Starry Night 7 available

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#1 swsantos

swsantos

Mariner 2

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

Got an email about it being available at a 25% discount for current users and it is indeed available on their website.

I wonder if Sky Safari has rubbed off on Starry Night at all? I use Sky Safari all the time and very rarely use Starry Night anymore but I wonder if some of Sky Safari's ease of use and beauty and speed has been incorporated into SN given that they are now both owned by the same company. I also wonder if there is some synergy now between the two programs like shared and mutual observing lists, equipment lists etc.

Can anyone (the Sky Safari guys perhaps) chime in?

Thanks,

#2 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:34 PM

The merger happened much to recently for us to have any effect on Starry Night. They have revamped the user interface and I think it turned out pretty nice.

The plan is to have the development teams stay separate for the near future.

#3 swsantos

swsantos

Mariner 2

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:34 PM

Can Starry Night 7 export Sky Safari observing lists?

#4 Tailwinds

Tailwinds

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:51 AM

I have both Starry Night Pro Plus and Sky Safari Pro on my desktop. I'm currently downloading the SNP 7. It's taken hours so far because of my slow internet.

For me personally, I find that that SNPP is my main Go-To piece of kit when studying our Universe. The amount of highly configurable features on SNPP are immense. Especially when it comes to adding surface images for planets and spacecraft.

SNPP has an Orbit Editor. Therefore, I can add my own celestial objects and spacecraft by using the JPL Horizon website for obtaining the precise up-to-date positional coordinates. I've actually added the SOHO spacecraft centred on the Sun with realistic FOV, I've added both STEREO A and B, spacecraft, also both centred on the Sun. I can now fast forward in time to see what appears in their fields of view. Sky Safari does not give you the freedom to add your own objects or manually update certain objects. Not yet anyway. That may change.

SNPP requires a rather more learning curve for those wishing to delve further into it's capabilities whereas I find that Sky Safari is a more simpler and easier program to use but nowhere near as configurable as the other.

What does the future hold? I wonder if the merger between the two companies will eventually mean merging the two programs into one. I hope they will leave SNPP well alone and keep it separate as a standalone piece of kit.

#5 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

Can Starry Night 7 export Sky Safari observing lists?

No, not currently. We just haven't had time to work on any integrations like this. Good suggestion though.

#6 ChipAtNight

ChipAtNight

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: N.C. (Love the Blue Ridge)

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

Can SNPP connect to and use SkyFi to keep down the wires?

#7 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:49 AM

You can probably do it on Windows using a Virtual Serial Port but I don't think there is a way on Mac.

A future update will build real SkyFi support into SNPP.

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

I am glad to see they are updating the product. Always liked Starry Night. However, considering the competition they have in this price class--The SkyX and SkyTools 3--that's a lot of moola, and I'd have to try before I'd buy. ;)

#9 katjim

katjim

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:26 PM

I downloaded it yesterday and have started playing with it...get ready for a completely overhauled user interface (compared to v6). They've done a bit of a 'Microsoft' and changed a lot of the user interface. Most previous functions seem to be there but it will take time to get used to it. One thing I haven't found yet is the quick change in direction, i.e. being able to click on E, W, N or S to switch to that direction - can only do it by panning with mouse (Maybe I have not found this yet, but it is not obvious and can't find it in the manual yet). This is the only annoying thing I have found so far. Otherwise it is looking OK. I prefer the older program icon too.

Will let you know if I find anything else worth mentioning...

Cheers

#10 ordep

ordep

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:40 PM

You can now change your view to E, W, N or S by pressing those letters in the keyboard. The last two pages of the Manual contain a handy keyboard shortcut reference guide.

#11 katjim

katjim

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

Thanks, I hadn't got to that part of the manual yet - I didn't think they would leave that out :-)

#12 urbanMark

urbanMark

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:47 PM

So is it more stable than pro 6? I really like pro 6 but find it crashes fairly often (Win7 Pro). For that reason I rarely use it when in the field and stick with things like Sky Tools. But for understanding the sky, SN Pro 6 has been great.

Keep the reviews coming. We only have until the 30th to upgrade at the discount.

#13 Ron359

Ron359

Vostok 1

• Loc: -103 +39

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:48 PM

Got an email about it being available at a 25% discount for current users and it is indeed available on their website.

Thanks,

I didn't get an email and don't find it on their website or get any update notice from the SNP update. Can you give me a link?

http://www.starrynig...m/products.html

thanks. Ron

#14 urbanMark

urbanMark

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:05 AM

http://simulationcur...c609eb8b07e5...

#15 katjim

katjim

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:28 AM

I run SN PP v6 (and now v7) on an iMAC (OSX 10.9.2) so cant really comment on the Win 7 version. It has been running fine on the MAC and haven't had it ever crash. Do you have enough RAM on your PC?

After I have had a play with version 7, I will give a brief review, but so far it looks OK.

#16 urbanMark

urbanMark

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:54 AM

16GB RAM. Should be enough :)

Searching the web I see other reports of SN 6 crashing under Win 7. Looks like the graphics engine they used under Win is outdated, so that might be the issue.

I spent some time reading the list of new features, and decided to give it a go. Still downloading over my slow connection. The all sky images should be useful when deciding what to image. They also mention integration with Maxim. Not sure what that is about or if it is useful (I typical write scripts in CCD Commander for Maxim).

23 min of download to go.....

#17 katjim

katjim

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:17 AM

Have fun...I particularly like the Side Pane in this version and the way it is setup with all the controls for each object integrated within...

#18 Ron359

Ron359

Vostok 1

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

http://simulationcur...c609eb8b07e5...

Thanks! Can you copy their list or do you know what telescopes this version supports? If its not quick and easy to do, I'll email them directly. Hopefully their list is greatly expanded.

Ron

#19 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

I just asked the SimCur Starry Night support person. He said the list of scopes supported hasn't changed from SN6.

#20 katjim

katjim

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

Keep in mind there may be some difference between Windows and MAC platforms.

The latest info on telescopes supported is at this link https://support.simu...lescopes-can...

It is a couple of years old, but if v7 scope support is same as v6 then this will be it...

#21 urbanMark

urbanMark

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:45 PM

Scope support is via ASCOM. So if you scope has an ASCOM driver I would imagine it is supported.

#22 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:01 PM

ASCOM is only used on Windows. On Mac, special drivers are written for each supported mount,

#23 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Lewiston, Maine

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

I must say so far I'm not impressed with SN7. I've only managed a few hours on the program and it has crashed ( stopped working several times) I have been exploring the menus and adding to the equipment list ect. The zoom feature seems strange, the image goes through a very pixcilated stage and the DSO images are not as good as SN6 visually it it a big step back from SN6. I hope things improve if they don't I'll be back to using SN6 and will not recommend the upgrade for SN6 users. I want the program to work for me and so far it seems like I'm working for the program.
Be Well
Grey

#24 Tailwinds

Tailwinds

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

Quite frankly, I'm appalled with the current situation of SN Pro Plus 7. The bugs list is alarming for a brand new product that has been rushed through for retail. This is the top-of-the-range package in the line up and very expensive.

Simulation Curriculum Corp had beta testers for this software with a special support forum set up just for the beta testers to report their findings. What happened?? This makes the beta testers look bad considering that they would have been experienced in knowing what to look for.

The bugs were reported during beta testing but were not fixed before being put on the retail market. I have evidence of this because I reported a bug and a beta tester posted a reply saying this had been reported during beta testing.

I only have this product because I had a heavily discounted money off voucher having only recently purchased SN pro Plus 6 a few months before.

At present, SNPP 7 is unusable in it's present state. There is an update due soon however. But we have all ended up being beta testers since general release for the program.

I will continue to use SNPP version 6 for the time being as I have no confidence in SNP 7.

#25 Ron359

Ron359

Vostok 1

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

Quite frankly, I'm appalled with the current situation of SN Pro Plus 7. The bugs list is alarming for a brand new product that has been rushed through for retail. This is the top-of-the-range package in the line up and very expensive.

I will continue to use SNPP version 6 for the time being as I have no confidence in SNP 7.

When issues are posted it would be nice if the OS were mentioned.
Are these issues just in the Win version or both Win and Mac versions? There always seemed to be more problems with the Win version of SN6 than the Mac version.

I know I'm holding off upgrading after reading these reports and that there are no new telescopes added to the scope support feature as SNP 6 continues to run fine on my older Macbook Pro. Ron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics