• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#101 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Lewiston, Maine

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:30 AM

I just updated and it seems like the time has to be reset to DST each time I start the program. Oh well, why should I be surprised?
Be Well
Grey

#102 pjglad

pjglad

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:35 AM

I have the same issue plus when I click now it reverts to standard time.

#103 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:59 AM

Yep, one step forward, one step sideways, welcome to the SN7 two step. And still no log capabilities.
Be Well
Grey

#104 Tailwinds

Tailwinds

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:20 PM

A fix has already been sorted for Mac Users who experience SN7 7.04 crashing when trying to exit the program and will be sorted in 7.05. Now reports are coming in of DST not being saved. I too am having that problem. I'm glad to see that the planet magnifier sliders made it back into the program with 7.04. However, you have to hover your mouse to the right hand side of the menu of your planets list to reveal the slider because they are invisible otherwise.

#105 thatpluginsguy

thatpluginsguy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

Apologies for the missteps. 7.0.5 update is now live and addresses the three new issues introduced with 7.0.4.

7.0.5 Release Notes:

- Fixed OSX application hang showing Save dialog.
- Fixed incorrect extension search when opening or saving SNF files on Windows.
- Fixed an issue with DST setting not persisting

Marko

#106 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:40 AM

Are there any nightly tour scripts or options on the Starry Night software, perhaps with a Dave Brody voice over...

#107 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:19 PM

Updates are resolving my concerns. I have entered three lists for three constellations for the Herschel and NGC items I want to observe and sketch. They are holding and today if I have time I will see how printing the finder charts go. I am hoping I can have each of the objects listed on my finder chart.

#108 caheaton

caheaton

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

The program is improving, but I have another bug to report. If you set your view to any type of flipped (horizontal, etc) and then drag the screen a bit, the flipped view will switch off and revert to normal. A bit annoying when zoomed in using the FOV circles. Discovered this while trying to identify a UGO* based upon a sketch made while at the eyepiece.

* Unidentified Globular Object ;)
It turned out to be NGC 6388...

#109 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:41 PM

Craig,

Please report the bug here:

https://support.simu...us_requests/new

so we can look at it.

#110 firstmagnitude

firstmagnitude

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Clarksville, TN

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

I am hesitant to purchase SNP 7 based on what I have read in this forum. I have used SN since its shareware days. Is there any compelling reason to buy SNP 7?

#111 caheaton

caheaton

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

Don't be scared by all the bug reports. The program in its current version has some bugs, but I still find it quite usable. I especially like using it as a way to identify a target which I observed but was unidentified during my observing session (I make a note of where I'm pointed and draw a rough sketch of what I see in the FOV and then compare it to the view through SN7. It helps that I can set the correct size circle and flip the image to match the orientation in the scope).

I also use Stellarium, but like SN7 for the quick access to information about DSO's and prefer SN7's interface. If you purchase, I'm not sure the progam is (yet) worth paying full price, but if you can purchase at a discount or purchase as an upgrade it's not a bad deal. I paid 80 something for my copy.

#112 firstmagnitude

firstmagnitude

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Clarksville, TN

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:42 PM

Thanks caheaton! They have a sale right now for 69 dollars for an upgrade which ends on the 21st. I guess I will buy it,

#113 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:40 AM

Grey,

Thanks! We really want the new logging feature to be great, and so are taking a bit more time with it than people might like. I'm sorry for that.

If you have a suggestion for this (or any other feature) I'd love to hear it. You can send me a PM or submit a ticket to our support site.

- Dave

Well, it looks like the log feature is not as much of a priority as I had hoped. It has been more than 2 months on this project that was listed as a feature in V7. Are you still working on it, or has it fallen by the wayside?

Grey

#114 thatpluginsguy

thatpluginsguy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

Hi Grey,

Just like you we'd love to see the logging feature in SN7 ASAP! As Dave has mentioned, it is taking longer than any of us would like it too but we really want to get it right and welcome suggestions on our refresh of this feature.

In short: it is coming; we could really use community's suggestions for it; the release date is yet TBD.

- Marko

#115 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

Some suggestions:

1. For me the constellation stick figures are much too bright. I would like to see a slider to adjust this unless there is some other way to do it.

2. I would like to see an option to disable the Hipparcos and Tycho star labels. They can overwhelm the chart at times. I have tried using the slider but I still see more than I would like without starting to drop Bayer/Flamsteed labels.

3. A minor comment. Do not make the print "Full Sky" chart the default option.

I have experienced one crash so far when trying to print a sky chart.

#116 obrazell

obrazell

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

is 7.0.6 due shortly?

Owen

#117 caheaton

caheaton

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

Mine crashed too following the printing of a star chart...I've only printed once though so I can't say if it happens regularly (though at least the chart printed successfully first).

#118 NGC007

NGC007

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: England

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:20 AM

Some suggestions:

1. For me the constellation stick figures are much too bright. I would like to see a slider to adjust this unless there is some other way to do it.

You can adjust the brightness of the stick figures. Go to View/Constellations/Constellation Options

#119 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:07 AM

< You can adjust the brightness of the stick figures. Go to View/Constellations/Constellation Options >

That is the "Thickness" option. It does help a little, but I would rather see an additional "Brightness" option.

Although when I start SN7 the constellation settings are what I saved, if I go to the Constellation Options, it automatically reverts back to "Kind" > "Asterisms" instead of leaving it as what I had changed it to ("Kind" > "Astronomical").

Another question, why are the Constellation Options under the "View" menu instead of under "Options" menu? It is a little confusing.

JohnD

#120 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:09 AM

Chart print crashed again. A report was sent in. I was trying to print the area around Comet Jacques. The printout was sent to the printer before the crash, but no comet was on the printout.

JohnD

#121 thatpluginsguy

thatpluginsguy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

Starry Night 7.0.7 has just been released!

7.0.7 Release Notes

- Constellations results now show on search by name or "Constellations."
- All-Sky layer options now save/restore properly.
- Messier, Bright NGC and other image layers save/restore properly with All-Sky enabled.
- Fixed Advanced Find results not showing immediately.
- Enter/Return no longer cancels a search in progress.
- Selection labels now avoid each other. Dim on mouse out.
- Fixed Equipment List (Telescopes) show/hide problem.
- Fixed Flip Horizontal/Vertical.
- Fixed Crash On Print
- Fixed Crash when trying to display certain 3D models.
- Fixed Overlapping Selection Labels (now only show on mouse over.)
- Incorrect HUD info no longer showing while AllSky is on.
- Fixed Constellation Select Cursor (OSX)
- Printing, enlarged symbol legend.
- Clicking "UT" in toolbar no longer changes am/pm time.
- Star colours, size and drawing improved.
- FOVs, telescopes can now use different barlows/reducers with scope/eyepiece.
- Win32 equipment and other list browser column widths properly update.
- Exoplanets database added to Advanced Search.
- Removed double "Orbiting Objects" items in Advanced Search.

#122 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:10 AM

1. OK, the printing crashing seems to be fixed. But it is still not printing a comet indicator even when the comet has been selected and centered and even appears in the legend.

2. Is there a way of turning off the large ring around variable stars appearing in the star chart? This makes these stars look abnormallly large and thus determining star magnitudes for these difficult.

3. It appears that the print legend for Globular Clusters and Variable Stars are identical. I see no difference in the size of the Symbol Legend as the fix suggests.

Edit:

4. If I have the chart flipped horizontally and choose a 1-pane print, the printout comes out unflipped. The 3-pane option has flipping options but not the 1-pane.

Thanks,

JohnD

Edited by johnpd, 07 August 2014 - 01:48 AM.

#123 caheaton

caheaton

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:22 PM

7.07 allegedly fixes problems with Advanced Find, but I just tried doing a few searches (including an obvious one like any open star cluster in Cygnus) and no list appears...I assume it should appear in the right hand pane, but nada...nothing.  I seem to remember it worked in an earlier update.

Craig

(using the Windows version installed on Windows 7 x64)

#124 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:20 AM

1. I tried contacting Starry Night 3 years ago for info and a demo and the owner or some weird guy in there gave a really terrible and very unprofessional reply.

2. I don't buy any software unless I try it first.

3. Stellarium is the most user friendly astronomy software I know and I would pay for it because I've tried it and it works great.

4. I had a sample of starry night 4 I believe come with a telescope I bought and it did not seem as useful as stellarium so I cant throw money at starry night 7 if I cant try it.

5. And yes, the view from other planets is not very helpful.

Good luck.

Edited by NorthWolf, 04 September 2014 - 08:22 AM.

#125 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

1. I tried contacting Starry Night 3 years ago for info and a demo and the owner or some weird guy in there gave a really terrible and very unprofessional reply.

2. I don't buy any software unless I try it first.

3. Stellarium is the most user friendly astronomy software I know and I would pay for it because I've tried it and it works great.

4. I had a sample of starry night 4 I believe come with a telescope I bought and it did not seem as useful as stellarium so I cant throw money at starry night 7 if I cant try it.

5. And yes, the view from other planets is not very helpful.

Good luck.

And your point is? 

Grey

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics