which mount should i get?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 nodalpoint

nodalpoint

Apollo

• Loc: FEMA camp

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

My AVX guides great and it's a fantastic little mount for wide-field photography. If you shoot at a long focal length and overload it, obviously it will be more problematic.

I also have a ZEQ25 for a more portable option and so far haven't found it any easier or worse to guide but can say the AVX is a bit more stable/solid overall, especially when used for visual. The 2" tripod option might change that but it's around $200 added to the base price.

#27 Hestemat

Hestemat

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

I see. What can you picture with these huge focal length?

I like nebulae and galaxies more than planets. Are there many nebulaes small enough to be worth an expensive scope?

#28 terry59

terry59

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

I stand corrected and should choose my words more carefully. However, I stand by my assessment that this type of mount is not a good choice for AP.

Terry,

Do you own a CG-5 or AVX mount and if so have you done AP with it?

Stan

No, I started with a CG-4 and modded the hand controller for AP then got a Sirius.

#29 NewAstronomer

NewAstronomer

Soyuz

• Loc: Northeast, PA U.S.A

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

I started with a SVP that I had to modify (add guide port to HC and disassembled re-greased) then had Atlas later on.

Atlas way better, true, but by no means is AP impossible on a "cheaper" mount. Maybe more difficult yes, not impossible. But a better mount made it way more enjoyable. You would get better results long term too I imagine.

Anyway I gave :cool: it up, no time. Wanted to give OP some color commentary. The AVX looks a hell of a lot better than the used SVP I modded a decade or so ago.

#30 james7ca

james7ca

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

Well, I have both the AT65EDQ and the AVX and use that combination at an image scale of 2.4 arc seconds per pixel (camera is a Sony NEX-5N, 16MP mirrorless APS-C).

My comment on the above combination is that you are more likely to have problems with the AT65EDQ than you are with the AVX. In fact, I can NOT recommend the AT65EDQ for "serious," quality astrophotography.

So, as far as the AVX, in my hands and with my particular sample it can do wide-field astrophotography. You may have some issues with guiding on the declination axis but that would be true with any low-end or mid-range mount. Is the AVX perfect? No, but it's decent given its price and weight.

#31 Hestemat

Hestemat

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:43 AM

Thanks, the price is perfect for me, maybe a little bit too much! I know right! Im poor. The scope in what ive read sounds amazing for the prizerange, and i cant wait to get it! Cant go higher in price so i cant get any better scope either

#32 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:09 AM

James why do you say the AT65edq is not suitable for AP? First time I've heard this...

#33 james7ca

james7ca

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

James why do you say the AT65edq is not suitable for AP? First time I've heard this...

Just Google or search here on CN and you'll find reasons (although I never actually said that it was "not suitable for AP"). Furthermore, I'm not going to suggest that everything you read on the internet is true in the majority or 100% accurate or necessarily the last word on any product. YMMV (as I like to say), but given my experience with two separate samples of the AT65EDQ I can not personally recommend this scope for quality AP.

But, I don't want to highjack this thread into a discussion on the AT65EDQ, so this will be my last word on that subject right here.

#34 Waduino

Waduino

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:53 PM

Did I miss it? And that mount is?
Wad.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics