Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:32 PM

My newest addition to the library collection.

Attached Files

#2 blb

blb

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

:bigshock: Wow!

#3 bumm

bumm

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

I know a person isn't supposed to covet stuff, but...
Marty :)

#4 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:18 PM

Wow... Congrats!

#5 macpurity

macpurity

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Quad Cities, Iowa, USA

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:07 AM

Lovely tome! Scans, in PDF, can be found on Google books. Congrats on a lovely library edition. I'd be curious as to the ownership history of that volume, David.

#6 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

• Loc: Dickinson, TX

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

My hand is jealous of your hand.

#7 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

Lovely tome! Scans, in PDF, can be found on Google books. Congrats on a lovely library edition. I'd be curious as to the ownership history of that volume, David.

Macp (and others),

First, thanks for the comments. I was fortunate that this was a "right time/right place" sort of situation.

The provenance of this volume was not known, however, it is interesting in that it has signs of having been rarely opened, if at all. It is an original London published edition (there were several editions of this book, including a USA published edition through London publishers... those are marked a bit differently).

It was apparently on display in a private library (as you noted the library binding), but not read. The inside endpapers (front and back, pastedown and loose) and the edges (top, foreedge, and bottom) are hand marbled, with gilding on all cover edges (which is a nice touch), borders of the panels, and the back spine (as you can see in the photograph). The aging of the book appears to be primarily (and normal) from sitting in a bookshelf and little else. It compares favorably to other volumes that I have seen of similar age.

I was pretty excited to find this book and be able to add it to my library. It represents a small bit of important astronomical history and has some sentimental value to me, as well.

#8 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:38 PM

Wow.

#9 Svezda

Svezda

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

ooooh, as we discussed on FB, I have a copy of this book but it is not almost unread as yours apparently is.

#10 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

The unused quality of this book was actually one of the first things I noticed about it and made my buying decision much easier (of course). I should have mentioned it on FB, but I was still trying to mentally take in the acquisition at the time!

#11 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

Very nice! :waytogo:

#12 scopenitout

scopenitout

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mt. Belzoni

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

V. nice.
Try not to get dew on it, ok? ;)

#13 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

So, here's your current challenge: can you put into words how it feels to hold something that old and that meaningful?

#14 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:47 PM

Michael,
That is a really interesting and good question. One reason that this is interesting to me is because I have actually spent a fair amount of time with some other old and meaningful books (which came from the good graces of others and something I don't take for granted!).

The first time I held something like this, it was the Principia, or at least, that was the first book that day. Actually, that particular day, my head went on overload, since I held and perused the Principia, Uranometria, Revolutionibus, Sidereus Nuncius, Bode's Uranographia, Robert Recorde's Castle of Knowledge (all original/first editions), plus several others (such as the Almagest, 1515 Latin edition). I would, over the next couple of years, get to revisit these books, and others, a few more times, reading them, taking notes, making comparisons between editions, etc.

As someone else noted, that first day after I left the library, I was having a bit of a problem putting simple words together to make a sentence. It was a bit of an emotional thing for me, not just seeing, but touching and reading these books that represented points of time in history when our view of the universe changed and became just a bit bigger. And this was no longer an academic ideal, a picture reference in a text book, or something pretty to say. Seeing these books made it quite real.

I look over my words here and I have to say, I still don't think they really capture what it felt like. So, with respect to your challenge, I think I failed miserably. But it was a nice reminder for me. Thank you for asking.

As a footnote, and not to be morbid, but if you have books that you value, new or old, don't let them be auctioned to books-by-the-pound store when you pass on. Make certain they have a good home where they will be appreciated when you pass on, be it a school, university, library, etcetera. I have really learned to appreciate how precious books like this are, and how easily they can be lost to history.

#15 sgottlieb

sgottlieb

Viking 1

• Loc: SF Bay area

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

Is this John Herschel's "Treatise on Astronomy" or "Outlines of Astronomy" or ?

#16 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

Outlines

#17 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

It was a bit of an emotional thing for me, not just seeing, but touching and reading these books that represented points of time in history when our view of the universe changed and became just a bit bigger.

I understand that feeling well. I love going through old books at my nearby university library, especially ones in the rare book collections. I'm not sure what it is either....but its like some direct link to the past. Actually, that's precisely what it is.

#18 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:32 AM

Indeed a superb & significant book :bow:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics