Mars 09 / 04

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:55 AM

Hi, here's a mars sketch from thursday evening. the seeing was fair and it's the increased size that allowed some details to be seen despite the 30° elevation.

the npc looks tiny and not well defined, just to the right of it some darker feature was seen (boreum mare?). I tend to invariably see and sketch the mare acidalicum region a little different each time. it's an interesting site with lots of subtle details and tone differences, which makes it very hard to reproduce in a sketch imo.
sinus sabaeus very well and sharply defined, and mare erythraeum (void of inner details to me)to the south.
the edge around the globe appeared 'lit up' (opposition time effect?) with perhaps a little haze or clouds creeping on the disk at right.

i've had some difficulties in viewing Mars through my binoviewer in the past, not being able to merge the two images but it seems that when the disk grows to 14 -15" i can merge them without much difficulty! 10" or any smaller and i can't do it. it's a lot less fatigueing for the eyes and pleasant to look thru the bino, but to squeeze out details, mono mode has a clear edge in my (limited) experience...

PS: the small black dot/streak at the 9 'o clock position is some kind of scanning artifact, it's not a observed feature.

Posted Image

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:05 AM

Kris,

Beautifully captured. I especially like the color of the sandy-dusty surface which matches what I see at my eyepiece.

Frank :)

#3 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

Kris,

Nice sketch of Mars :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#4 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

Kris,

An excellent observation of Mars. You have recorded several interesting albedo features. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Regards,
Carlos

#5 Ed D

Ed D

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

Good observation and sketch with a lot of detail.

Ed D

#6 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:12 AM

Glad you got the telescope out ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics