Photo

Starry Night 7 available

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#126 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:34 PM

I think his point is that he'd like a demo version of Starry Night 7 which, in light of recent events, might not be a bad idea. I know I am sitting on the fence concerning this software, though I am in the process of or at least considering upgrading to a more modern planetarium than the ones I am using now. ;)

#127 QK1

QK1

Vendor- Simulation Curriculum

• -----

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:34 PM

Hi NorthWolf,

We came across your posting and thought we should respond.  It is understandable that you would like to try a demo version before purchasing. We still do not have a demo version of Starry Night available.  We are an established brand name with a stellar reputation in the industry.  Our millions (perhaps tens of millions) of customers are professional and amateur astronomers, everyday consumers and enthusiasts, teachers and professors.  We have been around for almost two decades.

We recently released Starry Night v7 - which is light years ahead of v4 (circa 2000) in terms of features, functionality, and user experience. The release of v7 has been a success in large part due to the untiring efforts of the many members of the Cloudy Night community that have been working very closely with our developers, through our v7 beta program, to ensure an outstanding user experience. 

In addition, we have a 95% customer service rating.  Everyone is invited to submit feedback on our support website.  We attend to all inquires and technically support our program completely. 

While Stellarium is good and free, it really is not in the same league as Starry Night 7 in terms of graphics, features, benefits, functionality, continuing development, and technical support.  Think of Stellarium as a mere introduction to the ultimate interactive astronomy experience that Starry Night 7 delivers.

#128 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Lewiston, Maine

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:21 PM

I've had the package installed since it was available early last spring and I'm still on the fence as to it being worth the price of admission Uncle Rod. The new SNP7 does not seem aimed at the needs of amateur astronomers looking for a program to assist their observations. The focus of the developers seems to be toward creating a program for developing astronomical presentations possibly for the classroom use or outreach. If you’re not into that type of work there may be older versions of SN that will be better than the current SNP7 for some people. I have and use SNP V6.43 and find that it is more observatory friendly and no streaming downloads for images that are of objects that were already in earlier versions. If there had been a free trial I know I would not have bothered with the "upgrade" It still lacks items that were in older versions and if you want the complete image file they are available but require more than a "plug and play" installation.  As for the free trial complaint, in this case, would have not worked because this program was not ready for prime time and would not have stimulated sales. There have been many complaints in this thread about the problems so it should not come as a surprise to anyone researching SNP7. The company offers a money back guarantee so they will take care of their customers.
Grey

#129 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:40 PM

My point is what I wrote mr grey?

Edited by NorthWolf, 05 September 2014 - 02:58 PM.

#130 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Lewiston, Maine

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:15 PM

Yes  You want it for free.  If you pay for it and you don't like it ask for your money back. 

Grey

#131 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:23 AM

I've had the package installed since it was available early last spring and I'm still on the fence as to it being worth the price of admission Uncle Rod. The new SNP7 does not seem aimed at the needs of amateur astronomers looking for a program to assist their observations. The focus of the developers seems to be toward creating a program for developing astronomical presentations possibly for the classroom use or outreach. If you’re not into that type of work there may be older versions of SN that will be better than the current SNP7 for some people. I have and use SNP V6.43 and find that it is more observatory friendly and no streaming downloads for images that are of objects that were already in earlier versions. If there had been a free trial I know I would not have bothered with the "upgrade" It still lacks items that were in older versions and if you want the complete image file they are available but require more than a "plug and play" installation.  As for the free trial complaint, in this case, would have not worked because this program was not ready for prime time and would not have stimulated sales. There have been many complaints in this thread about the problems so it should not come as a surprise to anyone researching SNP7. The company offers a money back guarantee so they will take care of their customers.
Grey

I suppose that's my concern. I am certainly willing to consider SNP7...I had a lot of fun with SNP6. But...if there are a lot of features that are useless when it comes to using it in the field that are cluttering up the program, like being able to fly through space, etc., etc., I'll probably think TheSkyX instead, I suppose. I guess what I was after was a version that fixed the bugs remaining in V6...oh, well. As an astronomy educator, I'd certainly consider this program for use in the classroom. But, frankly, I find (the freeware) Celestia more than adequate for use with my students. Thanks for letting me have your honest opinion on the program. :)

Edited by rmollise, 05 September 2014 - 10:25 AM.

#132 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:56 PM

Yes  You want it for free.  If you pay for it and you don't like it ask for your money back. 

Grey

You misunderstood my point, I guess that is why you were asking me. Ok, actually, no, I don't want it for free, I want to pay for something that is better than Stellarium. That is all really. I love that program so much I would pay a small monthly fee or a one time fee within the Starry night 7 range to use it. I'm not the freeware type, I will use them only when they are better than the competition.

Either that or a demo or some serious feedback that it kicks ****, one of those 3 choices, pick 1.

Edited by NorthWolf, 05 September 2014 - 02:57 PM.

#133 firstmagnitude

firstmagnitude

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Clarksville, TN

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:49 PM

I may be missing it, but are the spacecraft Stereo A & B orbits shown in SN7? It wasn't in 6.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics