Photo

ALT-AZ Star Hopping Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cobalt5120

Cobalt5120

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bremen, IN (just south of South Bend)

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

Imagine I want to do the following.

I have an alt-az goto tracking mount and I go through the process of a three star align or whatever process the specific mount has to align itself.

I then do a goto to Sirius.

Question 1: If after all my aligning, Sirius is not "dead center", can I use the manual controls to center the star and then do a "sync" to improve it's knowledge of where it is?

OK, so Sirius is now centered and my journey for the evening is to star hop to the Orion Nebula. So I study my Stellarium display and chart myself a path.

Question 2: If I start slewing away from Sirius using the hand controller, (a little bit of azimuth, a little bit of altitude and so on), will the computer keep track of my coordinates so that it always knows where it is pointing so that it will track it's current location properly?

Question 3: If along the way, I find something interesting but don't know what it is, is there a way to get a read out of the current position in ra/dec (and/or alt az) so that I can note the coordinates and later go to stellarium to see what it was I stumbled across?

Thank you.

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

You don't mention the model of mount you own, so some of your questions are impossble to answer. Likely, however, the long and short of it is that the mount will retain its alignment as long as you don't undo the altitude or azimuth locks. ;)

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

You don't mention the model of mount you own, so some of your questions are impossble to answer. Likely, however, the long and short of it is that the mount will retain its alignment as long as you don't undo the altitude or azimuth locks. ;)

Of course it always possible that Uncle Rod will send some gremlin that loosens the locks while you aren't looking and messes up your alignment...

It seems unlikely but it happens more often than you think. :)

Jon

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

Of course it always possible that Uncle Rod will send some gremlin that loosens the locks while you aren't looking and messes up your alignment...

Hmmmmmmmmm...very perceptive. The Force is unusually strong in you today, my young Padawan Learner! But I promise not to Force choke his scope or use any of those dadgum Jedi mind tricks. :jedi: :lol:

#5 T1R2

T1R2

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

I think you can look in the menu of the hand controller for a *Get Alt/az* or *GoTo alt/az* positions, it might even display them automatically and you will even see them + or - as you slew.

#6 Cobalt5120

Cobalt5120

Mariner 2

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

I don't have an alt-az mount. That's why I'm asking the question, wondering if it indeed operates the way I was hoping, thereby making an alt-az mount a possibilility to help me accomplish my star hopping goals in the future.

#7 T1R2

T1R2

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:27 AM

most GoTo alt/az mounts can be used a couple of ways, either slew the scope manually in which you don't have to align it, just slew left/right up/down to get to the object you want. or align it and select an object you want to view and press enter. it can even store alt az positions of terrestial if you never mover you mount, example: fixed land objects like a lighthouse, that's called "User defined objects" otherwise alt/az celestial positions change by the sec.

yes it will display the Ra/Dec if you ask it to
yes it will display its alt/az position, but its used mostly for land based objects that positions don't change

yes you can goto a selected star and then slew left/right, up/down and it will tell it your current postion when you find something interesting, and if your aligned properly you can press a button and it will tell you what the object is that you found. hope this helps.

#8 Cobalt5120

Cobalt5120

Mariner 2

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:45 AM

T1R2,

Thanks so much.
That did answer my questions.
Appreciate it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics