Photo

bagged Rigel but did I really split Sirius?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 phrygiantriplets

phrygiantriplets

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Gainesville, FL

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

Ok, this was just for kicks but I was aware of the timming in 2014 so I gave it a go.

Using a Vixen GP2 mounted C6, from my best dark site I think I bagged the pup on my first try.
I used a 25mm celestron plossl with a 2x explore scientfic barlow. (x125)
Here was my technique: ( I happened to try the right fov edge first) to block out sirius and about a mile away (only know means of comparison was significantly wider than rigel) was an exceedingly faint point of light. Unmistakable when I had the glare knocked down just right keeping my vision towards the middle of the eye piece.
Other extraordinary variables include my 29.5 degree latitude and my corrector plate never fogged up. (first time ever staying dew free) IE low humidity, which is the kiss of death in Gainesville, FL.

Does this all sound legitimate? It was so wide and faint as opposed to obvious splits like algeiba and castor.

What a thrill if I can confirm its angle and seperation. I spent about 15min with it at every concievable angle. The first was close to the best.
Using a SCT, rigels component was seen clearly at 125x, to the right (I used the same technique but didn't have to) and Sirius was seen to the left. Using right fov edge, with both hands on the slow motion control knobs repeated the result over and over.

Tass
:jump:

#2 OrdinaryLight

OrdinaryLight

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:54 PM

Did it look like this? http://www.cloudynig...6410674/page...

That photo helped me to see Sirius's companion for the first time tonight. I was out with my 4" refractor and binoviewer @ ~180x and took a quick look at Rigel, which was easier than the last time I'd viewed it (probably because of the mag).

Not expecting much I went to Sirius. I was shocked to see a faint light that looked similar to that shown in the linked photo. I thought it might be a reflection so I kept moving the star around in the field but it maintained its position relative to the primary star. Then I noticed its brightness would fade and surge with the seeing. I went away and came back multiple times to confirm.

I was surprised at how easy it seemed but I guess the right combination of magnification and seeing can make it easy.

#3 phrygiantriplets

phrygiantriplets

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Gainesville, FL

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

My uncertainty was that it could have been a background star. Dectecting what I saw wasn't the issue. Charts have the b component to the East, it was about an hour past the meridian when I observed it and I blocked Siruis a with the right hand fov edge and saw it to the left.

my question due to inexperience with a Cat, is..was is the b coponent supposed to be to the left of Sirius A?

#4 Ziggy943

Ziggy943

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

Left-right depend on the optical train. Turn the motor off, watch the drift. That will give you east and west.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics