• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=gzYJaQ0h4Dg

Is it real? Is it considered a meteoroid?

I'm having trouble ruling po0ut the possibility that either a rock was in his parachute or somehow got a ride up with the plane.

It seems to me they would need to find the rock to have such certainty.

#2 Thorkill

Thorkill

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Troms, Norway

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:16 PM

Story is real, and it is considered a meteorite. But yes, they need to find it to verify it.

#3 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:27 PM

Story is real, and it is considered a meteorite. But yes, they need to find it to verify it.

Was it called a meteorite when we saw it in the video? IE Does a meteorite have to hit the surface of the Earth or only the atmosphere.

#4 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• -----
  • Loc: SE MN

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

Truly amazing is it not? I would have thought it would moving much faster. I mean I now the skydiver is hauling too but I cant believe you can actually see it. That camera must take a lot of frames per second.

#5 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

Truly amazing is it not? I would have thought it would moving much faster. I mean I now the skydiver is hauling too but I cant believe you can actually see it. That camera must take a lot of frames per second.

50 FPS. Go Pro.

The rock would've been traveling at between 200 and 400 MPH if it came from space. After reaching terminal velocity, the speed depends on it's shape.

#6 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

"Helstrup’s rock was traveling some 186 mph as he flew by him, the geologists concluded." It was in what they consider "dark flight".

#7 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

"Helstrup’s rock was traveling some 186 mph as he flew by him, the geologists concluded." It was in what they consider "dark flight".

I would like to know what method they used to determine the speed. If it was going 186 MPH, it likely came from his chute or the plane.

We know the number of FPS. We don't know the size of the rock, we don't know it's distance from the camera, I don't see how you could determine it's speed.

What is the expert's methodology?

#8 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

While the possibility exists that this is a meteorite, the other possibility is that it was in his parachute, since he opened the chute and a few seconds later it appears, that is more likely the case. Remember the chute was slowing him down so the meteorite/rock was speeding up. Just my feelings.

#9 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

That would be a huge object to be housed in his chute! I assume that packing chutes are pretty well done to perfection, for safety. Say if it was put in his chute, it could have struck him in the head & killed him.

#10 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oort Cloud 9

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

This is a hoax. The chances of photographing a meteorite, in-flight and in-focus, while falling along side of it is astronomical.

There are billions of people, buildings, and vehicles on the planet and how many are struck by meteorites each day? Now, how many skydivers are in the air around the world at any given moment? 50? 100? The chances of this happening are beyond astronomical.

Best regards,

MikeG

#11 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

That would be a huge object to be housed in his chute! I assume that packing chutes are pretty well done to perfection, for safety. Say if it was put in his chute, it could have struck him in the head & killed him.

Carol, if you look at the video this is a multi chute. You can pack it between the small top chute and the big one. I doubt it would have killed or hurt him, first he had a helmet on and second the rock would have not attained much delta compared to him remember both are falling at terminal velocity. I agree with Mike (this is most likely a hoax).

#12 Thorkill

Thorkill

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

Alittle longer and with English subs: https://www.youtube....player_embedded

#13 avdhoeven

avdhoeven

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: netherlands

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

I did an analysis of the motion. I'm almost sure it's not a hoax. If it would come from the chute it should be accelerating. If you look at the analysis you will see it's moving at a constant velocity.

http://www.astro-pho...orite-video-...

The largest unknown is the size and so the exact speed, but acceleration is independent of that. That can be measured in any case...

#14 Jerry A

Jerry A

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: SW Florida

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

Analysis by someone at NASA (I think - I'll track down the link) shows that it is a piece of gravel released from his pack.

#15 Jerry A

Jerry A

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

http://www.planetary...ballistics.html

#16 Jerry A

Jerry A

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:34 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't rely on a geologist to calculate the acceleration of a free-falling rock. Much like I wouldn't rely on a brain surgeon to calculate the acceleration of a free-falling brain. Both are certainly experts in their respective fields, but neither field happens to be physics or forensic analysis.

#17 Thorkill

Thorkill

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

Was it called a meteorite when we saw it in the video? IE Does a meteorite have to hit the surface of the Earth or only the atmosphere.

In case this was real, from Wiki: "A meteorite is a solid piece of debris, from such sources as asteroids or comets, that originates in outer space and survives its impact with the Earth's surface. It is called a meteoroid before its impact."

#18 DSObserver2000

DSObserver2000

Ranger 4

• Loc: North Texas

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

that video just didn't spark the "i believe this" neurons in my brain. To me, this guy just wanted to go skydiving with his pet rock that he left in his chute. What a bad pet owner! :roflmao:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics