911 replies to this topic

#201 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

Bill,

On any new SCT you'll hear folks talking about the course focuser feel. Running the focuser through it's full range a few times (hard on the wrist) does help re distribute the lubrication on the threaded focuser rod inside the scope and smooths things a bit.

You do also get used to the speed of the focuser mechanism and with some practice are usually able to focus more accurately. One trick is to run through the focus point a bit turning the knob clockwise and then finishing to the final focus point by turning counter clockwise. This weights the focuser (removing any play from the threads) and the final turns of the knob pushes (rather than pulls) the mirror.

The SCT microfocuser is also a great upgrade ... but I would wait a little while before doing it, you may find that over time the stock setup is working well enough for you.

#202 ehallspqr

ehallspqr

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Port Townsend, WA. USA

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

This is a Canadian company you think they should know metric? I think it's a simple math mistake. Celestron lists total kit weight at 35.4 lbs. They are listing 33.2lbs. Somethings off in their math.

#203 MoabStargazer

MoabStargazer

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Moab, UT

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:56 PM

Evan, clutches are tight, for sure. I've emailed Astronomics again today with the info I posted here this morning, hopefully being a Premier Select Dealer they will have easier access to Celestron for an answer. I also put in a Tech Support request with Celestron. I have yet to come across a phone number for them. And, their chat line is always off-line. Will be interesting to see how quick they respond, especially re a new product.

Mark, thanks for that info. I will definitely give'r a few spins.

#204 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:46 PM

This is a Canadian company you think they should know metric? I think it's a simple math mistake. Celestron lists total kit weight at 35.4 lbs. They are listing 33.2lbs. Somethings off in their math.

Well it could certainly be just a typo or simple math mistake. Another possibility when you see relatively small differences like this in published weights is due to the difference between actual and shipped weights.

The shipping boxes often have the weights pre stamped on them, and some dealers will post those numbers if the vendor hasn't provided anything better. Then the vendor comes along and posts actuals (which are usually a little bit lower because of the weight of the packaging materials) and you end up with two sets of numbers floating around.

#205 MoabStargazer

MoabStargazer

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

Just got done playing with my iPhone 5s and the SkyPortal inside the house. Like yesterday with the iPad, it seems to work flawlessly. Will give it a go outside in about 8 hours to take it for a test run. Fingers crossed.

#206 chobits

chobits

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: French Valley, California

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

"I also put in a Tech Support request with Celestron. I have yet to come across a phone number for them"

I've called this # 1-310-803-5955 try it ^^ guys an A$$ when he talks to me but the few times my wife gets on and I relays questions to her to him :p lol he will sit an hour and talk easly lol

#207 MoabStargazer

MoabStargazer

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:17 AM

SUCCESS !! Just had our first "as advertised" stargazing. The iPhone 5s, SkyPortal and the Evolution 8 worked together exactly as they should. Only took this rookie seven minutes to align and then slew to view Saturn. :jump:

Astronomics did contact Celestron who in turn emailed me about the problems. Not surprisingly, they are very interested in getting to the bottom of the issues with the iPad and the SkyPortal app. Sure hope they can push out a fix for the iPad, it is so much easier to read and use. I will post here if I get more info. Kudos to Astronomics for getting Celestron involved.

Now we can start having some fun!

#208 pugsx

pugsx

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Arlington, VA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:51 AM

I've got a 9.25" Evo on order. Will see when it shows up.

You know what would be a great feature? If we could slew to the limits of our viewing area and limit all the selections to that particular viewing zone. THAT would be a great feature. I don't want Polaris showing up on the list when it is clearly blocked where I am set up.

#209 chobits

chobits

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:10 AM

just a random question since I'm in to remote control cars. how does the evo stay on one channel and not get controlled or have interference from other devices in the area that might have also the same celestron ap sky portal downloaded on there tablets or cellphones. or can only 1 device be connected at all times? or in memory is it stored as a perm device? since wi-fi isn't it always looking for other devices same as blue tooth and cars?

#210 chobits

chobits

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:20 AM

next week, I'm almost there too! yay the wait is almost finally over. god I'm so excited new toy :p over the years has any one noticed if telescopes ever go on sale during memorial day, 4th July, black Friday, or x-mas? or these just trivial items that are to select crowds that only a few want that rarely go on sale?

#211 chobits

chobits

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:27 AM

so whats the reason why they haven't got pc / laptop to go wireless yet with the Evo. my pc & labby have Bluetooth built in and are obviously wireless too. so whats up??? why are we still stuck to using wires and cables??? i feel like we still in the dinosaur age. or will that be for the next gen model lol

#212 pugsx

pugsx

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

so whats the reason why they haven't got pc / laptop to go wireless yet with the Evo. my pc & labby have Bluetooth built in and are obviously wireless too. so whats up??? why are we still stuck to using wires and cables??? i feel like we still in the dinosaur age. or will that be for the next gen model lol

LOL. Soon, I guess. When is you evo arriving? Mine says 7/1 but I'm not holding my breadth.

#213 chobits

chobits

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

mines 7/3 hehe....biting nails but I'll be picking it up from the local telescope store...they better have it in stock! might have to call and check to have 1 on hold for me last i check they had 3 and 2 at nother location...I should be fine till then I think

#214 MoabStargazer

MoabStargazer

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

Ramon, I've been wondering about the same things. A couple of things I would really, really like to be able to do.

1. Use the wired controller in conjunction with the SkyPortal primarily for tweaking the object in the eyepiece after StarPortal has got you there. Quite frankly, I found last night that using the iPhone to control movement is not really all that convenient since you have to look from eyepiece to phone and back. Actually a PITA. Would be nice to use the controller.

2. Remote view, wirelessly, to inside the house especially for those cold winter nights.

#215 chobits

chobits

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:49 AM

ya since its got a distance of some say 20+feet i think u can do that wireless easily from the house Maybe a pc setup next to a open window inside house preferably down stairs. I wish i could remote from my bed room upstairs but i think its beyond its reach. but i have something like a wi-fi extender and wondered if that would work / wifi booster. i used it before for my old x-box 360 to help boost signal to my router upstairs

#216 pugsx

pugsx

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

Ramon, I've been wondering about the same things. A couple of things I would really, really like to be able to do.

1. Use the wired controller in conjunction with the SkyPortal primarily for tweaking the object in the eyepiece after StarPortal has got you there. Quite frankly, I found last night that using the iPhone to control movement is not really all that convenient since you have to look from eyepiece to phone and back. Actually a PITA. Would be nice to use the controller.

2. Remote view, wirelessly, to inside the house especially for those cold winter nights.

So you can't have the HC hooked up PLUS use the iphone at the same time?

#217 MoabStargazer

MoabStargazer

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:55 AM

Actually, you can, but I don't know if the SkyPortal picks up the changes or not. I just assumed it did not. Will require a little testing, maybe tonight.

#218 chobits

chobits

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

this I don't know am also puzzled by. I think the combination of a wired device pc / laptop with a seperate wireless device should do it but two wireless I think it shouldn't if does it needs too have option to stop other incoming devices. but then again what do you do at star parties I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing and have a remedy for this. these are all thoughts nothing factual. but things I been wondering since I'll be getting one and wonder how this will affect me directly

#219 chobits

chobits

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

ya i also wanted the idea of wifing from inside cause i wanted to hook up my laptop to tv in my bedroom 70" and blow it up! hehe skies the limit :p or would that just come out pixelated? does a good graphics card help?

#220 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:28 AM

just a random question since I'm in to remote control cars. how does the evo stay on one channel and not get controlled or have interference from other devices in the area that might have also the same celestron ap sky portal downloaded on there tablets or cellphones. or can only 1 device be connected at all times? or in memory is it stored as a perm device? since wi-fi isn't it always looking for other devices same as blue tooth and cars?

Ramon,

Very simply, the same way your wifi network is separate from your neighbour's network. This is an intelligent network, not a simple radio broadcast. Remember how you initially setup your tablet device? (choosing the network the scope creates), that connects your device with just your scope.

If you were at a star party with a bunch of Evolutions you would initially see the other networks created by the other scopes (assuming you are close enough to them), but you only choose one of them (yours) and then your device only talks to that scope and vice versa. Your device could certainly be setup to control multiple Evolutions, just not at the same time ... just the same as your device could connect to multiple networks (wifi spots) but only one at a time.

#221 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:13 AM

For remote operations (watching images from the scope) have a look in the VEAA and Astronomy Software & Computers forums. There's probably nothing there in terms of active threads but if you search for things like remote control, remote imaging, remote PC, VPN, etc. over the past few years you should find plenty of discussions.

First you have to be able to control the scope (app or connection to the hand controller), this is a low speed fairly simple connection and with the Evolution setup and even easier component. You also need to view though the telescope, this means a sensitive camera and not a planetary camera unless all you want to look at are solar system objects. You need fast exposure capability to be able to find objects (you may be moving the scope around to find a faint object, so waiting longer between exposures is not an option). You also need to ensure that the scope points to objects very accurately (or you'll drive yourself crazy trying to search for the objects), this means the scope must work very well. You'll need to get very good at doing an accurate initial alignment and keeping the scope in sync with the control application. This won't be trivial, you'll need to have some good solid experience with your scope before considering running it remotely.

In general you have two directions to go in (with many different technology options within each).

1) Directly extend the channels to view through and control the telescope to the device you want to view on. Tablets and phones are practically useless at the viewing part except for wireless connectivity (they don't support the required direct connectivity) and there you will usually incur substantial expense and sometimes performance issues (it takes money to do good video streaming over wireless connections). There is the possibility of setting up a hybrid or wired and wireless connectivity. Wireless control of the scope itself and wired connectivity of the display to something like a big screen TV. This hybrid concept could be a good cost effective method since you'll already have the control side take care of.

2) Remote connect to a local PC. Here you dedicate a PC to control the scope, and it's physically located close to the scope. All the traditional connections (USB, serial, video, etc.) are used between the scope/cameras and the local PC. You then run remote viewing software (usually a VPN) on the PC and have it on a good wifi or hard wired Ethernet network. Then you have the other side of the remote viewing software on your viewing and control device (other PC, tablet/phone, etc.). The PC doesn't need to be very powerful so it's a good use of an older PC. The general downside is the performance on the viewing device, it's not like viewing and running things on the local PC, there is a slight lag but if you set it up well the lag is very slight.

#222 MoabStargazer

MoabStargazer

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

Thank you very much Mark for the great thumbnail of information. Obviously this would not be an overnight setup. But at least your post gives me an idea of the obstacles ahead and a sense of what one would face.

#223 core

core

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:03 PM

just a random question since I'm in to remote control cars. how does the evo stay on one channel and not get controlled or have interference from other devices

slightly OT, but fwiw, R/C has moved away from fixed channels on 27/52/72/75MHz into 2.4GHz spread spectrum (DSM, DSM2, DSMX, DSMR), there's a neat video demo here of a R/C heli with 100 transmitter broadcasting at the same t...

I'm not certain about SkyPortal, but by default it does seem that any device running the app should be able to see a scope's wifi, and there is no password you can setup. But once it's linked, no other device should be able to control it. Wi-Fi is setup to be always 'looking', it's a matter of what devices you've setup in the auto connect list.

fwiw, star parties such as Texas Star Party (and I'd wager it will be the default rule for others soon enough) have a complete ban on standalone (ad-hoc) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth telescope controls, you have to set them up in client configuration (ie, the WiFi Scope has to connect to the general WiFi provided, and you app/program has to connect to same WiFi and control it from there). TSP WiFi rules

#224 MoabStargazer

MoabStargazer

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

Just paced off the range on the Evolution's wi-fi and it worked out to 85'. That is unobstructed, line of sight, no walls, windows or doors to go thru. Maybe tonight I can get a better measurement with a tape. Your experience may vary.

#225 chobits

chobits

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

so it's impossible for some random kid in the neighborhood to download the ap to their tablet or cell and try to attempt linking to my telescope cause mines be a one of a kind in the area "easy to find wifi wize" ^^ controlling my scope when I don't want them too? only thought cause it didn't sound like it had a password or anything to block it...cause in anything wifi its an open source hince accessible or hackable by any one i think...plz make me wrong.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics