Zeiss Winkel Microscope.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brentwood

brentwood

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: BC Canada

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:43 PM

I am not in any way a microscope person, but yesterday while checking the trap lines (pawn, thrift and junk stores!) I saw this microscope for $150 with a nice wooden case. There appears to be a few different models with this name, but it looked more like this one. Link to similar looking model.
Is this a really good buy, or just ho hum?

#2 stevie

stevie

Spiderman

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:55 AM

If it's complete then go for it .

#3 brentwood

brentwood

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: BC Canada

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

No, as I said I am not a 'microscoper'! I was just interested if it was way under priced, looks like it isn't.

#4 Hikari

Hikari

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine, USA

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

No, it is certainly not under priced. The price is reasonable, but the used microscope market is a bit strange. It is more of a collector's piece.

#5 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

• Loc: Bay Area, California

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

I've been shopping the used microscope market myself. There are many pitfalls for the unwary in the classic market. For instance, the Reichert/Leica Microstar IV that goes for ~$600-$1000 used. eBay has a couple under $300, but caveat emptor.

There's one for $210, but with two Olympus oculars and only 3 (of 5) objectives, a 10X Plan Achro, and 50X and 100X oil. Two of the objectives aren't listed as infinity objective options in the Reichert reference manual, so they're probably mismatched.

A $265 Microstar IV with five proper infinity objectives and listed in excellent condition, raises the red flag when the seller claims he doesn't know how to test its working condition.

A $289 Microstar IV doesn't describe what objectives are installed at all, nor the condition of the scope. The history of that item shows it's been listed on eBay since November of last year.

Then you read the comments about Reichert optics, and learn that many people think American Optical's best years ended by the mid 1970s before the changeover to the Reichert name.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics