• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 IVM

IVM

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

Recently I made a new and more detailed observation of M106 (probably better termed NGC 4258) with my 12” SCT. The sketch below is oriented approximately with the N up and W to the right. ~125-400x. SQM 21.68.

In the upper right corner of the field (NW) is the Magellanic companion NGC 4248 with a superimposed star and what seems to be a compact mag. 15 HII region. Between the companion and the core of the main galaxy, indicated by a star pair, is a visually detached region, the only visible part of an outer spiral arm. On the opposite side of the main galaxy is a similarly detached arm segment with an enhancement on each end. The central part of M106 is outlined by two bright proximal segments of spiral arms, which were described already by Herschel as “branches”. The brighter one terminates visually in an elongated enhancement. The fainter one contains two compact enhancements. The central core is oriented at an angle to the major axis of the galaxy and contains a relatively sharp nucleus.

Attached Files

#2 Sasa

Sasa

Viking 1

• Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

Nic observation, thanks for sharing. You definitely see a lot of interesting details.

#3 blb

blb

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:21 PM

Wow! Very interesting observation. The description that most often fits my observation goes something like this.

"Bright, very large, nearly stellar core in a high surface brightness oval disk with mottling near core. A large bright knot is at end of the southern arm."

You must really have great skies.

#4 aatt

aatt

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

I was just checking that one out last week.In my 15" and orange skies/poor transparency I was not even able to come close to that kind of detail. Very nice sketch!

#5 IVM

IVM

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

Thank you all for your comments.

You must really have great skies.

Yes - a few times a year ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics