• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cloudking

cloudking

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: DUTCHESS COUNTY, NY USA

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:13 PM

Hello CN been away for a while. briefly I us a edge 11 w/ Hyperstar III on an g11 with a new camera an sx674 trius and am having communication problem with cameras. I use a sx loadstar for guiding with PHD and nebulosity for acquiring images. just got the sx 674 and now when I connect both cameras using 50 foot repeater cables ( 2 ) into my house ( one for loadstar and one for main camera ) my laptop only sees one camera at a time and will image and guide from one or the other. if I connect with the shorter cables supplied at the mount the software recognizes both cameras and asks me to choose. I need advise on controlling from longer distances my other camera is a modified DSLR and I never had this problem before. really need to control cameras from house , very cold in winter and lots of dew and mosquitos in summer. please help :confused:

#2 NOMH

NOMH

Messenger

• -----

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

I just had a problem with a 50' active usb cable not seeing a DMK51 video camera. I tried a Dyconn powered hub and it fixed the problem.

JB

#3 cloudking

cloudking

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: DUTCHESS COUNTY, NY USA

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:37 AM

Hi nomh, I looked at the hub you redommed and just wondered where do you locate it , at the scope or at the laptop. I guess you would put it at the mount and it boosts the signal going into the house? please let me know how you configure yours

#4 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Viking 1

• Loc: O'Fallon, MO

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

Save yourself hassles an buy a cheap, used Dell laptop from eBay and just leave it by the mount. You can then remotely control it from inside wirelesly (or wired).

Dan

#5 NOMH

NOMH

Messenger

• -----

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

I have the powered hub next to the laptop. So it is the laptop, then the powered hub, next is the 50' active cable, and then the video camera. I like this setup for solar as it gets hot here and I don't want the laptop to get cooked. I use the laptop in my observatory to image and control the mount with my solar setup outside of the observatory.

Dan also has a good point with two laptops. I use this setup for night time imaging in my observatory and it works well. I did need to add a wifi signal booster at that side of the house to get a strong signal. Without the strong signal you could run into communication delays between the computers.

JB

#6 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:27 AM

Equipment powered via a USB cable rarely works properly on the end of an active repeater cable. The best solution is to use a powered hub at the mount to provide proper DC power to the device.

If you have a long run from the computer to the mount, an ICRON Ranger USB over Ethernet system will allow up to 300' between the computer and the mount and will maintain USB2 transfer speeds for all devices. It's an expensive solution but works reliably.

Phil

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics