• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bartine

bartine

Apollo

• Loc: Potomac, MD

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

Hi all

My nephew is a very bright kid with a very keen interest in Astronomy. I'm trying to help out my sister by locating some learning opportunities for him this summer.

They live in the Fort Walton Beach area, and will also spend a month around Cocoa Beach and Orlando.

Any suggestions on an astronomy camp in the Florida area?

Best star party in the panhandle or around Orlando?

Thanks so much!

Ben

#2 Seanem44

Seanem44

Apollo

• Loc: Woodbridge, VA

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

Ben...

Being a former Marlyander and current Virginian, with a wife who is from West Palm Beach, I'll try and help out as no one else has yet.

I would start googling Cape Canaveral and what oppurtunities the Kennedy Space Center has to offer. I am almost certain they still do the Space Camp that I always lusted for when I was 10 but never could go to.

As far as star parties, don't think you'll have much luck with good seeing in Orlando. I have done research and about an hour from where my wife lives is Lake Okeechobee, which is a green/orange zone. I know there are plenty of star parties in FL though.

One suggestion might be a trip to Key West, with a further trip to Dry Tortugas. It is a Dark Sky Site and I hear it is quite lovely. I have also heard to not take equipment you care about, as the salt in the air is brutal. That would be a cool trip for any kid... or adult for that matter,

Wish I could help more.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics