• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 starquake

starquake

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Nádasdladány

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:38 AM

Hi there, some months ago I've found a slag. At least I'm 99% sure its not out of our world.

Here are some images (I've taken them with my phone, sorry for the quality): 1

It features the typical characteristics of an everyday slag:

- it has shiny, melted parts
- some part that looks like coal
- doesn't react to a strong magnet at all

Why I still wanted to post it here is that remaining 1% of chance that is made up from the circumstances of how and where I've found it:

- I found it in our backyard, that's about 20m above and 100m behind our front yard, so it's not possible that someone thrown it there
- I found it at a place where I'm regularly mowing the lawn in the last 7 years. If it was there earlier, the lawnmower would already catch it, not to mention, that I planted some bushes right next to it that demand constant attention, so it's quite unlikely that it remained unnoticed for so long. (It's size is similar to that of a notebook-sized computer mouse)
- It was half underground
- There was no mud or anything on it, even the underground part was so clean that I only had to remove some minor patches of soil.
- There are no roads or anything behind our backyard, only large fields and forests, so it's not possible, that it got there during some road works.
- There are absolutely no natural rocks nearby. The nearest place where rocks are not buried by thick layer of soil is about 8km away.
- Heavier than a similar piece of coal or rock.

So if this is a slag, how did it get there, and how did it remain unnoticed by me for so long?

Anyhow, even if it's not a meteorite - which I'm 99% certain of -, I'm still happy with it, because it's nice. But that 1% still bothers me.

Can anyone round my 99% up to 100, so I can move on? :)

#2 Thorkill

Thorkill

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Troms, Norway

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

Hey Ferenc

I am a meteorite noob, but i have some thoughts about youre post.

First that the majority of meteorites(99% i think) does react to a strong magnet, so if youre finding doesn`t react to a strong magnet, it is most likely not a meteorite.

Off the Pictures it seems the melted parts are glassy / ceramics look alike, melted around or ontop of a rock.

You say it feels heavier than a similar piece of rock, but the reason meteorites are heavier than a similar Earth size rock, is the iron content, and that makes it respond to a magnet wich Yours doesnt.

Anyways this is what i got for now! What was that ol saying? The chase is better than the catch? Best of luck man! :)

#3 meteordealer

meteordealer

Vendor Meteordealer

• ***--
  • Vendors

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

99.9% not a meteorite. Looks like the leftovers of something that was burned in a fire.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics