Starry Night 7 available

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#51 Tailwinds

Tailwinds

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

Don't worry. There are other bugs in there too. You just haven't found them yet. I don't think the databases are updating because Ceres and Vesta are not where they're supposed to be at the moment. Roll on 7.0.2 update and lets get this thing on the road. I'm having to continue relying on my SNPP 6 till all this gets sorted.

#52 RandallK

RandallK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

I've reported many glitches that are still unresolved. The stars in the all-sky image looks like cotton balls when zoomed in, you cannot delete sample equipment, you cannot define custom colors for labeling, the CCD FOV rectangle cannot be spun around with the mouse for framing your image. All these worked fine in SN6 and I have made these requests 5 times now and still no resolve. This program should have been tested "in house" a heck of a lot more, rather than the "team" going out and asking their beta testers (me included) to do most of the work. In my opinion, it shouldn't even be on the "retail shelf" yet. We're now on beta 7...110 and still a long way to go.

#53 RandallK

RandallK

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

Starry Night 7 is looking and acting better. There are still issues but the camera f.o.v. rectangle can now be rotated with the mouse. I still am preferring SN6 but I'll give SN7 a chance. I hope things are fixed up in the next few months.

#54 4wheelcycle

4wheelcycle

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

SN7 Pro Plus seems to be working fine for me, in version 7.0.2.116 on my iMac with OS 10.9.2. I have two Favorites saved - one is my Home View, right long/lat, etc., and the other is my home view modified to show my routine polar alignment view, with left right screen reversal, NCP centered on the FOV for my 32mm Plossl, and the star magnitudes adjusted for the 19x star field I see from my deck.

The only problem is that my 4" refractor easily splits Polaris B from Polaris at 19x, which helps point the way to the NCP, and SN7 does not begin to separate B from Polaris in a 5 x 2 degree window.

I still can't select the panorama I want in the location window (I can only get the default panorama), but in the Options, Other Options, Local Horizon pane I can set the default panorama to whichever one I want. Once I Save Current Options As Default and set that panorama in my Favorites it sticks each time I re-open SN7.

I am definitely able to delete all of the sample equipment and have it stay deleted when I re-open SN7.

I always keep the AllSky Image turned off - I like to adjust my own stars and deep sky objects. I don't know how big it is, but I'd prefer to not even load it, or remove it, if SN7 gave that option. I can't find it anywhere in the SN7 support files, so it must be buried in the main application.

#55 caheaton

caheaton

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

The problem I reported with the CCD image returning after changing the zoom is still there even after this last update.

#56 NGC007

NGC007

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: England

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

I purchased and downloaded Starry Night 7 pro plus last night. I feel absolutely ripped off! I am too angry to rationally explain why just now but when I'm feeling less mugged I will produce a long list of reasons.

#57 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Lewiston, Maine

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:13 PM

[quote name="NGC007"]I purchased and downloaded Starry Night 7 pro plus last night. I feel absolutely ripped off! I am too angry to rationally explain why just now but when I'm feeling less mugged I will produce a long list of reasons. [/quote.

I feel your pain. Had you been following the discussion here the last few weeks? It has been pretty obvious to many that SN7 was released without proper testing and once released end users were expected to trouble shoot the work half done by the SN 7 staff. The last couple of updates have improved the stability issues but to much effort is being placed on the eye candy it does not seem to be geared for use by observers but rather by educators creating presentations for classes or outreach events. For me SN 7 Pro was purchased as an update for SN 6Pro for use in planning observing and AP sessions and hopefully logging. Unless you can understand the programming jargon and feel comfortable playing with files and folders little has been said or attention given to us end users other than wait for the next update.I wonder if the positions were reversed and we had downloaded the program but did not send the money if they would be as willing and happy to wait until the end of the week to get the next partial payment? I will never purchase another "New" update from SN 7 P. I'm to old for this kind of frustration.
Be Well
Grey

#58 NGC007

NGC007

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:12 AM

Hi Grey,

I have emailed them asking for a refund. I'm so disappointed in them I feel scammed.

#59 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:53 AM

Please keep us posted on their response. I haven't seen any indications that they take the situation they placed the people that simply wanted a program that was capable of performing as advertised in. Is it unreasonable to expect that? Would you want the surgeon to hand you the knife when you entered the operating room?
Be Well
Grey

#60 thatpluginsguy

thatpluginsguy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:01 PM

Hi everyone,

This is Marko from Starry Night. I wanted to assure you all that developers are keeping close watch on the issues that we still hear about and are working on the next update. Our beta testing is alive and well and we are fixing bugs as we speak.

Our beta testing channel continues to be extremely important since the feedback on our fixes comes through this way before any updates are actually released to the public. We are currently revamping the system so that we can use it across all Starry Night SKUs.

From the beginning, Version 7 lifecycle has been designed with very agile and very responsive development in mind. We build, we listen and we adjust. Our beta program is there to catch problems before they get to the public but the complexity of Starry Night, big changes in version 7 and sheer variety and number of platforms that the software runs on, unfortunately, often ends up in issues leaking out to the public. We really don't want this to happen and try very hard to make every Starry Night user happy. We are here for the long haul and committed to giving you all what you came here for.

If you are curious about Beta program itself and what takes to get nightly builds out take a look at my post regarding the underlying technology: https://support.simu...ment-and-Bet...

Clear skies and sincere thanks for sticking with us through thick and thin,
Marko

#61 NGC007

NGC007

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:05 AM

Quote "Our beta testing channel continues to be extremely important since the feedback on our fixes comes through this way before any updates are actually released to the public."

YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE PROMISED SO MUCH IN THE EMAILS YOU SENT ME AND THE TOOK ALL MY MONEY FOR A HALF WRITTEN PIECE OF RUBBISH! I HAVE NEVER RESPONDED LIKE THIS ON STARRY NIGHT BEFORE BUT YOU REFUSE TO RESPOND TO MY EMAIL REQUESTING A REFUND! Sorry guys if you think I am overacting but this software when compared to SN6 seem like a quick way to make a fast buck. You should feel asamed of yourselves.

#62 gary-sue69

gary-sue69

Messenger

• Loc: Maybee MI.

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:02 AM

Quote "Our beta testing channel continues to be extremely important since the feedback on our fixes comes through this way before any updates are actually released to the public."

YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE PROMISED SO MUCH IN THE EMAILS YOU SENT ME AND THE TOOK ALL MY MONEY FOR A HALF WRITTEN PIECE OF RUBBISH! I HAVE NEVER RESPONDED LIKE THIS ON STARRY NIGHT BEFORE BUT YOU REFUSE TO RESPOND TO MY EMAIL REQUESTING A REFUND! Sorry guys if you think I am overacting but this software when compared to SN6 seem like a quick way to make a fast buck. You should feel asamed of yourselves.

I agree with you. when I bought the Meade LX800. Meade gave me a choice money back or wait for fixes. they even paid for shipping. :question:

#63 gary-sue69

gary-sue69

Messenger

• Loc: Maybee MI.

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:11 AM

I would like to add that. I bought the LX850 because I like the product and they fixed what was wrong. they took care of their customers. ;)

#64 QK1

QK1

Vendor- Simulation Curriculum

• -----

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:14 AM

Hi Clem,

I'm sincerely sorry about the slow reply to your query. We are listening. I have emailed you and look forward to resolving this for you.

Kind regards,

Keiron Smith

#65 caheaton

caheaton

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:13 PM

I discovered a couple of more bugs tonight (and the latest update did not fix my earlier reported issues). Exporting an observing list to a text file doesn't work...no file is created. Also, when using the Skyguide, if you click on a star that's a variable star, it causes all variable stars to be displayed. You have to go into the Labels menu and uncheck it for them to turn off again.

I have the feeling this product was indeed released WAY too early. It behaves more like alpha software (let alone beta) and definitely is not a finished product. The vendor keeps stressing that it's a complicated product that was a complete rewrite. Fine, but that still doesn't mean a software company should release unfinished product to market. A bug here and there is to be expected (just look at Microsoft), but the bugs in this product are rampant. Still, if they do eventually get around to fixing them all (or at least 99% of them) it will be a decent product.

#66 RandallK

RandallK

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

I agree. It still might be a decent product. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

#67 Takashi

Takashi

Mariner 2

• Loc: Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

When trying to order the product here:
http://www.starrynig...lus7/index.html

It says "25% OFF for a limited time!" ($187.46), but when I add it to the cart it's $249.95... offer not valid anymore?

#68 caheaton

caheaton

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

Emails I received from them indicated the 25% off was through the end of April.

#69 NGC007

NGC007

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:20 AM

Following fruitful email correspondence with Keiron I have decided to re install SN7 and provide some useful (I hope) feedback that may help enable the team to deliver the product they were hoping to deliver from the start. I know many others here are doing the same and with luck I will be able to uninstall SN6 and move on with a much better product.

Clem

#70 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:36 PM

Clem
I'm glad you were able to come to a mutually satisfactory solution with the folks at SN7P. I will be keeping SN6P installed on my computers until I feel SN7P is a stable program that at least equals SN6P for use in the observatory. I think it will be a while since much of their effort is going on in areas that hold little or no interest to me, I'm sure that as the program matures I will be able to pare the parts that do not meet my needs and end up with a more comfortable fit between what I need and what they think I need for a planetarium program in an observatory. I can't say I would be as calm if I had payed the $249. they are asking for the program now.
Keep us posted on your journey through the SN7P universe we have embarked on.
Be Well
Grey

#71 NGC007

NGC007

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:29 PM

Watch this space Grey.

#72 Tailwinds

Tailwinds

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:07 PM

I too am keeping (and still relying on), SNP 6.4.3 until SNP7 becomes a more reliable product. Like Greyhaven says above, I don't think I would be quite as calm either if it weren't for the fact I got a generous discount. If I had paid the full price I would have asked for refund, make no mistake!

Manufacturers of Cars, white Goods, Electrical Goods etc have to adhere to laws for the protection of the consumer relating to products (and Services), not fit for their intended purpose and must correspond to the description of the item sold yet I feel that in the world of software, developers get away with it by simply calling them bugs and issuing updates piecemeal meaning the paying public has to put up with an unfinished product for some considerable time. In the meantime, the software companies have already got your money.

#73 jonbosley

jonbosley

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

I must admit I am impressed with the support the vendor is showing on this site, so I will be upgrading as I have faith that this will be will worth it in the longer run. I remember when Sky X came out and even a year later people were rolling back to early versions as something new became broke with the latest update. It seems a symptom of the times as software and hardware grow evermore powerful and complicated making support and dedication to the product vital. I no longer enjoy beta testing and as a rule I avoid new software for at least a year from issue date. I am going to make an exception as SN6 has always been my fav, I hope I do not regret it!

#74 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:01 PM

Good Luck, Since you have SN6 you will have a fine program to use in the interim.
Be Well
Grey

#75 RandallK

RandallK

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:31 AM

They keep sending me updates, and still the bugs I've pointed out still exist from over a couple of months now. Like the spelling of Bootes...It still shows as Bo7tes. You still cannot pick your custom colours for labeling. Try changing the Messier Objects to Orange...you can't do it. You can in SN6. Little things like that are peeving me off. They send me a "How are we doing report" and I keep saying...BAD!! The other part of SN6 that is not in SN7 are the Solar and Aurora sites. I always checked Solar conditions (for imaging) via SN6. That feature has disappeared too. (That is, the LIVE SKY Tab on the left panel). Every time they send me a revision, I check these items and if they aren't there, I close the program until the next release. I can't be bothered to look at it. It just gets me more upset. So SN6 remains the stalwart.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics