Celestron NexStar Evolution

• Please log in to reply
654 replies to this topic

#76 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

I've found that a 3S LiPo battery works fine.

http://www.cloudynig...d=nexstar&am...

#77 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

I have been using ebay LiPo packs (search "12V LiPo Battery", sold for CCTV application) without any problems as of yet. They run around $25 shipped with charger. Our astro application is low current draw, and I haven't found the need for high discharge packs even though I have them for other purposes.

That said, I still treat these packs with a little more caution and respect compared to NiMH; charge only under supervision and don't physically abuse the pack. I've yet to taken apart the ebay packs (will do soon), but iirc from reading other reports they have on-board low-voltage cut-off and charging circuitry built in.

#78 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

The LiPo battery I use came from my hexacopter. It had a broken lead which I repaired but don't trust it in flight. Therefore, it has become my scope battery. I also use all the precautions while charging or handling these batteries. They work great but you have to follow the rules. A voltage monitor can be plugged in during use and when it hits 10.0V, stop and recharge in the balance mode at 1C.

I'm not sure about the eBay batteries but most LiPo have the main discharge wires and the balance cable. This cable is just a wire to each cell in the pack and is necessary for balance charging.

#79 Fimpster

Fimpster

Vanguard

• Loc: Aprox. 1 AU from Sun

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:29 PM

I will be very interested to read actual reviews of these once they have been field tested. Particularly in the 9.25.

I briefly owned an 8se but exchanged it for CPC800. While not the primary reason I exchanged it, the heavier tripod and worm gears ended up being a huge benefit of the CPC800 over the 8se. I would certainly want to use a 2" diagonal, and I currently use one that threads directly to the OTA on my CPC800. If the NS-Evo 9.25 OTA can be moved far enough forward for clearance at zenith, and it as stable as the CPC line, I could see an upgrade (sidegrade?) from CPC800 to NS-Evo9.25.

#80 core

core

Apollo

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:31 PM

The ebay pack, like the Starizona one I've seen, has only a single charging lead in. **my best guess** is that the balance charging board in built into the batter pack (again, I need to remove the shrink-wrap on my ebay LiPo - they should also include short protection along with low voltage cutoff). I also plug the included charger thru a wattmeter to get readings on how much I put back in, and also how much a particular setup I have has drawn in an observing session - so far I've never gone above 4Ah for a whole night's use; have the numbers somewhere.:D

fwiw it was a rather eventful early days for electric R/C LiPo use about a decade ago; quite a few fires on equipment, indoors, garage, vehicles! Still remember ThunderPower's initial claim that their cell-matching assembly didn't require balance charging :shocked:. Buddy of mine learnt the hard way with 2x 5s packs (10s) powering +1kW outrunners dying an early death.

With LiPo in commercial use like the new Evo mounts, one has to take into account not just the wholesale cost of the batteries, but there's liability issues as well. Hopefully the engineering side of it would have taken care with multiple safety redundancies.

#81 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

Do you have a link to that pack? I looked on eBay but find too many to evaluate.

#82 MadHungarian

MadHungarian

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Rainy WA

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:28 AM

That's actually what i like about the 6SE on the stock tripod -- i can pick the whole thing up in one piece and carry it somewhere (usually out to the sidewalk). With a little Starizona LiIon battery back (or equivalent) hooked up to it, it'd be even better. But i often wish i had an 8" OTA i could put on it too when i need a little more power.

Is this the battery pack yo are referring to?

https://starizona.co.../batteries.aspx

They currently sell the Starizona II+ model, which i think is a generation or two beyond the original Pinto model. Hopefully it's a bit safer. At least i've read good things about it. But it's all a moot point, because i don't have any money to buy one anyway. I've got my sights set on an Evolution instead.

#83 Branskins

Branskins

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:18 AM

Does anyone know the verdict on the 8 vs 9.25? It seems like a small increase in aperture...am I missing something? I tried doing some research and I came across a few praising the 9.25 for it's sharpness. Would it really be that noticeable?

I know I want either the 8 or the 9.25 but I want to be informed enough to know if the 9.25 is worth it

#84 core

core

Apollo

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:03 AM

Do you have a link to that pack? I looked on eBay but find too many to evaluate.

The one I picked up last July is this one.

I'd reckon they are probably all from the same, if not similar sources. There isn't any charging instructions; basically plug in, battery pack switch to "on", and charge till the green light switches off. I'm looking to get another pack from a different seller, the ones that are enclosed in a black plastic case.

hmm, on second thot do a search for "18650 12V" - a couple of interesting products using 18650 cells, which should be safer. Not sure about max current draw though.

#85 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

Did not find any mention of balance charging but a simple controller could be imbedded in the case with access to each cell. A set of swamping resistors and Shottky diodes would also work if the cells were not too mismatched. It would just take a little longer to charge and the case would get warm.

#86 Michael Cox

Michael Cox

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Barstow, CA

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

I have been following the discussion regarding the new Evolution scope line and am looking at the 8" model since giving my 6SE to my Navy son & his family up in Washington state. My big concern is the battery and it's replacement when the time comes. I am not a fan of having to send the entire scope or mount back to Celestron just to get the battery replaced. Since I have not seen or heard anything from Celestron about the ability to replace the battery I would assume it is not user replaceable.

#87 hamdul

hamdul

Viking 1

• Loc: Litchfield NH, USA

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

If we're going to assume I'd assume just the opposite.
I can't believe that Celestron would produce a product that requires factory Maintenance periodically. How dumb.

Fred

#88 cirrus1500

cirrus1500

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: California

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

I bought their 17Ah power tank 10 years ago, and it is user replaceable (not sure if it was intended by Celestron for it to be so). I replaced the battery 3 times already. Hopefully the Evolution's battery will be self-replaceable too.

#89 Michael Cox

Michael Cox

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Barstow, CA

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

Cirrus1500: After owning 2 Celestron 17Ah tanks and having one of them die and not recharge, I contacted Celestron asking if the battery could be changed out and if directions were available to replace the battery. Celestron reps indicated this was not a user option and proper disposal of the battery should be followed. I was very lucky to have seen a discussion on CN that detailed how to take the tank apart and what replacement battery was needed.

hamdul: My concerns regardinding how Celestron would deal with battery issues are based on their previous actions related to my need to replace a dead battery in my 17Ah tank and their lack of support regarding a new replacement battery. So yes, I would assume from the start that the battery would not be a user serviceable item. I will be very happy if they thought this issue through when putting this new scope/mount out into the market. Time will tell if this new scope is a winner.

#90 Dadadee

Dadadee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Near Montreal, Qc, Canada

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

I asked a few questions to my favorite telescope retailer. He got the anwers back fron a Celestron engineer today:

Nexstar Evolution batteries are projected to last 10 years
They will be replacable by the users
The telescope is made to function at below minus 10 degree Celcius

:)

I can not wait to get my new scope. A Evolution 6 incher. :).

#91 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

Ben,

We expect lots of pictures (unpacking, first light setup, and maybe even some shots through the scope when you're ready).

#92 Larry Hansen

Larry Hansen

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: MIchigan - Nevada in winter

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

Looking forward to your report on this one!

#93 karthik008

karthik008

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

I thought this SGL link might be useful: http://stargazerslou...olution-tele...

#94 Sloan

Sloan

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Arlington, TX

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:36 AM

Celestron is going to demo their Evolution scope at the Texas Star Party next week.

#95 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

Are you going to be there? If there's any chance you can look through it at high mag and see how stable it is compared to the 8SE, I think a lot of people here would be interested!

-Dan

#96 Sloan

Sloan

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Arlington, TX

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:01 PM

Yes, the telescopes will be set up to use. I will check them out. I am interested in the mount. I have been told that just the mount maybe available in 2015.

#97 SuperDraco

SuperDraco

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

Check out this cool review by Mike Fowler down at OC telescopes....
https://www.google.c...=s&frm=1&sou...

#98 chobits

chobits

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: French Valley, California

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

I'm new here. also new to telescopes. I was wondering if the celestron nexstar evolution 8 be a good starter scope for me. I've also look at the Omni xlt 120 also the se 152. the nexstar seems to me to be the best choice being since I know nothing it will help me find things other than the moon. I'll be getting one next month on the 4th if opt is open. sorry like I said I'm new don't know where else to ask or post for this.

#99 chobits

chobits

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: French Valley, California

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

**SLOAN** any details on the capabilities from the Texas Star Party? I'm really curious how well it does, and what it looks like when zoomed in at high power. I've never seen Jupiter or Saturn also. will you be able to see these well with this? gl enjoy clear skies

#100 hamdul

hamdul

Viking 1

• Loc: Litchfield NH, USA

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:58 PM

Here's another video of the set up.

https://www.youtube....h?v=0zIJUlnjWQ0

Fred

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics