• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#176 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: 16 miles south of the Buckfield Mall

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:55 AM

I've asked the guys at Starry Night about making their own forum, not that place called Yahoo groups, so that users of the software could help each other with problems and have honest and open dialogue with the developers on more than one occasion but it fell on deaf ears. I was also a moderator on their self support pages but that was swiftly taken away from me without being even told probably due to the fact that I myself was too critical of the product. I'm fed up with having to constantly send in support tickets and everything being conducted under cloak and dagger on a one-to-one basis via personal email. It's really not on!

We do have forums.  Although I've only been with Simulation Curriculum for about 10 months, I believe these forums have existed for quite some time.

See the left hand menu on this page.

https://support.simu...iculum.com/home

Bill, the forum link seems to be very inactive. The posts in the majority of threads have not been active since last spring. Am I missing something? I really think the site needs to far more interactive to be of any real value to the SNP7 users. This thread on CN seems more alive than the one you posted. Perhaps some rethinking of its format should be considered so to encourage active participation.

Grey

• stringbeans likes this

#177 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:03 AM

Well, we can't force people to use our forums.  Maybe we should stop responding in the Cloudy Nights forum to drive traffic there?

I will discuss it with the rest of the Simulation Curriculum team to see what can be done.

Edited by btschumy, 21 October 2014 - 10:04 AM.

#178 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:46 AM

How about just answering some of my questions here, it will save everyone time, check my last post if you want...thanks

Edited by NorthWolf, 21 October 2014 - 11:04 AM.

#179 firstmagnitude

firstmagnitude

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Clarksville, TN

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:44 PM

Starry Night Pro 6 with a larger Moon on August 21, 2017 than SNP 7.

6.jpg

Edited by firstmagnitude, 21 October 2014 - 10:26 PM.

#180 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:32 PM

How about just answering some of my questions here, it will save everyone time, check my last post if you want...thanks

Remember, I work on SkySafari, not Starry Night.  However, I can answer some of your questions.

Are you able to add new comets? Are you able to add telescopes and eyepieces of choice or at the very least, have some popular choices been added? Are you able to test the field of view with the eyepieces you add?

Yes, you can add new comets via the Orbit Editor.

You are able to add eyepieces, scopes, barlows, binoculars and display FOV circles based upon them.

Your other questions about performance are harder to answer and of course depend on your computer hardware.  The developers have certainly focused a lot of attention on performance though.

#181 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:54 PM

Bill, first I apologize, I forgot you are working at Sky Safari. 2nd, thanks for that information, those features alone will make me buy it. I like the graphics primarily. Thanks again.

Edited by NorthWolf, 21 October 2014 - 08:54 PM.

#182 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:11 PM

SkySafari was acquired by Simulation Curriculum so I am part of the company.  However, most of my time is spent on SkySafari.  I'm not as familiar with the Starry Night feature set.  Nevertheless, I will try to answer questions about it as they arise.

#183 jaf

jaf

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:22 PM

I would really like to see the side panel as a tear-off window so on my desktop system I can put it on my second monitor.  This gives me most of my main monitor for the sky and all the features on the side panel available on the second monitor without going back-and-forth.  Dual monitor support is pretty common these days on most graphics intensive applications.  Of course it's a different story when in the filed using a  laptop/tablet.

Also, since this is stated elsewhere in the forum as "a complete re-write...." I'm surprised there's not a 64 bit version (as well as dual monitor support.)  And what about GPU support?  What about multi-cores?

I'm not really as up-to-speed on V7 as I would like (I do own it) so maybe this is all planned or already implemented.  Or there's a good reason it isn't or won't be.  But I believe SN should be "cutting edge" especially considering it's price.

Edited by jaf, 23 October 2014 - 08:28 PM.

• firstmagnitude and stringbeans like this

#184 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: 16 miles south of the Buckfield Mall

Posted Today, 01:56 PM

New Update available today.

Grey

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics