CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starry Night 7 available

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#226 RandallK

RandallK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:08 PM

I've given up with them on SN7 and have confided in my previous version of SN6.

Randall,

I hope you'll give us another chance. Was there one thing (or a few things) in particular that have put you off of it?

- Dave

David Whipps
Technical Director
Simulation Curriculum Corp.

Hi Dave,
I had removed SN7 and tried to install the latest Beta. I noticed I had no Add/Remove listing of SN7 (or 6 for that matter) in Windows 7's ADD/REMOVE programs. All my other installed programs are listed.
When I went to install the newest SN7 Beta (I forget the release number), it told me that there was another version of SN7 already installed and that I had to remove it. Well...it wasn't in add/remove programs.
I asked Zheng to help with the removal but no luck. I had tried to remove it manually from both the registry and from Program files x86 directoy. I had no luck again at the install. It would get to the end of the green progress installation bar and tell me that another version of SN7 already existed. Obviously their is still something floating around in the registry with the previously installed version of SN7. I would think that the SN7 devolpment team would implement a user friendly uninstaller so that SN versions could be removed and re-installed with relative ease.

Randall,

I'm really sorry to hear you've had so much trouble. In general, the installers have worked well for our users, and we've made some real improvements to the Windows installers in the last little while, but there were some rough edges around the (Beta) installers early on. Please email me at dwhipps@simcur.com and we'll get it sorted out for you, one way or another.

- Dave

David Whipps
Technical Director
Simulation Curriculum Corp.

Dave, it is more the question of an UN-Installer for SN7...not the installer. The installer seems to work fine. It detects a previous version of SN7 (That I tried to remove via the registry) but obviously something is still there. Someone at Simulation Cirriculum wanted to link directly to my machine but I really don't want to do that. I have UltraVNC but the new JAVA update will not allow to connect to my machine overt the internet. It brings up my desktop machine IP address when starting to connect from my laptop over the internet but then comes up with a JAVA invalid certificate warning not allowing me in. Perhaps because of my http address not being a secured site of https. So that means installing the other TNC program...Team Viewer, but I don't want to have two TNC programs on my machine. I even tried putting in the http address in JAVA to allow connection but it still came up with invalid certificate.

Edited by RandallK, 09 February 2015 - 06:07 PM.

#227 Martin Bonadio

Martin Bonadio

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:02 PM

I've been out of the hobby for several years with small kid duties... Just picked up a new 14.5" scope and decided I needed to upgrade to some newer charting/planning software.

I own SN6 and was disappointed that the upgrade to 7 pro is $89 bucks. I can get a brand new copy of ST3 for that same money. 

Given all the reported issues here, I think I will be better off served by ST3 for planning and charting and eyepiece views and such..

Although I've used SN in the past for fun and enjoyment along side printed charts and charting tools I can't justify that kind of an upgrade price. Too bad there wasn't a discount or something - otherwise I'd probably grab both.

Cheers,

Martin

• jackofalltrades likes this

#228 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:17 AM

I use both ST3 (the professional version, which is more than 89 dollars) and Starry Night Pro Plus. They complement each other well. That said, I am using version 6.0 of SNPP. I've yet to find a compelling reason to pay anything for an upgrade to 7. Maybe I'm missing something, but its new features seem rather superfluous ("fly through space," etc., etc.)...am I missing something Starry Night folks?

#229 Martin Bonadio

Martin Bonadio

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:14 PM

Interesting - does SNPP 6 still run OK on Windows 8.1? I haven't tried loading it on my new computer, and haven't used it for about a year or so - but still have the software.... 

I did find my old ST2 disk so an upgrade to ST3 is pretty reasonable too. I'm like you Ron - maybe both do compliment each other!!! 

Thanks for the input!

#230 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:38 PM

I am not running SN on Win 8, but I'm told it works fine. The only OS I -know- it won't run on is Vista. ;)

#231 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Vanguard

• Loc: 16 miles south of the Buckfield Mall

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:43 PM

Interesting - does SNPP 6 still run OK on Windows 8.1? I haven't tried loading it on my new computer, and haven't used it for about a year or so - but still have the software.... 

I did find my old ST2 disk so an upgrade to ST3 is pretty reasonable too. I'm like you Ron - maybe both do compliment each other!!! 

Thanks for the input!

SNPP 6.043  runs just fine on my W8.1 machine and I choose to use it rather than SNPP v7.1.2.337 that I also have installed on my W8.1 machine when I am in the observatory. I have little or no interest in the special graphics or movie making capabilities of SNPP V7. and the constant streaming of images, that should be in the program, is distracting to say the least and slows the program down while streaming is in progress. I wanted to use V7 for logging  but that feature is still pending in the next major update. The log feature in SNPP v6 is very basic. The manual in V7 has not been updated from the original and is way out of date I hope that becomes a priority once the latest update is released.

Grey

• firstmagnitude and jackofalltrades like this

#232 firstmagnitude

firstmagnitude

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Clarksville, TN

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:37 PM

Someone asked, on Starry Night Pro website, why the NSEW buttons were not found in SNP 7 any more (toolbar). The first response was it was still the same as 6. The second response was use the keys. The third response was that he was confused with no further response.

I too have emailed and sent in a trouble ticket in December and January with no response (as of this date). Of course, I have received several emails to upgrade to Plus this year. However, I did get one response last month with no questions answered.

I have been using Starry Night Pro 7 for half a year now, but nine times out of ten, I return to SNP 6. I hate to say this, but this software still feels and acts like it is in the beta stage. And why was the interface changed?

I have used SNP since it was a shareware, and it became a part of me over the past twenty years (I liked it). Being told "you can get a refund" is not the answer I am expecting when I am seeking a solution to a problem in regards to a software I used to love!

Edited by firstmagnitude, 01 March 2015 - 10:19 PM.

#233 jackofalltrades

jackofalltrades

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: "Flyover country"

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:48 AM

From what I've seen of SN7P so far compared to all the previous versions I used, also since the very beginning, it really feels to me like they have abandoned the amateur astronomical community in favor of the educational community.  This thing feels more and more like a teaching aid for middle and high school, albeit an excessively expensive teaching aid (if this is what our schools are buying, no wonder...well...never mind).  And talk about a bloated feel; even compared to V6 which I thought was getting way too bloated, slow and crash prone, this version is far worse.  At present it's certainly not something I'd want to use at the scope, let alone something I'd want to transfer all my SkyTools logs over to.

Speaking of transferring my logs, when are we going to see the long promised and way overdue update with the logging feature? Just out there over the horizon?  Like an event horizon?  You can't tell me it's that hard to implement.  And like you say the interface - YUCK!  Building and finding one's custom observing lists are not an easy thing to do, certainly not as easy and direct a route to jump to like in V4, V5 and V6.  What a mess.

I don't know that I'm going to ask for a refund; I'll keep it and see how it goes.  But it's certainly not going to be replacing anything else I have, especially SkyTools.  I'll just say once again that I hope Simulation Curriculum doesn't drive SkySafari down the same road.

• firstmagnitude likes this

#234 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:49 AM

I have pro-4 on my I pad and love it, very very simple to use... All I wanted to do was put 4 on my Windows 7,,, well that was not happening, so had to "upgrade" Wanted version 6 but was not available, so got 7 enthusiast,,, went to tie into my mount and ,,, does not support telescope control, LOL......... So went to pro-7 and just trying to learn it.. Am really new to it and from version 4 to this version is a bigggggg leap... Am watyching this thread with interest,
Kasey

#235 Martin Bonadio

Martin Bonadio

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:24 AM

So I couldn't find the media for my v6 version for the PC - but did find the Mac version (which I used for a while). Fortunately I found the original email with my license keys and there were download links in that for the software which actually still worked 2+ years old! I downloaded the PC version and installed it on my Windows 8 laptop - it works perfectly fine. 

Now I remember why I had purchased both SN6 for planetarium purposes and ST2 for planning. So feeling good about the planetarium side of things based on v7 mixed results and the fact that v6 still works fine for me, I pulled the trigger on Skytools 3 Pro upgrade last night. After getting it installed I can honestly say that I never really appreciated the power of this software, but when approach from an observing perspective it really does a nice job helping me decide what to view and when to view it and how to find it. My biggest problem - now I have 20th magnitude stars to contend with. No observing I ever get to do even in dark AZ skies ever produces that - haha. But man, it's so amazing to see in the computer. Kudos to ST3! 

One problem that I have run into with ST3 is after downloading DSS images and selecting to view them on the interactive charts ... they don't display correctly over the low res images - seem to be behind them. So I have to play some more. But I digress since this is a SN Pro 7 thread! 

At some point I'll upgrade SN too, but not yet. I am sure they will work out the bugs and offer me a nice discount to entice me.  Surprised how well v6 runs on Windows 8 on my budget Toshiba laptop. Amazing that I can spend $200 for a unit that works perfectly for my astronomy work. Years ago I spent over $3k just to tinker with CCD imaging! That project failed BTW! .... 

Clear skies!

#236 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:57 AM

Someone asked, on Starry Night Pro website, why the NSEW buttons were not found in SNP 7 any more (toolbar). The first response was it was still the same as 6. The second response was use the keys. The third response was that he was confused with no further response.

Lack of N, S, E, W buttons would be a deal-breaker for me. ;)

#237 firstmagnitude

firstmagnitude

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:25 AM

I nagged about the April 4th total lunar eclipse since last fall (because SNP 7 listed it as a partial). Dave wrote about my constant complaints on the Starry Night forum. In the last update in December, if you saw the name Larry in the update window, that was me. Although the text in SNP 7 now says there is a total eclipse of the Moon for April 4th, the rendering of the eclipse still shows a partial. It’s not as bad as before the update, but again, it is still not correct.

#238 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:18 AM

A question on the side pane

How does one go back and forward when using the side pane?  I have looked for arrows, users manual, help, etc but am drawing a blank..  The only way I can get it to lets say go back to previous pane is to delete anything I have typed in the search bar,,,  Where are the forward and back arrows???

Thank you, Kasey

PS am using Win 7 Pro version 64 bit

Edited by dragonslayer1, 03 March 2015 - 09:18 AM.

#239 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:14 PM

Kasey,

There are forwards and back buttons at the top when using the SkyGuide.  

For the other views I don't think there is more that one level so no navigation is really needed.  Just clear the search field at the top of the panel and yo will be returned to the top level.

#240 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:54 PM

Hey Bill,

Was able to test it again and yes, arrows only work with Sky guide.....  Is kind of a pain using fingerpad or mouse having to move back to heading and erase to get back,, may be you could put that in a fix,,, someway to use back and fwd arrows when using the Side Pane,

Thank you,

Kasey

#241 RandallK

RandallK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:06 PM

Hopeless...

• firstmagnitude likes this

#242 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:32 PM

What is in the top left corner in SN 6?  I believe the only place there were navigation arrows in SN 6 was when you were showing the SkyGuide.  This still exists in the SkyGuide in SN 7.  As far as I know there is no loss of functionality.

After re-reading his post, I think Kasey is looking for a keyboard shortcut to clear the Search field and return to the default Search panel.  I've asked Dave if there is one.  The best I've come up with is a Cmd-F (on Mac) to select the search field text and then hit Delete.  That doesn't seem too onerous.

#243 firstmagnitude

firstmagnitude

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:32 AM

same o' same o'...

#244 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:06 AM

Am using windows 7 64 bit,, arrows would be nice, either on the screen or keyboard to move backwards or forwards when working in Sky Guide, ie lists etc.. ... With the system now (as I understand it) you go into Sky Guide and work to what tier you want, then to back up you highlight the heading bar via mouse or fingerpad, hit back space or delete, then are back to square one??  Then start again to get where you want, retype heading you want then work into tier you want??  There is no way to go back to prior step?? Just making sure am not missing something,

Kasey

#245 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:00 PM

Kasey,

You should be able to navigate within the SkyGuide by using Ctrl-LeftArrow and Ctrl-RightArrow.  This only works in SkyGuide.  To clear a search and return to the default screen in the right panel you can type Ctrl-F to select the search text and then Delete.

Note: I've only tested this on a Mac using Cmd rather than Ctrl.  I'm assuming it works the same on Windows.

#246 firstmagnitude

firstmagnitude

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:31 PM

I resolved my problem...I deleted Starry Night Pro 7. I am tired of all the stupid excuses. The software is crap, and I have better things to do than typing about what is wrong with it. I am already feel better!

#247 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 11:03 AM

Tested last night

What I found was
#1- when have messier objects in side pane and click on one and click info, it has about ev erything xcept the MAGNITUDE..... Also the info block that comes up only has about 1/4 of the picture of what the object looks like (its like its cut off or not enough space
given to display it)
#2- is there a list anywhere of like "tonights best" (as in version 4),, Something very sim ple and say bare bones.. I don't have it right in front of me but working from memory i t seemed like it was broken down into all different catagories on the Sky Guide side pa ne.... (I so wish I could have insatalled my SS Pro 4 on my Win 7 laptop LOL) Can I tra de this in for simpler version ) :(
#3- this may be my scope or ASCOM but last night OAT was facing east and directed it to M- 42 and rather than meridian flip it tried to GO/TO it without flip and needles to say d id not work.. I directed it to park, then another West target then to M-42 and it staye d on the right meridian when already there (did not try to flip back to wrong one) Am us ing a CGEM and WIN 7 Pro 64 bit,,, was with Star Sense Handset
#4-This may already be addressed but at times the side pane goes off like a strobe light fl ashing like crazy when trying to type something for search,
Thank you, Kasey

EDIT: tested Messier objects again and this time magnitude showed at the bottom of "show info block"  Last night  when scrolling down to other data for some reason magnitude was not showing,, But picture at the top showing the object is still cut off

Edited by dragonslayer1, Yesterday, 11:47 AM.

#248 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 11:06 AM

I apoligize for the way the post came out, words with spaces etc, when typing it prior to post it all looked good, LOL,
Kasey

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics